OldSven's 4Runner

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Eh, I'm going back to the old Maxxis. Allways had good luck with those, I've replaced the BFG's a few times now. A new cover for the fridge would make a good Christmas present :)

Any chance you can run a tape measure when you get these Bighorns over the tyre once aired up and off the vehicle?

I'd just like to compare what the "actual" diamter is to the "stated" diamter on the website.

Why I ask this is because on TTORA forum, a couple of blokes that have bought 255/85x16 KM2's say they are closer to 33.6/33.7 than 33.3 as stated on the BFG website.

Hope Im not asking too much?

thanks.

OldSven

Explorer
Any chance you can run a tape measure when you get these Bighorns over the tyre once aired up and off the vehicle?

I'd just like to compare what the "actual" diamter is to the "stated" diamter on the website.

Why I ask this is because on TTORA forum, a couple of blokes that have bought 255/85x16 KM2's say they are closer to 33.6/33.7 than 33.3 as stated on the BFG website.

Hope Im not asking too much?

thanks.

No problem. It may be a week or so but I will get that measurement for you.

OldSven

Explorer
Got to work on the rear bumper today. Picked up a chunk 4x4 tube, two pieces of 8x2 rectangle tube, and some diamond plate. Trying to mix a few different designs that I have seen on some 3rd gen's, but the back of the runner is such a pain to design around. I'm going to nip the ends of and nip the bottom up to meet up with the side tube then cap it off to really clean it up. I also set the swingout on there to figure out how far back the tube had to be to clear the gate. I'm going to cut the swingout down and move it to the pass side and flip the hi-lift mount to the driver side. More work ahead:mixed-smiley-030:

DSC09870.jpg

DSC09869.jpg

DSC09887.jpg

DSC09888.jpg

DSC09891.jpg

Willman

I like the new bumper!

At the ends of the 4x4 tube.....try to angle or round that area so the bumper will match the lines of the rig.... .02

That 4x4 tube could be used for a future air tank.....

:smiley_drive:

OldSven

Explorer
I like the new bumper!

At the ends of the 4x4 tube.....try to angle or round that area so the bumper will match the lines of the rig.... .02

That 4x4 tube could be used for a future air tank.....

:smiley_drive:

Yeah, I'm going to nip them at something like a 45, and then where the 4x4 is lower than the sides I will angle it up for a nice touch:)

CYi5

Explorer
Lookin good, the build looks much simpler when big chunks are used and still looks like it will turn out sweet. Do you know anywhere that sells prefabed swing out bases? i.e. spindle and latch mounted to a base cross tube, ready to weld in? I'm sure some jeeper must produce them.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion

I can tell you right now that my 255/85/16 Bighorns mounted on 16x7 steel rims with about 6k miles on them measure about 33.1. And my 255/85/16 KM2's measured 33.2 when mounted on my Tacoma brand new. I think the 33.7 is a bit of wishful thinking (or bad measuring).

Photog

Explorer
I can tell you right now that my 255/85/16 Bighorns mounted on 16x7 steel rims with about 6k miles on them measure about 33.1. And my 255/85/16 KM2's measured 33.2 when mounted on my Tacoma brand new. I think the 33.7 is a bit of wishful thinking (or bad measuring).

The best way to get an accurate diameter (D) is to measure the circumferance (C) and divide by 3.14 (pi).

D=C/pi

Great looking bumper. I'm interested to see how you nip the corners, etc.

OldSven

Explorer
Long day of grinding:drool: I will get some better shots of the corners, I pretty much 45'ed them inward and then upward at the bottom so they would meet the corner pieces. The spindle for the swingout comes in tomorrow so I can get started on that.

DSC09896.jpg

DSC09895.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
Snapped a quick shot of it this morning, can't get it in for powdercoat until Monday so I have some more time to smooth out the lines and get all of the mounting holes drilled in the frame.

DSC09899.jpg

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
same as everyone else.....looks great, and you knocked it up pretty quick.....

just wondering how heavy is it? looks like it would weigh abit......

OldSven

Explorer
same as everyone else.....looks great, and you knocked it up pretty quick.....

just wondering how heavy is it? looks like it would weigh abit......

"Abit" is right:Wow1: It weights more than the front without the swingout. But with those FJ80 coils the bumper, swinout, hi-lift, and tire will set it really close to level which is what I wanted. I will try and get a weight of it but I'm scared to see what it is...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven