OldSven's 4Runner

Willman

Not bad!

Keep us posted on the MPG gain.....I have been thinking the same thing for my next set.....

:)

CYi5

Explorer
I could but the fins of the boots don't touch and I haven't ever had issues with CV's. I just replaced them but the stock ones had over 180k and the rubber just went to pot.

I'd focus more on the ride benefits of cranking down the coilovers :).

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I'm glad you did this. I've also been thinking about going down to 265's (Falken High Country AT's) for my next set too. I'm back to DD my 4Runner so the extra MPG's will really help. I think you're 4Runner still looks cool, BTW.

OldSven

Explorer
I'm glad you did this. I've also been thinking about going down to 265's (Falken High Country AT's) for my next set too. I'm back to DD my 4Runner so the extra MPG's will really help. I think you're 4Runner still looks cool, BTW.

My choices came down between the Hankook's and the Falken Wild Peak's. On the computer the Wild Peak's were kind of winning and lots of good reviews on them but in person I kind of thought they were a little to road tire looking but are pretty much comperable to the Hankooks in the end.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The Falken High Country is more of an all terrain tire than the Wildpeak in my opinion. I have them on my 86 pickup and really like them a lot.

I think you'll have a good experience with your Hankook's though. I've heard good things about them too.

I'm curious, what was your MPG's with the 255's and what are you hoping to get with the smaller tires? Do you have an auto or manual transmission?

OldSven

Explorer
The Falken High Country is more of an all terrain tire than the Wildpeak in my opinion. I have them on my 86 pickup and really like them a lot.

I think you'll have a good experience with your Hankook's though. I've heard good things about them too.

I'm curious, what was your MPG's with the 255's and what are you hoping to get with the smaller tires? Do you have an auto or manual transmission?

It's a manuel, and I did a good moderate driving on the last tank before the 255's came off and per GPS I got about 14.6mpg. I'm hoping with the smaller diameter, lighter, and better tread for road to squeak out a few more but only time will tell.

It is much easier on clutch out of the hole it doesn't jitter anymore when letting the clutch out, much quieter on the freeway too.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader

Sadly my 4Runner will not tolerate smaller tires than the 295's. The 4.88's would scream their way through the axles. I was surprised at the lack of mpg's you got. I know when we spoke that it might have something to do with fuel blends as I told you I've seen 13.5 mpg to 18.9 mpg tank in the 4Runner and I drive 65-68 mph on the interstate and as easy as one can around town. The higher numbers came from AL and GA fuel stops. FL mixes well over the 10% by my estimation on mileage loss.

You will be happy with the AT's, as we also covered I feel this is wheres its at. Perhaps when you get your ARB up front you will be set but with the winch you may not need all that (though the 4Runner will walk stuff much easier with the front tied in).

I'm going to look up the price difference and size options for the Hans now :)

A

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
He has a super charger though. I can't remember if you have one too. My 5 speed with stock gears gets anywhere from 17-20 depending on how it's driven. I keep the speed at 70 or less.

Maybe you need to trade 3rds with me :ylsmoke:

Sadly my 4Runner will not tolerate smaller tires than the 295's. The 4.88's would scream their way through the axles. I was surprised at the lack of mpg's you got. I know when we spoke that it might have something to do with fuel blends as I told you I've seen 13.5 mpg to 18.9 mpg tank in the 4Runner and I drive 65-68 mph on the interstate and as easy as one can around town. The higher numbers came from AL and GA fuel stops. FL mixes well over the 10% by my estimation on mileage loss.

A

OldSven

Explorer
I took the runner to the dump the other day and ran it over the scale, without me in it it came in at 4880lbs:cow: That would be part of my mpg issue, even staying out of the boost it sucks hopefully these tires will help a little over the long run.

Applejack

Explorer
Thanks for being a guinea pig for us on those tires and keep us posted on their performance. You being a PNWerner too I'm curious how the Hankook's will do on your snowy adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven