Official Overland Expo 2011 thread: Videos, Pictures and Updates

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Local Motors Rally Fighter
there are some threads around here by Haven and a bit of google mojo will shed more light
they are made here in Phx and very cool

r3run33

Adventurer
hello thanks so much for all the pics!!!! hey did anyone see the new arb roof top tent? not sure if they were there thanks.

rmirandayopo

Adventurer
Overland Expo, Amado, AZ. April 1st to 3rd, 2011.
By: Roberto L. Miranda

I’m always looking for new activities to me, but always related with the four wheel drive and the outdoors world. The Overland Expo sounds great, but is hosted in Amado, Arizona. That little town is like 8 hours driving straight from home in OC, California. You do the math in terms of gas money. Having the Pomona Expo or the Sema Show in Vegas, the Sand Sports Expo and the LA Auto Show close by, make no sense to me to drive so far to another similar expo.

Alexis was there last year, he was dreaming about opening a shop related to this activity, as well as driving around the world. The shop becomes a reality while we are still dreaming about driving and camping around the world, called over landing in modern terms. The driving will be on hold for a while, and the shop is so demanding that is not even fun.

A long story short, I was invited as “vendor assistant” for this year Expo, helping Alexis and Rusty in one or two things, like driving to get there or driving back while they rest. Also, I was helping them standing at the booth when they are doing the “business talk” all over the Expo. Packing/Unpacking stuff was part of the deal as well. What I gained doing that? Nothing, I just take pictures to share and the opportunity to talk with people with same interest. I’m not sharing gas expenses either. To me, is a win-win situation!

The people behind scenes of the Overland Expo is totally aware of this situation, so they offered tons of trainings related to this activity, like GPS navigation, map lectures and so many other topics to bring people like me to that little town in the middle of no where. You can’t get so many options in any other expo, so I believe that is the key for their success bringing people and vendors to the remote location. Vendors are not so happy about so many trainings, but let’s face it, that is why so many people are there in first place.

The amenities for low budget vendors like us were great. You basically camp at your booth, but they offered day care for small kids, that works great for the couple in front of us let me tell you. We had access to hot showers and clean restrooms, different than the general public ones, that where great too. In terms of food, you can fix your own meals with your camping gear, or take advantage of the two restaurants and other food related areas. We did both, but buying food is so convenient that we hardly cook anything, besides the fact that our booth’s neighbors were cooking all the time, we had plenty of food.

Land Rover was the only “brand” doing test drive for people, with brand new Range Rovers. People could drive their own car on the track as well, or that was my impression, I didn’t ask to be honest. Kristina, and old friend of the NorCal Wagoons group, she was an instructor there, so it was quite funny watching her as an instructor. She is also giving training and certifications for first aid under the overlanding activities, so we will be contacting our local clubs about it. Capo Valley, San Diego Land Rover Club, SoCal Toyota Land Cruisers and SoCal 80’s be prepared if you are interested, more news to come soon.

In our way back on Sunday, close to mid night, we were stopped by the boarder patrol check point at the I-8 close to Mexicali, but nothing was wrong with us. They just simple asked us about the Adventure Trailer that we were towing, and if we could stop few minutes for them, so they can take a closer look of the trailer. We stopped and we had a fun conversation with them; maybe they will be future clients for the shop. That was very unique. Alexis is just natural doing his talking about his stuff.

How was the weather? Hmmm I know you want to know that. Well, spring in Arizona is like summer every where else. We had three digits readings, lots of wind and dust. What else I can say?

It was profitable for you guys? To be honest, if you focus on money in your pocket, in my opinion, is not. We didn’t cover the booth or the gas to get there. But, if we can measure with a dollar value the connections and the information that we got, and assign dollars figures to that, then yes, it was a great oportunity. It is a future investment in your own business.

You will do it again next year? Sure, not driving my own car and with expenses covered, why not?

I could continue with plenty of details and funny histores about our trip, so please let me know anything else you might want to know about the expo and I’ll do my best to answer it.

y en Español!!!

Overland Expo, Amado, AZ. 1ro al 3ro de Abril, 2011.
Por: Roberto L. Miranda

Yo siempre estoy en búsqueda de nuevas actividades, pero relacionadas con la actividad 4x4 o actividades al aire libre. La exposición de Overland me es atractiva, pero la realizan en pueblo llamado Amado, en el estado de Arizona.

Ese pueblito queda a unas ocho horas de manejo desde mi casa en el condado de Orange, en California. Saquen ustedes las cuentas del gasto en gasolina que implica llegarse hasta allá, el galón esta que pisa los cinco dólares en California, y digamos que un 25% mas económico en Arizona.

Al tener el show de Pomona, el show de Sema en Las Vegas, la expo de deportes en dunas, el auto show de Los Angeles, todos ellos a pocas horas de casa, pues no tiene explicación, financieramente hablando, visitar otra exposición similar.

Alexis participó en ella el año pasado, cuando soñaba con abrir una tienda del ramo así como emprender una expedición por Las Américas. La tienda ya es una realidad pero seguimos soñando con manejar por largos periodos de tiempo sin preocuparnos de las responsabilidades cotidianas. El hecho de comenzar un negocio propio desde cero es tan demandante en tiempo y dinero, que no resulta ni entretenido.

El cuento corto, me invitaron como “cachifo del stand” para la exposición de este año, ayudando a Alexis y Rusty en una que otra cosa, tal como compartir la jornada de manejo (nocturna) mientras otro descansa. También dándole un ojo a la taguara para permitirles moverse y concretar negocios con el resto de los proveedores. Ayudarlos a exhibir y guardar la mercancía.

Aja, ¿y qué gano yo con todo esto? Pues nada, solo tomar fotos para compartir con los panas (tome muchas fotos de motos para Raúl, Silviu, Enrique, Rodrigo y cualquier otro que se me olvide en este momento) así como conversar con gente de gustos similares. Tampoco me corresponde compartir gastos de gasolina. En una situación de esas donde todos salimos ganando, como yo lo veo.

Los organizadores del evento están muy claros de esta situación, así que lo que los diferencia a ellos del resto radica en la gran cantidad de cursos disponibles para el grupo de aventureros, desde como utilizar los GPS, leer mapas de cartografía y otro sin fin de cosas interesantes por hacer en un solo lugar. Al ofrecer esto, motivan a la gente a asistir al evento, así como a los proveedores, dando como resultado uno de los mejores eventos del ramo.

A los proveedores no les gusta mucho la idea de tantos cursos, pero vamos a estar claros, por los cursos es que la gente llega a este remoto lugar.

Para expositores con bajo presupuesto, las comodidades del lugar son bastante buenas. Prácticamente levantes campamento en tu stand, te ofrecen servicio de guardería, que la pareja al frente de nosotros uso gustosamente. Teníamos acceso a duchas con agua caliente y baños limpios, distintos a los del público en general, que también eran muy buenos.

En el tema de alimentación, podrías preparar tus comidas en tu campamento con tus equipos, o simplemente comprar comida hecha en los dos restaurants del lugar y tienditas disponibles. Nosotros hicimos ambas, pero nos inclinamos mas por comprar por el facilismo de hacerlo, de esa manera evitamos perder tiempo en cocinar y lavar peroles, ya que estábamos “trabajando” y no de paseo. Adicional a eso, pues nuestros vecinos cocinaban a cada rato y siempre había comida de sobra, de hecho, ellos la ofrecían al público en general que gustosamente detenían su marcha y degustaron un aperitivo mientras se conversaba del producto en exhibición.

Land Rover fue la única marca con presencia en la pista de pruebas, donde podías manejar las Range Rover del año con un instructor a tu lado. También podías manejar tu propio carro por la pista, o esa fue la impresión que a mí me dio al ver el resto de los carros en las pista, algo así como para comparar lo que tienes con la Range, pero es una suposición, ya que no pregunte como era el asunto.

Kristina estaba de instructora de manejo, lo cual me resultó muy gratificante. Ella también esta dando unos cursos de primeros auxilios enfocados en nuestra actividad, por lo tanto, hicimos los contactos iniciales para ofrecerlos a todas las organizaciones 4x4 en las que participamos activamente.

Manejando de regreso a casa, cerca de la media noche, la patrulla de fronteras nos detuvo en una alcabala de control, pero no porque hicimos algo malo o tenemos cara de ilegales, sencillamente nos preguntaron si podíamos conversar con ellos sobre el remolque que traemos (Adventure Trailer) y con una sonrisa de oreja a oreja nos detuvimos a dar una charla del tráiler a la policía de fronteras a media noche, en el medio del desierto. Estábamos transitando por la I-8, cerca de Mexicali, para que tengan una idea, pueden hacer un google map de esas referencias. Me acuerdo y todavía me da risa.

El clima es una información que todos quieren saber y te preguntan. Pues solo les digo que la primavera de Arizona es como el verano del resto de los estados. El termómetro llegó a las tres cifras, mucha brisa y mucho polvo.

¿Qué más les puedo decir?

¿Hicieron plata? Para serles sinceros, si hacemos “caja”, pues hay mas salida que entradas de dinero, así que según mi opinión, pues no. Ahora bien, si podemos asignar un valor en dinero a los contactos, la información y los futuros clientes que van a llegar por nuestra presencia en la expo, pues yo les diría que si fue un buen negocio. Hay que verlo como una inversión a futuro en tu propio negocio. Si lo quieres ver como dinero constante y sonante, yo te diría que no lo hagas.

¿Vendrías nuevamente el año entrante? Claro que si, sin tener que manejar mi carro, sin pagar gasolina y con los gastos pagos, pues hasta Australia me voy con esas condiciones, ups, ya hice eso!

Puedo seguir por horas con infinidad de anécdotas y detalles, solo déjenme saber si les interesa saber algo más y con mucho gusto respondo sus inquietudes.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Land Rover was the only “brand” doing test drive for people, with brand new Range Rovers. People could drive their own car on the track as well, or that was my impression, I didn't ask to be honest. Kristina, and old friend of the NorCal Wagoons group, she was an instructor there, so it was quite funny watching her as an instructor.

Kristina did an excellent job for a friend of ours. You could indeed take your own vehicle around, in fact, the instructors were looking for more challenging vehicles to take. They took our 1968 Dormobile around, then they talked a couple with a 2WD VW Vanagon into going around! I saw Jeeps, Unimogs, Fusos, and Toyotas on the track as well.

How was the weather? Hmmm I know you want to know that. Well, spring in Arizona is like summer every where else. We had three digits readings, lots of wind and dust. What else I can say?

The weather forecast for this coming weekend calls for highs in the low 70s, which is more normal for this time of year. It was really bad luck to get such hot and windy weather on those days.

gabepari

Explorer
What is this, the Safari Pacific "Uni-Box"?? :bike_rider:

4-1-11_11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz