OldSven's Tacoma

Paul R

Adventurer
Truck looks great! :cool:
Have you used the truck enough to make an opinion on the new fan? I.e. gas milages verses temperatures?

OldSven

Explorer
Paul R said:
Truck looks great! :cool:
Have you used the truck enough to make an opinion on the new fan? I.e. gas milages verses temperatures?

Not quite yet. It has more gitty-up out of the whole. Tomorrow is a big trail clean-up up here so that will give me some trail time with it. It just kicks on when the truck hits 190, and isn't ever on going down the road. I will try and log the mpg's tomorrow.

OldSven

Explorer
Been having some brake issues lately. Replaced the front lines with some new stainless ones from Wheeler's Offroad. Then blead them and still were soft, the problem was air in the PBV out back. So glad it wasn't a master cylindar.

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

DSC02858.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
Maybe one day :rolleyes: The brakes are still alittle soft, but much better. I guess you vacume test the booster or MC, I might do that just to rule them out. The truck stops fine, but I like the peddle to be nice and stiff. I did make a new bracket for the rear BPV lever that goes to the axle. That helped make the drums do alittle more work.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
OldSven said:
Maybe one day :rolleyes: The brakes are still alittle soft, but much better. I guess you vacume test the booster or MC, I might do that just to rule them out. The truck stops fine, but I like the peddle to be nice and stiff. I did make a new bracket for the rear BPV lever that goes to the axle. That helped make the drums do alittle more work.
Did or does your truck have ABS? I secured the rear bpv up and that seemed to help stiffen my brakes, it's my understanding that the bpv is set up to compensate for load, so the more that lever is pushed up as the bed is weighed down, the more braking that is proportioned to the rear drums, I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

OldSven

Explorer
taco chaser said:
Did or does your truck have ABS? I secured the rear bpv up and that seemed to help stiffen my brakes, it's my understanding that the bpv is set up to compensate for load, so the more that lever is pushed up as the bed is weighed down, the more braking that is proportioned to the rear drums, I could be wrong though.
I'm not exactly sure if it does or not. I would have thought so but can't find anything that looks like abs. By adding a taller bracket out back did help by making the drums do some more work. I just can't figure out the soft peddle.

adrenaline503

Explorer
OldSven said:
I'm not exactly sure if it does or not. I would have thought so but can't find anything that looks like abs. By adding a taller bracket out back did help by making the drums do some more work. I just can't figure out the soft peddle.

Maybe you don't know your own strength....

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Well if you have ABS you would see sensors just behind your brake backing plates on your rear axle would be the easiest to see. Or under the hood on the passenger side fender, closer to the fire wall there will be an ABS pump that has 6 brake lines routed into it, 4 lines, one for each caliper and cylider, 2 lines go to your MC. Anyways if you have ABS, the system has to be blead with a constant presure of 15 to 17 psi with a presure bleeder or your pedal will always feel soft.:sombrero:

OldSven

Explorer
taco chaser said:
Well if you have ABS you would see sensors just behind your brake backing plates on your rear axle would be the easiest to see. Or under the hood on the passenger side fender, closer to the fire wall there will be an ABS pump that has 6 brake lines routed into it, 4 lines, one for each caliper and cylider, 2 lines go to your MC. Anyways if you have ABS, the system has to be blead with a constant presure of 15 to 17 psi with a presure bleeder or your pedal will always feel soft.:sombrero:
Nope, no ABS. I'm going over to a friends tomorrow to hook up his vacume bleeder to it and bleed the hell out of it. It has to just be air hiding somewhere in there.

OldSven

Explorer
Well vacume blead the system and still have the problem. We did find the a piece of the linkage on the brake pedal assembly is very sloppy, so I will get the parts from Toyota on Thursday. The other problem with the soft peddle is the MC as far as we can tell. Going to order one up end of the week:smilies27

OldSven

Explorer
Well took the plunge:hehe: Just got my new ICON's from Wheeler's today, and got them all installed. Pretty plush ride at first but definetly not high enough, so I cranked them up so that there is 2 1/8" of thread showing. Took it out for a spin and they are nice. Was trying to go over a railroad track near by to see how they held up, was going a little bit to fast and all four came off the ground:oops: , but with the timbrens and the ICON's landed like a champ!!!

DSC03006.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Lookin good!

What did you have installed before? Tundra coils?

I'll be interested in your mid-term, "unbiased by the amount of money you spent on them" report on these after you run them for a while. Most of the reports I've seen are guys going from OEM to 'hoes, which I would expect a huge improvement. But I'm wondering if these stand out when compared against other, similar (stiffer) springs and performance shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy