OldSven's 4Runner

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Well decided to move the spare tire back up under the rig, figures you go through all the trouble of building a swingout then move in the back and then after all that it goes right back up underneath:mad: And it fought me the whole way, I had to torch out the crossmember and moved it up 1.5" then cut the back of the hitch tube flush with the bumper but the 255 does fit with 15lbs of psi in it... I also cleaned up all the swingout junk off the bumper and shortend up the hitch for a cleaner look, next is to build another box to go next to the one that is in the back to hold my spare cv and tow straps. I will finally have some cargo room back.

Tight fit eh! At least you got it to fit. If I let mine go straight up it rubs on the track bar a bit. If I hold it back it fit's without the rubbing. Lookin good! :victory:

Well decided to move the spare tire back up under the rig, figures you go through all the trouble of building a swingout then move in the back and then after all that it goes right back up underneath:mad:

I'm thinking about going back to the stock location on my Taco, too. Toyota engineers had it right: it just makes the most sense. (Unless, if course, you can afford a custom fuel cell in that location...)

I also reprogrammed my auto locks to stay unlocked when I start the truck which was such a pain when you would start it and then try and get out or someone get in and the doors would be locked. So that little nightmare is over, I have the program link if anyone needs it for their stock security system.

I'd like to know more about this, had my runner lock on me one time (while running) out camping, luckly I had a spare key.

Thanks

Bighead

Adventurer
And it fought me the whole way, I had to torch out the crossmember and moved it up 1.5" then cut the back of the hitch tube flush with the bumper but the 255 does fit with 15lbs of psi in it...

My 315/75 MT/R fits underneath with ~10psi. My OEM crossmember was removed and replaced with new, higher one along with a FJ62 spare tire hoist.

Tight fit eh! At least you got it to fit. If I let mine go straight up it rubs on the track bar a bit. If I hold it back it fit's without the rubbing. Lookin good! :victory:

As long as I push mine all the way to rear I don't hit my track bar. I usually push it to the rear and hold it, re-inflate to ~10 psi which jams the tire between the frame rails and it stays in place from there.

maclean216

Observer
My 315/75 MT/R fits underneath with ~10psi. My OEM crossmember was removed and replaced with new, higher one along with a FJ62 spare tire hoist.

As long as I push mine all the way to rear I don't hit my track bar. I usually push it to the rear and hold it, re-inflate to ~10 psi which jams the tire between the frame rails and it stays in place from there.

When you get tired of it being under the truck, I have a bad *** Rock Ware swingout carrier I will sell you.

OldSven

Explorer
Now that the tire is back in it's home I built another box with my Dad to fill the gap. It is more like a long cubby hole to store the spare cv axle, tow straps, clippers, etc. Turned out really nice and now I have plenty of room back there. Also made a Hi-lift adapter finally, never liked lifting the sliders before now the Hi-lift isn't going to slide down the door, just need a pin for it.

1108101331.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

1108100831.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
Finally bought a dog barrier for the runner, tired of having to put her crate in the back and strap it down. Shoot she even has a roll bar of her own...:elkgrin:

mms_picture.jpg

Box Rocket

Cool. Did you do some kind of custom mounting or is it just tension mounted? I think I have the same barrier that I use in my Land Cruiser. If you are tension mounted, (or maybe even if you're not) I used some padded piping insulation around all the edges to protect the headliner and interior panels a little bit more.

Box Rocket

one other thought...... could hurt when you hit a good bump and your pup catches a little air and hits his head on that shovel. I'd maybe think of remounting the shovel to the front of the barrier toward the cab, or elsewhere.

OldSven

Explorer
Yeah it is the one that has the long pieces of all-thread and wing nuts that sandwhich's it between the headliner and my drawer. Took it up to the snow today and it did well, alittle rattling on the washboards but not horrible.

I just take the shovel down when she is back there, when I get my roof rack the shovel, axe, and hi-lift may just move up top.

OldSven

Explorer
The rig got some new meats yesterday, with gas going up and our trips getting longer, and not wanting to re-gear for mileage I though it was time to step down a size and also go to an AT style tire. I ended up selling the 255' Maxxis and went with the LT265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm's. I have heard nothing but good things about them, lots of sippes, deep lugs for an AT, and super quiet on the road. They are an E rated tire so very strong and so far I'm very pleased with them. The only thing now is getting use to loosing some cool factor but time will tell once I get this out on the trail and also up in some snow...:smiley_drive:

IMG_2740-1.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven