OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

skyhogg

I'll toss out a couple thoughts...

First of all, I'm kind of like you. These guys are the geniuses and figure everything out, I just copy what sounds good for my situation. Secondly, yes, OBI "should" have worked out most of these design flaws. But they didn't. I should be tall and skinny, but I'm not. Thirdly, I'm certainly not going to try and convince you to spend this kind of money, that's all on you! Only you know your unique situation. For us, the Dweller has been pretty good. It's just the Princess and I, plus a dog or two. We pretty much boondock exclusively, usually for 3-4 nights at a time. Seems like it's almost always up a pretty rough 4WD forest road or the like.

Yes! It likes to bounce on the highway! The up-graded shocks didn't cost too much and took me two hours to swap out. Concentrating the load in front of the axle, traveling with a full front water tank, and maintaining good tire pressure has made it much more comfortable at highway speeds. Heck, the manual for my truck says not to exceed 62 mph while towing,! The camper is pretty solid below 65, I cruise around 67 most of the time. But I also spend a lot of time towing on rough, 4WD roads...it sure handles great in those situations. Kind of a compromise for me. If your not going off-road, definitely better pulling campers out there!

Weight and load calculation's aren't really that complicated, and they provide very valuable information. Everyone travels and camps differently, with different tow vehicles and loads. My biggest issue is staying below the GVWR for my rig, not towing capacity or tongue weight.

No, it does not charge the batteries while driving. Not a glitch or design flaw, just a decision the manufacturer made. But it hasn't been a concern for me yet. Plug it in the night before and hit the road. I wouldn't call it a "retro-fit", but adding DC to DC charging from your TV isn't too hard.

A 3-way fridge? Seriously? My experience was that they worked well when on shore power, which we never are. It would quickly drain the batteries and barely cooled anything running off propane. Ours was quickly delegated to dry storage. This fridge on the Dweller maybe the best thing about the camper! We love it. I guess if your out boondocking for weeks...

Our sink has not leaked all over our spoons and we haven't sheared off any cords. Roof is is still solid. The stove kind of sucks, but they all do. I did replace the tongue jack, but it was probably user error that bent up the original one. And the radio/tv has never worked, but also something I don't care about.

As to your last concern, I don't expect any of these companies to be around for long and plan on being in "survival" mode from the get go. We have a great dealer, but their hands are tied dealing with the manufacturers and the fact that all the "appliances" are actually warrantied by the specific supplier. I trust my dealer to get the work done right, but it will take 2-3 months sitting on their lot, while I could knock it out afterwork and be camping next weekend.

It's all about your expectations, your specific situation, and knowing what else is out there. Yes, the Dweller costs a lot of money and has had some problems, but after two years we have no regrets. I haven't seen anything else I would buy instead.
Thanks Wingshot for the thoughtful response. I guess that after doing all of this research, I just expected less "hacks" for spending so much and the situation with the company and the dealers really concerns me. I havent made up my mind as my good old Launch 19 is still going strong. That fridge is awesome. I put it on propane and it lasts as long as the propane does. Keeps my Klondike bars ready to go after a long mountain bike ride. I've never had it fail me.

Anyway I'm still comparing. Overall I think I want quality and customer service above all. I'm looking at the Boreas (really expensive) and the MDC campers which look really comparable.

We'll see...

S J

What exactly does one get for 5k
Basically advice, upgrades and access to adventures with their roamer crew. I spoke with Obi directly recently and asked about the roa upgrade in regards to the 2nd bunk. They told me since they attached 2nd bunk to wall, it would void warranty in regards to wall structure.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Basically advice, upgrades and access to adventures with their roamer crew. I spoke with Obi directly recently and asked about the roa upgrade in regards to the 2nd bunk. They told me since they attached 2nd bunk to wall, it would void warranty in regards to wall structure.
That's with any modification to any vehicle. Just like your vehicle, any modifications that result in a direct failure voids warranty.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

So 5k for advice and getting into the queue for upgrades that likely void warranty that you have to pay for over and above the 5k and you get to be a Roamer? Boy I personally would take a hard pass on that deal. Camping with a huge group of people defeats the purpose of getting away especially if one like to camp off grid. Everyone is different

S J

So 5k for advice and getting into the queue for upgrades that likely void warranty that you have to pay for over and above the 5k and you get to be a Roamer? Boy I personally would take a hard pass on that deal. Camping with a huge group of people defeats the purpose of getting away especially if one like to camp off grid. Everyone is different
Agreed

WingShot

Thanks Wingshot for the thoughtful response. I guess that after doing all of this research, I just expected less "hacks" for spending so much and the situation with the company and the dealers really concerns me. I havent made up my mind as my good old Launch 19 is still going strong. That fridge is awesome. I put it on propane and it lasts as long as the propane does. Keeps my Klondike bars ready to go after a long mountain bike ride. I've never had it fail me.

Anyway I'm still comparing. Overall I think I want quality and customer service above all. I'm looking at the Boreas (really expensive) and the MDC campers which look really comparable.

We'll see...
Quality and customer service?!? Don't we all.

I wish you good luck, and let us know where you end up.

CowboyKyle

There are plenty of RV master techs, talented mechanics, and parts providers out there in the country. It just goes to show you that relying on warranties is a losing play. Once you drive off the lot you need to become self sufficient from the seller. Unless there is some catastrophic structural failure, you should be prepared to find parts and services from other sources.
A traditional RV Tech is going to be 90% lost when it comes to OBi Campers.

Treefarmer1

A traditional RV Tech is going to be 90% lost when it comes to OBi Campers.
You're probably right, but I would use your statistic in a different way. About 90% of "RV techs" just aren't very good problem solvers and mechanics. They can usually handle the basic stuff from the mass produced RVs on the market. You need to find those 10% who are good. I don't think the Dwellers have any unique technology anywhere on them. A good mechanic could handle anything on them and make non-stock parts work if the OEM parts were not available. For example, we have an "exotic" suspension on our trailer (Cruise Master ATX). We've already found good sources for comparable parts (bearings, caps, seals, shocks, brake lines, etc.) here in the US. Good trailer and truck suspension shops aren't confused by products from outside the US. They can find the parts here or fabricate what's needed. The same is true for the other system components in a trailer.

EWilli150

Awesome camp site. How does the Tacoma do pulling the Dweller?
Tows great. 2,400 mile 2 week road trip went off without a hitch.
That's fantastic. I have the Dweller 13 and a TundraV8 but my son has a Tacoma. I've been curious if he could tow it. Thanks for the reply. Enjoy the Dweller!!

tjtx

Awesome camp site. How does the Tacoma do pulling the Dweller?

That's fantastic. I have the Dweller 13 and a TundraV8 but my son has a Tacoma. I've been curious if he could tow it. Thanks for the reply. Enjoy the Dweller!!
I just made our longest trip yet, 400 miles from West Houston to New Orleans with a couple of small detours. I'm towing my Dweller 13 with my DCSB '23 Tacoma. I've got the Equalizer WD hitch, DO35 and swapped out to the Monroe shocks and it tows perfectly flat even at 80+ mph. No hopping, swaying, or porpoising when I hit bumps. I only got it up that fast once or twice on the trip and stuck to mainly 65-70mph but it was totally fine. The Tacoma has the latest KDMAX tune on it which made a huge difference. I think we averaged about 12mpg on the way here which isn't great but I only ever get about 18mpg anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater