Offroad Teardrop+ concept

gabepari

Explorer
Good luck with your endeavors.

If you can pull it off, you will be the only person I know that builds trailers for "profit" :elkgrin:

Gabe

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Good luck with your endeavors.

If you can pull it off, you will be the only person I know that builds trailers for "profit" :elkgrin:

Gabe

It's all in how you fabricate, assemble and setup the process. Having a resource like my partner, will make this happen quickly.

Heck, we could even sell it as a kit for assembly by the owner. :victory:

C.

gabepari

Explorer
My reply about profit was in jest (internet forums have a way of stripping the humorous tone from most of my messages :sombrero:). Not a jab at you in any way, just an attempt at a witty response that I thought those of us in the trailer industry would appreciate.

You see, I build trailers for a living too. In my industry, over the last 9 years, I've seen about 15-20 people try to build a better mousetrap for cheaper and in the end they all realize that manufacturing a product is not as "cheap and easy" as they originally thought. It's just one of those markets where you need to love what you're doing.

Gabe "I can make anything but money" Pari

JJBiggs

My reply about profit was in jest (internet forums have a way of stripping the humorous tone from most of my messages :sombrero:). Not a jab at you in any way, just an attempt at a witty response that I thought those of us in the trailer industry would appreciate.

You see, I build trailers for a living too. In my industry, over the last 9 years, I've seen about 15-20 people try to build a better mousetrap for cheaper and in the end they all realize that manufacturing a product is not as "cheap and easy" as they originally thought. It's just one of those markets where you need to love what you're doing.

Gabe "I can make anything but money" Pari

No worries. I design for a living. Lots of different things. From architectural interiors to automotive products. My partner in crime is the one who *really* wants to build these. If he can pull it off, all the power I say. I just want a trailer. :victory:

Last edited:

Uncle Roger

Observer
Like that side flip much better, offers protection into the cabin...didn't see anything about an annex, but think it would make a nice option...and increase living space

Definitely think about some sort of connection/hanging mechanism around the flip-part (even if magnets or velcro) so one could run a tarp around to enclose the area under the tent.

Uncle Roger

Observer
No worries. I design for a living. Lots of different things. From architectural interiors to automotive products. My partner in crime is the one who *really* wants to build these. If he can pull it off, all the power I say. I just want a trailer. :victory:

Depending on price, of course, I would be very interested in one. My wife wants something with a toilet though. (I'm hoping a porta-potty would keep her happy.)

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Depending on price, of course, I would be very interested in one. My wife wants something with a toilet though. (I'm hoping a porta-potty would keep her happy.)

Would she go with a porta-potty and mini-tent enclosure?
We saw one setup at Costco and my wife was somewhat intrigued, not enough to buy one right there mind you, but I think it would be an option in the future. :)

Hey JJ, have you thought about a slide-out or swing-out function to your kitchen in the rear? Obviously it would add a bit more complexity to your build, but might make the food prep. area more spacious.
Just a thought. ;)

JJBiggs

Hey JJ, have you thought about a slide-out or swing-out function to your kitchen in the rear? Obviously it would add a bit more complexity to your build, but might make the food prep. area more spacious.
Just a thought. ;)

I took this into account during the design phase. In the end, the intent was to keep the design simple, yet provide a proper amount of storage and usable space. To accommodate additional counter space, I have included a separate table that attaches with hooks to galley area. In order to keep the trailer at a lower price point, simplicity is the key.

More to come.

JJB

JJBiggs

Ok boys and girls...the final design in on the books.

Based on the unreal positive feedback we have received (my partner is presently on tour in the Northwest and has been polling campers), we are looking to have two fully prepared prototypes completed by Nov 2010. In addition to the 4 person, we will be preparing a 2 person unit as well (no flip top sleeping area).

Much more to come. This is getting fun. :wings:

Here's a teaser. :coffeedrink:

TearDropConceptVI-Final2-F.jpg

Uncle Roger

Observer
Wow, that's really awesome! Any idea on the pricing?

Then the question becomes 2-person or 4?

And if you're going to be anywhere near San Francisco with one of the prototypes, do let me know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3