Official Overland Expo 2011 thread: Videos, Pictures and Updates

406to417

Explorer
I hope so. My girlfriend is from that area and telling her we could also visit her family while attending this event as earned me permission to go.

loren85022

Explorer
Which brings up a good point: Will OVX always be in Amado???

I for one, hope not. Even if the weather had been perfect, I'd prefer to s'plore somewheres new in '12. Shirley there's an opportunity here for regional-experts to suggest some spots and XO can make a short-list for their recon pros to prioritize.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
OX10 had the good fortune of mild weather and ample rainfall for a blooming, colorful desert. Aside from OX11's misfortune of the winds, dust, and unusual heat spell, I'm ready for a change after 2 events. Didn't even need a GPS to get there this time and I live in VA...

Amado is a very gracious host and supportive community but wouldn't it be appropriate for ConserVentures and the Overlanding community at large to spread their fortune around the state or even in another part of the country?

I'm reminded of a phrase I heard repeated so often in early April at the Expo event... "Get out and explore!"

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
wouldn't it be appropriate for ConserVentures and the Overlanding community at large to spread their fortune around the state or even in another part of the country?

I'm reminded of a phrase I heard repeated so often in early April at the Expo event... "Get out and explore!"

We agree..........

roamingaz

Explorer
I have been to all three expos too and agree with th idea to move it somewhere else. Amado is ok but not a whole lot in the area to do or see, honestly driving 3 hours on the freeway to camp within eyesite of the freeway in a dirt lot isn't much fun. I plan a weeks vacation every year around overland expo but sorry to say if it is in Amado again I will spend my vacation someplace else.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Another vote here for a different location. Everything else is perfect, but I find it a bit difficult to be so close to the freeway, for us who likes to outfit our vehicle and go explore.

Even my Bigfoot combo would like to venture a bit more off road...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What is the location most participants are coming from? It would be interesting to see a beakdown by state/country.

roamingaz

Explorer
I talked my brother into coming to the expo this year and overall he found it interesting but thought Amado was rather boring.
Moab would be cool, plenty of trails for hiking/biking and overland expo would be something different then normal jeep or rock crawling events there.
Also a note to vendors, maybe its just me but I felt like no one was offering any great deals on gear.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the input and comments, everyone.

Barring some unforeseen calamity, Overland Expo 2012 will definitely be in Amado. Here's why:

The event requires a venue that can handle around 2,000 people on a revolving daily basis, that has on-site accommodations for fly-in instructors and speakers with no camping gear, at least a couple of restaurants and space for 400 people at once to enjoy a final outdoor dinner, a couple of acres of flat space for vendors, a couple more acres for on-site campers, is close to public land for exploring and very close to trails for off-site riding and driving classes - but not too far off a major highway, is reasonably close to an international airport, has an indoor theater, is not subject to draconian labor laws (one potential venue in California would have cost as much for mandated custodial staff as the entire Amado location), has a high chance of good weather in April, a receptive community - and, finally, will allow us to rip up two or three acres with bulldozers to build an on-site driving course.

Any candidates?

Of at least as much importance is the fact that, by staying at the same location, we don't have to spend the huge amount of time required for initial infrastructure development and laying out everything. Instead, we can concentrate on refining details. This year we expanded the space to include the Rex Ranch and markedly improved the speed at which the closing banquet was served, next year we're concentrating on dust reduction in the vendor and camping areas, and implementing some awesome ideas for the training area suggested by the Camel Trophy fellows. This year we experienced record high temperatures; next year we're as likely to experience record lows - or the normal 72 degrees for that time of year. It is, after all, an outdoor event!

We also have to haul to the site a massive amount of material. It takes two or three trips at present, using trailers and volunteers with trucks. Adding 500 or 2,000 miles to that would dramatically increase costs for attendees.

The Expo also is not intended to revolve around the camping experience (even though many people say it's among their favorite parts); it's about the learning and interactive experience. That's what we concentrate on most to continue improving, while also tuning the overall atmosphere.

And I have to say that if you've run out of places to explore in southern Arizona after two years, you're simply not trying hard enough. I've lived here all my life and haven't seen it all yet. Perhaps we need an exploration guide in the next packet? We could tell you where to see desert fish that can survive 110-degree water, or where to drink out of the same spring Cochise and Geronimo drank from, or where some of the most significant mammoth-kill sites in North America were unearthed . . .

Overall, the vast majority of attendees have told us they're delighted with the Amado location, so for the present we'll continue to make that our home, and to make it the best home possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz