OldSven's Tacoma

OldSven

Explorer
Got the AIRAID MIT intake tube on. Not a whole lot of difference compared to just plugging the holes on the stock tube, but I did notice a little smoother acceleration.

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02846.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
Ordered up a Perma-Cool electric fan and controller. The install is pretty easy overall. One thing I did figure out was that you don't have to un-do the top radiator hose to remove the shroud. Once the fan is off you can just slide it up and out, nice not having to mess with the coolant. I didn't realize how heavy the stock fan is, that's alot of weight to be spinning all of time. I will finish the write up tomorrow when the fan gets here.

Fan out:
DSC02842.jpg

Resivor out:
DSC02841.jpg

Washer and lock washer to make up for missing fan on pulley:
DSC02843.jpg

Old fan:
DSC02844.jpg

Willman

I've heard that these fans really pull on the motor!.....

Can't wait to see your findings on the new one!

:jumping:

Rexsname

Explorer
I used to have an electric fan(s) on my Tacoma. It overheated consistantly while working at a slow speed off road. The last straw was when it was so hot the insulation from the wireing was melting and dripping off onto the ground. I went back to the stock fan and have had no trouble since then.

My 2 cents.....

REX

fbksurferjoe

Adventurer
I bought the 2x12" flexalite fans a while ago and had similar overheating problems driving at <10 mph. The module that they give you with the fans only engages when the car reaches a certain temperature, I dont know if it just wasnt picking up the temperature right or if it getting wet made it tempermental but this seemed to be the problem. The fans themselves pull a whole hell of a lot more air then the stock fan and are far less draw on the engine. My gas mileage went up about 5mpg. The way I fixed the problem was by wiring up my own relay and switch so that I can enable it when i want it on. I havent had a problem since. When I am slow crawling I just flip the switch and leave it running. I would say the only other downside is at the low rpms it is a pretty significant draw on the battery. I would highly recommend having a manual switch for you to control instead of the module.

Photog

Explorer
I wonder if there is a way to add a relay that is switched on, when you place the transfer case in Low. This would force the fan to run, when you are going slow, and operate normally the rest of the time.

corax

Explorer
Photog said:
I wonder if there is a way to add a relay that is switched on, when you place the transfer case in Low. This would force the fan to run, when you are going slow, and operate normally the rest of the time.

tap off the 4LOW light to actuate the relay. . . should be able to get to it from the back of the instrument cluster

corax

Explorer
CYi5 said:
I didn't know we had a 4low light...just a 4wd..

I was just going off of what my '88 has . . . the easiest solution would probably be to just install a switch like someone else said

OldSven

Explorer
Got the fan today, but oh yeah they forgot to tell me that the controller is back ordered a month. So I had to order one from Summit, and should have it by Thursday. The fan is really nice just kind of a pain mounting it to the shroud. I did throw the stock one in the bed just incase:Mechanic:

DSC02847.jpg

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
corax said:
looks like a clean fit . . . how much air does it move?
I had to kind of "customize the brakets" you know:D I threw a fuse in for a quick run to see how it did, and it moves alot of air and also is pretty quiet.

OldSven

Explorer
What the :smilies27
DSC02850.jpg

All done!!! Got the switch wired up with an on/off/on rocker switch. Has on for the temp controller, off (for water or mud), and on for manuel override just incase the controller geeks out on me.

DSC02851.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
Finally mounted the ax & shovel again. Couldn't stand them rattling around behind the seat anymore. The ammo boxes kind of made it hard to mount them straight across from one another but they are snug. Used some "superstrut" and self tapped the two pieces to the bed. Then bolted the mounts to that.

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02855.jpg

Everything piled in, even the chainsaw (still have the stock fan onboard just incase any bugs come up with the new fan)...
DSC02856.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy