OldSven's Tacoma

OldSven

Explorer
Well back at it:Mechanic: I decided to shed a little fat off of the truck, and go a different route with the look. The canopy was great but with the trailer in the works for the spring I won't need it anymore for sleeping in. Plus climbing in and out of it to get tools was a pain. So the canopy and the swingout came off and are being stored. This new design moved most of the weight up front, and not hanging over the *** which is a lot less strain on the frame. I lost the aerodynamics of the canopy but the loss of over 350lbs might make up for it on the gas gauge. Any thought's or comments would be great (move it back further, add or delete, etc.) :sombrero:

DSC08592.jpg

DSC08591.jpg

DSC08579.jpg

DSC08585.jpg

DSC08595.jpg

DSC08594.jpg

Willman

:bowdown:

Nice fab job

I have been think in that same direction too.....

Just wished i had more time in the day......school is killing me!

:ar15:

toyrunner95

Explorer
DUDE!?!?

You spent all that time making the swing out and ditched it?!?! What are you thinking? (i know you stored it)

I had the same kind of setup on my 4runner. It was great until I had to actually carry something. The tire was taking up way too much room and storing stuff around it was a PITA. Of course I coulden't take off the shell so that didnt help.
Personally I like the swing out better. It frees up the bed for more important things... like.... um... stuff.. and junk. Anyway I liked the swing out; it got the tire and the jack out of the way. The two most akward things in the truck to work around.

OldSven

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
DUDE!?!?

You spent all that time making the swing out and ditched it?!?! What are you thinking? (i know you stored it)

I had the same kind of setup on my 4runner. It was great until I had to actually carry something. The tire was taking up way too much room and storing stuff around it was a PITA. Of course I coulden't take off the shell so that didnt help.
Personally I like the swing out better. It frees up the bed for more important things... like.... um... stuff.. and junk. Anyway I liked the swing out; it got the tire and the jack out of the way. The two most akward things in the truck to work around.

Yeah I know:rolleyes: The swingout was awsome and served it's purpose. Not saying that it might not make it back on the truck one day but I just was tired of so much weight off the back like that. Plus if I need to haul something the bed bar comes out real quick. The only reason I got the canopy in the first place was to sleep in, but the soon to be trailer will fix that. I thought about re-designing the swing out to be lower but for some reason swingout's without canopies only look good on Dbl cab's, ex-cab's look real long with them.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
I feel ya on making things lighter and more simple these day's, I'm working on a set up myself to improve gas mileage and other things. As for the tire in the bed, I have to agree with toyrunner95, I had my spare in the bed for years but yours is more organized and looks good, mine just laid flat in the way.

OldSven

Explorer
taco chaser said:
I feel ya on making things lighter and more simple these day's, I'm working on a set up myself to improve gas mileage and other things. As for the tire in the bed, I have to agree with toyrunner95, I had my spare in the bed for years but yours is more organized and looks good, mine just laid flat in the way.
Thanks. I figure I will try it for awhile. Only takes a good part of a day to go back but it drives nicer and has a lot more get up to it now.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
OldSven said:
Thanks. I figure I will try it for awhile. Only takes a good part of a day to go back but it drives nicer and has a lot more get up to it now.
I bet after losing all the weight of the shell, they don't seem that heavy going on and off, but they sure affect the ride. :sombrero:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Dare I say it?
But could you put the 285 under if you need the room in the bed?
I have a 285/75/16 under my Tundra. I have seen that you defiantly play a bit harder than I and need the clearance, maybe it would clear o.k. ? Just if need be.
Not sure how close you would be to the tail pipe? Coming from a Tundra's width...

Great truck though. I think I have read about all your mods, then gone back again.

OldSven

Explorer
thecriscokid said:
Dare I say it?
But could you put the 285 under if you need the room in the bed?
I have a 285/75/16 under my Tundra. I have seen that you defiantly play a bit harder than I and need the clearance, maybe it would clear o.k. ? Just if need be.
Not sure how close you would be to the tail pipe? Coming from a Tundra's width...

Great truck though. I think I have read about all your mods, then gone back again.

:sombrero: My cousin said that too but one my exhaust is in the way, and two is the ground clearance issue. With the tires being 33x10.5's it would probably tuck up there good but I like showing off the spare. I will have to say something is still missing in the back, not sure what but it needs something else, a rack or something.

OldSven

Explorer
Mounted up my new Prodigy Brake Controller on the truck the other day, thing works great with the trailer:)

DSC09026.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy