Official Overland Expo 2011 thread: Videos, Pictures and Updates

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
(Edited because I posted before I read the above ^^. Wot he said)

Seems to me that the main point of the Expo is to display products, services, and share ideas.

If you're looking to the exposition to be the expedition, you're doing it wrong.

gabepari

Explorer
This year we...markedly improved the speed at which the closing banquet was served...

I have to ask... At what cost? Fast food is not always good food.

I have quite a bit to say, and will offer my thoughts in my vendor feedback form. As usual, I will try to limit my online participation to a few snippy comments. :costumed-smiley-007

Patman

Explorer
Perhaps we need an exploration guide in the next packet? We could tell you where to see desert fish that can survive 110-degree water, or where to drink out of the same spring Cochise and Geronimo drank from, or where some of the most significant mammoth-kill sites in North America were unearthed . .

This is an excellent idea. Maybe a class on planning your adventures around a final destination, or a semicustom (depending on route into and out of the area) map of "things to see/do en route". Could go as far as having google earth show you points of interest within XX number of miles of your planned route.

Might make it easier for some adventurers to see it as less of a vendor drool/parking lot camping experience.
Personally I don't feel it is neccessary, however some may feel it adds to the overall value.

I think the venue in Amado is great for the size and structure of an outdoor event. How fortunate we are to have a place to have Land Rover build an amazing driving/obstacle course where you can safely drive your rig or drive one of the magnificent Land Rovers that were generously available for participants use. You just can't do this everywhere! And to have a beautiful overland route through the desert and to come back and eat great food put together by Chef Charles and have ice cold beers for free at Happy Hour--pretty awesome!

Remember, this event is about sharing ideas, learning and socializing. This event is about preparing you for future explorations on your own and to meet and connect with other like-mineded travelers.

I for one will be back at Amado with bells on :sombrero:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks for the input and comments, everyone.

Barring some unforeseen calamity, Overland Expo 2012 will definitely be in Amado. Here's why:

The event requires a venue that can handle around 2,000 people on a revolving daily basis, that has on-site accommodations for fly-in instructors and speakers with no camping gear, at least a couple of restaurants and space for 400 people at once to enjoy a final outdoor dinner, a couple of acres of flat space for vendors, a couple more acres for on-site campers, is close to public land for exploring and very close to trails for off-site riding and driving classes - but not too far off a major highway, is reasonably close to an international airport, has an indoor theater, is not subject to draconian labor laws (one potential venue in California would have cost as much for mandated custodial staff as the entire Amado location), has a high chance of good weather in April, a receptive community - and, finally, will allow us to rip up two or three acres with bulldozers to build an on-site driving course.

Any candidates?

Of at least as much importance is the fact that, by staying at the same location, we don't have to spend the huge amount of time required for initial infrastructure development and laying out everything. Instead, we can concentrate on refining details. This year we expanded the space to include the Rex Ranch and markedly improved the speed at which the closing banquet was served, next year we're concentrating on dust reduction in the vendor and camping areas, and implementing some awesome ideas for the training area suggested by the Camel Trophy fellows. This year we experienced record high temperatures; next year we're as likely to experience record lows - or the normal 72 degrees for that time of year. It is, after all, an outdoor event!

We also have to haul to the site a massive amount of material. It takes two or three trips at present, using trailers and volunteers with trucks. Adding 500 or 2,000 miles to that would dramatically increase costs for attendees.

The Expo also is not intended to revolve around the camping experience (even though many people say it's among their favorite parts); it's about the learning and interactive experience. That's what we concentrate on most to continue improving, while also tuning the overall atmosphere.

And I have to say that if you've run out of places to explore in southern Arizona after two years, you're simply not trying hard enough. I've lived here all my life and haven't seen it all yet. Perhaps we need an exploration guide in the next packet? We could tell you where to see desert fish that can survive 110-degree water, or where to drink out of the same spring Cochise and Geronimo drank from, or where some of the most significant mammoth-kill sites in North America were unearthed . . .

Overall, the vast majority of attendees have told us they're delighted with the Amado location, so for the present we'll continue to make that our home, and to make it the best home possible.

Ouch Jonathan, that really hurt my eye... :cool:

Any candidates? Probably, but it's ConserVentures event to put on that you derive profit from. We provided respectful input.

That said... so shall it be said, so shall it be done. :bowdown:

I for one, and others that accompanied me or take my advice to attend, would relish a few more details about the area, because frankly, after travelling 5000 miles for this event, we don't know southern AZ as well as those who live in the area. All we see from the media on the right-side of the continent is that it's a hot-bed for narco-terrorism, and anything south of Amado may as well be Mogadishu for the un-knowing. After a couple of BP-ICE checkpoints you might begin to wonder.

A local exploration guide is a damn-fine idea! I would relish the opportunity to drink out of the same spring Cochise and Geronimo drank from. To get a "locals peek" at some of the really novel things the area has to offer besides a restaurant with a cow skull entrance would be great. Perhaps it's laziness on my part (someone will surely point that out) to not comprehensively research the area prior to departing, but I worked up until the day I left to include packing, servicing the truck, and still conducting business while on the road. So yes, anything ConserVentures can do to make this a more appealing venue besides laying down sod would thrill me and probably a few other attendees too. This was my vacation so I'd like to maximize the delight I get from it with my diminishing resources. If it's the same material again and again I think others may choose to make plans otherwise.

As far as the camping experience I think some of your vendors might disagree with your assessment and that should be in your strategy first and fore-most. I "sold" others on gear from my campsite because they wandered around socializing and got some ideas from looking at my kit. Through that "interaction" I know they were influenced by the practical application of some piece of gear offered by many of your vendors and often purchased it that weekend. I even bought an Oz Tent because I saw one finally in action and got to take it for a "test-drive" even though I've known about them for years and even seen threads about them on the portal.

Learning experience. I recommend looking at a "tier-2" or higher-level course offerings. There are only so many times entry-level training can be offered as an etnry-level "overlanding" population begins to decline and your base finds no further utility for such a program. There are other resommendations I could make regarding training and enhancing the delivary of those programs, but then that's too much like work and you're not paying me for that -- I paid ConserVentures to attend, the petroleum industry, US taxes, AZ taxes, county taxes, local Amado business and community groups, etc., right?

I won't even go down "the economy" lane but that's certainly in your business planning or potential vendors for next year. :yikes:

That reminds me - I need to get back to work to earn more disposable income for next years event. Perhaps. ;)

(extensive use of smilie icons intended so as to not hurt feelings)

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Those are all excellent points, thanks. Consider the discovery guide done. That's something we can include easily.

I also like the two-tier idea. We constantly assess our class offerings to keep the event fresh for return visitors, and raising the bar makes sense. I think you'll like some of the stuff the CT guys are proposing. They had a blast and are planning to be back in even greater force.

While camping isn't the point of the weekend, the camping area is very important for just the reasons you described. We've had people say they spent an hour wandering there before realizing it wasn't the main event. We plan to up the level of management there next year - as you know, 100 percent of the income from camping fees goes directly to the Amado community youth group, but we still want to improve the experience. Dust mitigation will be tops on the list.

Much of the efforts we take each year stem from participant suggestions, so please know how much we appreciate them.

shogun

Adventurer
I was wondering how long it would take for the whining to start.

As Mr. Hanson said, where are you going to find nominal 75 degree wx in Apr with almost zero chance of rain (WA?). Airport within 30 minutes, shopping within 5 miles, no residential issues, site colocated with camping in remote setting (think no housing ghettos and no street crime), interstate access for those needing rapid transit to/from, onsite bar/rest/cafe not gouging you $10 for a hot dog. Does the site need some work? Yes, but at least they are working the issue.

I talked my brother into coming to the expo this year and overall he found it interesting but thought Amado was rather boring.
Moab would be cool, plenty of trails for hiking/biking and overland expo would be something different then normal jeep or rock crawling events there.
Also a note to vendors, maybe its just me but I felt like no one was offering any great deals on gear.

Bored? You can interstate right to the site or you could not touch pavement for 1hr to two days prior. Where are you going to find off-road access for over 100 miles practically to the front door (last mile is paved through Amado)? There were several groups and individuals that planned their trips to drive through mountains/lake/desert areas for days before arriving.

As for the vendor/show thing, I dont think the principles understand the symbiotic relationship between expo shows and vendors. Every year I go with a shopping list and come home with next to nothing. I commented on this the first year and was summarily put in my place. Notable this year was vendors Not attending. Some friends attended this year for the first time, ready to drop a K or two on gear. Went home empty-handed. Made similar comments about the amateur nature of the business.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a similar remote site that has remote access along with highway/airport proximity. I think the professional/business aspect could be improved.

As Mr. Hanson said, where are you going to find nominal 75 degree wx in Apr with almost zero chance of rain (WA?). Airport within 30 minutes, shopping within 5 miles, no residential issues, site colocated with camping in remote setting (think no housing ghettos and no street crime), interstate access for those needing rapid transit to/from, onsite bar/rest/cafe not gouging you $10 for a hot dog. Does the site need some work? Yes, but at least they are working the issue.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a similar remote site that has remote access along with highway/airport proximity.

http://www.mulberrymountainlodge.com/

It's right up the street from this: http://www.byrdsadventurecenter.com/

********** dab in the middle of the nation, 30 mins from the interstate, bound on three sides by 1,000,000 acres of the Ozark National Forest, and within two hours of three airports.

Come try Arkansas: we're more than a flyover state.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
As for the vendor/show thing, I dont think the principles understand the symbiotic relationship between expo shows and vendors. Every year I go with a shopping list and come home with next to nothing. I commented on this the first year and was summarily put in my place. Notable this year was vendors Not attending. Some friends attended this year for the first time, ready to drop a K or two on gear. Went home empty-handed. Made similar comments about the amateur nature of the business.

That's an interesting perspective, and one I have not heard before. We had more vendors this year than last, and several of them told me they sold more by Saturday morning this year than they did all weekend last year. I certainly saw a lot of products offered, and a lot of smiling people loading large bunches of it into their vehicles, so I wonder why you and your friends went home empty-handed. Didn't find what you wanted? Or was there some other aspect at work?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
http://www.mulberrymountainlodge.com/

It's right up the street from this: http://www.byrdsadventurecenter.com/

********** dab in the middle of the nation, 30 mins from the interstate, bound on three sides by 1,000,000 acres of the Ozark National Forest, and within two hours of three airports.

Come try Arkansas: we're more than a flyover state.

I got off I-40 and the normal boring easterly route though Little Rock on a whim and took I-540 north headed into MO and some rural routes I know. And White Castle's, too

Holy cow, I was surprised at how scenic that road is and the bucolic views of the Boston Mountains. Equally shocked to see how urban and wealthy Fayetteville and Bentonville are; couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Range Rover. Even passed a built FJ62 (which isn't saying much).

It was either Conway or White Castles. Guess I'll be seeing you later Wes. ;)

I got off I-40 and the normal boring easterly route though Little Rock on a whim and took I-540 north headed into MO ...
Holy cow, I was surprised at how scenic that road is and the bucolic views of the Boston Mountains. Equally shocked to see how urban and wealthy Fayetteville and Bentonville are; couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Range Rover. Even passed a built FJ62 (which isn't saying much).

It was either Conway or White Castles. Guess I'll be seeing you later Wes. ;)

I-540 is a great drive, but as you likely know, it gets much better the further you get into the mountains on the two-laners and USFS trails.

And I guess I can live with knowing that a great burger was chosen over little old me. I'd have done the same thing if it came down to you or a White Castle! :drool:

Hope to see you here for a CO fall event, bud! I'll show you around some of my fave places.

Glad you made it home safely from the long haul.

NorCalLC

Adventurer
That place in Arkansas is awesome looking. Way too much fun to be had for a three day event. Nope, won't fit the bill I'm sorry to say :sombrero:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
.....Bored? You can interstate right to the site or you could not touch pavement for 1hr to two days prior. Where are you going to find off-road access for over 100 miles practically to the front door (last mile is paved through Amado)? There were several groups and individuals that planned their trips to drive through mountains/lake/desert areas for days before arriving..

A great example was the trip that Jake lead from NMBackroads. He lead in a diverse group of about 7 vehicles driven by folks from Tenn, NY, Chicago and NM. I met up with them on their second leg from Parker Canyon Lake, South from there to a stretch along the Meixcan boarder and then back up through Patagonia and up Bull Springs road through the Santa Rita mountains that dumped them right at Armado's back door. Fun way to cruise in. :elkgrin:

1236627712_AgMqv-XL.jpg

1236634549_nnEzk-XL.jpg

1236729096_jpnHH-XL.jpg

1236635511_jSYj2-XL-1.jpg

1236642802_Trgp6-XL.jpg

1236646719_RWn4x-XL.jpg

1236650932_4oyPf-XL.jpg

1236653552_hpFLM-XL.jpg

1236655532_ug6oR-XL.jpg

Last edited:
That place in Arkansas is awesome looking. Way too much fun to be had for a three day event. Nope, won't fit the bill I'm sorry to say :sombrero:

The thing about Arkansas is this: you'll come for a weekend, then stay for a week. Once folks open the door to all we have to offer, it'll forever rest in your soul. We may not have the majesty and grandeur of the desert/mountain west, but what we have is a subtle, calming beauty, a rich history as a gateway to the frontier, and complete, utter solitude. Our public-to-private land ratios are the best between the Gulf Coast and Great Lakes, and our population density is among the lowest 1/3 in the nation.

Did I mention that we're centrally located? I know those east-coasters would love that. And then there's the whole "events center" thing. A co-joined venue of Mulberry Mtn and Byrd's? Stellar. Would allow tons of room to draw other large, established markets into overlanding as we know it today: hunting/fishing audiences, horsepacking, cycling and backpacking, hardcore 4x4, ATVs... the possibilities are endless. A grand education and promotion opportunity with regards to TreadLightly across all facets of outdoor pursuit, as well as overcoming the negative stigmas associated with "off-roading." And as far as current overland-specific vendors and manufacturers go, we've only just scratched the surface of the market potential. (For example, the hunting crowd. These are folks who already love the outdoors, gush on and on about their trucks, and have a nice discretionary income. Yet, they only get out and play about half of the year. Overlanding can be their excuse to get out the rest of the time, while including the whole family. Problem is, they haven't heard of overlanding. We can fix that. Coincidentally enough, this part of the country is the epicenter of the hunting market.)

Just thinking out loud here...

1speed

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz