OldSven's 4Runner

OldSven

Explorer
Thanks! It was a fun day. Kind of sad I haven't even had the trailer out of storage since then due to working weekends this summer...

OldSven

Explorer
I have some time on my hands now so I have finally gotten around to some long overdue projects on the rig. After 181k and being S/C'ed the whole time the clutch finally started slipping so I replaced it with a stock Aisin clutch, pressure plate, bearings, and had the flywheel machined. It is so nice yet so weird feeling having a clutch that actually grabs (what a concept) :elkgrin:

The CV boots on one of my axles finally ripped do to age and milage so I picked up two from a local Toyota junk yard that only have 75k on them. I gave the bad one to a friend to fix and keep as a spare and I kept the other one. Now I finally have an onboard replacement if one breaks on me.

I also reprogrammed my auto locks to stay unlocked when I start the truck which was such a pain when you would start it and then try and get out or someone get in and the doors would be locked. So that little nightmare is over, I have the program link if anyone needs it for their stock security system.

Got a headphone wire and hooked it into the AUX input on my stereo, now I can put all my CD's on the IPOD and use that from now on.

Last today I finally wired up a toggle switch on the side of the winch box and one in the dash to opperate the winch without the controller. Kind of a pain when it is raining out and you have your window down trying to run the winch. Both switches have a main power switch that has to be on to opperate either one. The one in the box is waterproof too.

1024101235.jpg

1023101620.jpg

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
Sweet Winch mod. I see you have the SmittyBuilt winch, I would love more info on this mod.

Basically what you will need is:

(1)- "on/off" rocker switch http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062534
(2)- Waterproof "on/off/on" momentary switch http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=406_417&products_id=8812
(2)- Rubber sleeves that cover the toggles http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7582
Lots of connectors...

I got the toggle switches and sleeves at Vetco Electronics which is near my house but you can get them probably anywhere. The rocker switch I got at Radio Shack.

16/4 stranded speaker wire from Home Depot, I just matched the wire size from Smitty. This way you don't have to pull 4 wires separate, they are all together. Lenght is your choice, I got 25' for $0.58 a ft and have a bunch extra.

In the box up front I unplugged the connector for the stock remote and spliced my switch to it so if need be you can still use the regular Smitty controller. The red wire taking "hot" from the box to your pwr switch inside, the black is pwr back from your inside toggle to outside toggle, green & white are your in/out function. Inside jump a wire from your pwr switch to the toggle this way when the pwr is on both toggles are hot and when off nobody can hit the outside switch and get hurt. I believe the toggles wire up with the pwr in the middle and the in/out's on either side. The rocker switch holding it with the LED on top, the pwr goes on the bottom, load in the middle, ground on top.
If anyone needs any help with this mod please PM me and I will answer any questions that I missed :)

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
Well decided to move the spare tire back up under the rig, figures you go through all the trouble of building a swingout then move in the back and then after all that it goes right back up underneath:mad: And it fought me the whole way, I had to torch out the crossmember and moved it up 1.5" then cut the back of the hitch tube flush with the bumper but the 255 does fit with 15lbs of psi in it... I also cleaned up all the swingout junk off the bumper and shortend up the hitch for a cleaner look, next is to build another box to go next to the one that is in the back to hold my spare cv and tow straps. I will finally have some cargo room back.

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner