OldSven's 4Runner

OldSven

Explorer
I have been looking for a good set of mud flaps for some time now that were very clean looking, cheap, and would hold up on the trails. Well haven't test them on the trails yet but I went down to my local plastics store and had some made from 1/8" black ABS. They are 11x15 with the bottoms cut with a 1 1/8" radius. Up front where the tire normally removes them on their own I took a heat gun and bent them back away from the tire but still enough to help keep some rock rash down the side of the rig. The ABS is pretty flexible if they were to get bent way back but stiff enough that they won't bend under high speeds, the total cost for all four was only $28.

0721101738.jpg

0721101738a.jpg

0721101738b.jpg

keezer37

Explorer
I can't tell from the photo but you might check your angle to see how much protection you'll get. I cut mine way too short (concerned about flapping) and they are for all intents and purposes useless. So yesterday I was off to NAPA to get two more of their truck flaps to cut down.
I checked the angle this morning by putting a straight edge where the rubber meets the road and bringing it up to the base of the flap and then to the bottom of the back bumper. Quite a difference.
Now 15.25" total length. 21" needed to have debris clear the bottom of the bumper. Don't know if I'll make them that long though.
And I should bring them outboard about a half inch.
RearFlap2.jpg

RearFlap1.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
I though about it too but the thing I run into is on the trails up here there are a lot of stumps and big roots to get over and flaps just don't survive :) Mainly they are just to cut down on the amount of stuff flying up. The rear is mainly to be legal and for my trailer on dirt roads. But the first trail run will determin if they are worthy...

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
They did firm it up so it is much more controllable. I like to "baja" this thing from time to time and need the back to keep with the ICON's and I think it should now.

You could always add a set of Icon's new 2.5" Reservoir rear shocks. Then it should keep up with the front's nicely. :ylsmoke:

I have a set on the way, but won't get a chance to install them for a few weeks.

CYi5

Explorer
You could always add a set of Icon's new 2.5" Reservoir rear shocks. Then it should keep up with the front's nicely. :ylsmoke:

I have a set on the way, but won't get a chance to install them for a few weeks.

Oooo, finally they come out with a rear shock! Not cheap, but I was going to switch to a firm shock anyway, so it's only a couple hundred more right?:wings: I wonder what spring they recommend. It's nice that they're the same price as the tacoma rear resi's but have a larger shaft diameter.

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
I like the mud flap idea. :victory: How did you attach them?

I need to do that for the front of mine.

I just self tapped into my rear bumper, and the front two longer panhead screws into the fender flare and one into an existing in hole (can't remember what it was for).

OldSven

Explorer

I thought about doing something like that but this thing is money now. The only thing I might need to do in the future is add the rear trim packer but other than that it handles well at speed and does great on the trail!!!

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Man, I'm out of the loop... Have'nt been on here in a while. Congrats on the sale and nice purchase on the 4runner.

OldSven

Explorer
How much did the plastic cost you for the mudflaps?

About $25 from a local plastics shop. I noticed some rubbing when making a sharp turn and it is because I need to take the heat gun to it again and bend it back some more so the tire doesn't catch it.

OldSven

Explorer
Just got the 5th Anniversary Issue with the 4Runner article:wings: Awsome write up and photos by David at ToyOwner.

SCAN0003.jpg

SCAN0004.jpg

SCAN0005.jpg

SCAN0006.jpg

SCAN0007.jpg

SCAN0008.jpg

SCAN0009.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven