OldSven's 4Runner

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
You're not going to achieve the full potential until you have the IK-22's the 2.2" Pulley, and a solid tune.

The tuning is where it's at. The map that comes preloaded in the computer is a good, but conservative "cookie-cutter" map. Every single vehicle is going to be a little different. Once you get your tune down, you'll be good to go. If you haven't installed the plugs and pulley yet, you should wait to do your tuning runs. Even if you tuned it now, you'd have to tune it all over again after those additions.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I don't know if you're familiar with the tuning process, or not.

This was the biggest resource for me to understand tuning. I'm not sure what software is used for the new URD 7th kit that you got. If it's still the R4 software, then this guide will still help.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf

Tuning is a little difficult to grasp until you just get out there and do it.

OldSven

Explorer
You're not going to achieve the full potential until you have the IK-22's the 2.2" Pulley, and a solid tune.

The tuning is where it's at. The map that comes preloaded in the computer is a good, but conservative "cookie-cutter" map. Every single vehicle is going to be a little different. Once you get your tune down, you'll be good to go. If you haven't installed the plugs and pulley yet, you should wait to do your tuning runs. Even if you tuned it now, you'd have to tune it all over again after those additions.

So the software that comes with the kit, you slap that in the laptop and tune it in? Do I need my gauges to do this or does the computer do it?

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
So the software that comes with the kit, you slap that in the laptop and tune it in? Do I need my gauges to do this or does the computer do it?

To tune you need:
  • a laptop (with software)
  • Wideband o2 sensor with display
  • A scan tool (I use the Auto X-Ray EZ-Scan4000 ) - URD sells a scanner that you connect to your OBD2, and connect it to your laptop, so you have 1 less screen to look at.
  • preferably a designated driver that has balls!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Getting started:
  1. Basiclally you install the software on your laptop. Connect the laptop to the FTC.
  2. Download the fuel map onto your laptop, and save it. That way if you screw up, you can start over with your baseline map.
  3. Create a new map that's a duplicate of the baseline (this will be the one you adjust).
  4. Hook up your scan tool, make sure your wideband o2 is functioning properly.
  5. 1 person can tune alone, but this is not advised.
  6. Preferably get someone to drive while you watch the displays.

Tuning your truck:
  1. Start the truck.
  2. Turn on all your toys.
  3. Start driving.
  4. Find a cop-free stretch of road that you're familiar with.
  5. FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!! Drive as fast as you can for as long as you can!
  6. Watch your fuel map, and listen/feel for any hesitations, or pings or rough spots.
  7. When you feel a ping, or whatever be sure to note which field(s) the truck was in when the ping occurred.
  8. Pull over.
  9. Adjust the effected fields.
  10. Turn engine off - turn key to "ON"
  11. Download the changes to the computer.
  12. Restart truck.
  13. Repeat.

Once you get all pings and rough spots ironed out then you can start tuning for performance. When at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) I like to have my AFR's at 11.8. You have to walk a fine line. 11.8 is where I think my truck performs the best at WOT. Gadget recommends staying around 12.0. If you go too rich you lose performance. If you go too lean, you damage your engine. Have fun!

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
Sounds great:Wow1: Should be fun, my cousing had his 96' Tacoma s/c'ed so he is going to help out with tuning, otherwise there is a guy here locally that is really good with that stuff. Hey what's the scoop with running a cooler t-stat? Need it, or is just a minor upgrade?

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
To tell you the truth . . . I don't really know. LOL.
My URD Kit came with the performance thermostat - so I installed it...

digitalferg

Adventurer
Looks great OldSven. :ylsmoke:

Where did you get your spindle and latch from? I read through most of the posts in this thread and couldn't find the info anywhere...

-Ferg-

Done:wings: And am I glad too. Got it powdercoated today, and got it all mounted up and all of the goodies on it. Only thing missing is a new hi-lift.

IMG_0614.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
The spindle I got from JeepTubes.com I allready had the rest of it on the old swingout from the Tacoma. The first one was from rocklogic but they are no longer.

digitalferg

Adventurer
The spindle I got from JeepTubes.com I allready had the rest of it on the old swingout from the Tacoma. The first one was from rocklogic but they are no longer.

Ah--rocklogic. Yep they're gonzo. :( They were even right here in Utah...

Anyway, So you saying that the latch would've came from rocklogic as well?

I'll check out jeeptubes.com for sure.

Thanks!

-Ferg-

digitalferg

Adventurer
Hmmm. No latch on jeeptubes.com. :( Complete swing-arm kit *minus* the latch. How odd. So I already used 4x4labs' spindle and latch for my main tire carrier swing-out, and am now wanting to make 2nd swingout on the other side that is smaller and will possibly have less force acting on it so i'm thinking of going a lil cheaper on the latch and spindle this time...Anyway...

-Ferg-

bobDog

Expedition Leader
The latch most folks use...red handled lever latch is available at most fastener shops....nut and bolt stores. they come is a dozen configs....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven