Overland Expo West, 2014

Disco2Guy

Observer
I wasn't sure what to expect for my first OE. My main goal was to hang out at the CT Skills area, and meet as many of the Cameleers as possible. Most of my time was spent with Andy Dacey, Tom Collins and Duncan Barbour. They are top notch fellas with loads of info and stories. Building the log bridge and cross brace with Andy was great. Even better was rigging the zip line to get the 55 gallon drum across the pond on Saturday, and then getting Roseann across on my friend's KTM Sunday afternoon. A few pages back there's a pic of myself and Bill (who owns the KTM) hauling in the line with Roseann.

There are a few things that should be addressed for upcoming OE's.

Better markings for the different areas. There were multiple times throughout the weekend people came up asked where certain classes were being held. The colored flags were not tall enough to be easily visible, especially when a lot of people had B&W maps and were looking for colored flags. White flags with large numbers 20' off the ground would be a better way for people to find their way around.

Overland Experience package didn't mean much. Why did I pay ~$300 for classes that could have been attended by anyone? No one ever checked badges. I figured there would be a list of people registered for each class that would be checked. The shoulder bag was nice, but there was no exclusivity for purchasing the Overland Experience package.

I would like to attend again, and take some classes that I missed which sounded worth while by others in my group. Mainly the bushcraft survival class, and the map and compass class. Other than that I expect to be at the CT Area again which is the main draw for me in the first place, and is open to anyone without registering for the Overland Experience package.

zelatore

Explorer
My biggest issue was that everywhere I went, it was unorganized. I showed up early (Thursday) between the hours suggested (1-7:30PM) and NOBODY was around to direct me and help me find where I was suppose to go.

Ah, I see another person felt my particular pain regarding the '7:30PM' Thursday thing.

Because I was flying in, I booked my ticket about a month early. The event started Friday morning, so we planned to fly to PHX Thursday afternoon and take a leisurely drive up to our hotel in Flagstaff. Then about 2 weeks before the actual event I get the email saying in very strong terms that YOU MUST ARRIVE AND REGISTER BEFORE 7:30 THURSDAY OR YOU WILL LIKELY MISS YOUR FIRST FRIDAY CLASS!. Well crap, would have been nice to know that a little earlier so I could have booked an earlier flight! Anyway, our leisurely is now a tear-***** all out attempt to get to registration before they close. Thankfully no run-ins with the highway patrol were involved, and we made it with 15 minutes to spare. Only when we got there we found people putting stuff away in the registration trailer. When questioned about the 7:30 time (it was 7:15) the answer was 'sorry, I don't know anything about that. come back tomorrow.' My wife was so PO'ed she was ready to hunt down somebody in charge and tear them a new one but I drug her back to the car, got some dinner in her, and finally got her to settle down.
(it doesn't help that she runs a lot of events professionally herself so she has a low tolerance for poor organization or bad behavior by employees)

We both enjoyed the event, and may well attend another in the future (not every year though). Having been once now, I think I would be better able to optimize the experience. But as a newbie, I do have to admit it had it's problems for me. I do realize putting on something like this is a massive undertaking and organizing a bunch of vendors is like herding cats, but I would have also appreciated a little better organization of the vendor display area. Again, I readily admit I don't know how to achieve that goal and doubt I could do any better myself.

It may be that it's just hard to view the event through 'newbie' eyes as you are so familiar with everything. Stuff that seems obvious to an experience attendee can be confusing for a first timer.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
3rd Expo here. No matter what.. Mormon Lake is way better than Amado, where it was hotter than the surface of the Sun. (Remember??) Mormon Lake is the perfect venue IMHO. I enjoyed it, as I always do. I don't really get the food thing? We need food vendors? I always bring my own water, food, beer etc. Never like to rely on anyone else for those things. We cook gourmet food at our camp the entire time and love it! I do understand the folks flying in though maybe needing a bite.... so....I get that.
The ONLY problems I noted was the Bangladesh ish (as in density) conditions of the camping area. If MORE and MORE people are going to attend, why SHRINK the size of the camping area? MORE SPACE!!!!! Friday afternoon was INSANE trying to park and stake out an area. I guarantee if it weren't for the great type of people that come to Expo, there woulda been fistfights over camping spots. Maybe a little dust abatement in the camping areas a couple times a day would be nice. The dust was really bad. I have heard it said "Well, it's dusty when you are camping".. ya true, but most of us also don't camp with 7000 other people all driving vehicles in the dust five feet from our camp. I was also bummed that Goal Zero wasn't there. I literally save my pennies all year to pick up awesome swag so the more vendors the better. Ya we can get it all online but it's so much more fun at Expo :)
**Oh by the way... I found a shirt ( got mixed into my dirty clothes) from one of the little grey tent/shower things in the campground. It was inside the window vent where one would store clean clothes while showering to avoid the mud. If someone lost a cool shirt in the shower huts sat night... PM me with a description and I'll mail it to you. Cheers! Looking forward to next year.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. The growing population at the west Expo is the main reason we decided to finally add an eastern event, despite the logistics involved. Nevertheless, we struggle each year with traffic control, especially in the day pass area. Graham and I looked at a spot where we could cut through a fence and create a circular traffic pattern, which would solve a lot of issues. We may very well have to put a cap on camping numbers, despite our warnings that it is a confined area. I'm always surprised so few people use the surrounding dispersed camping.

A large part of our camping space problem is our interface with Mormon Lake Lodge, which has control over the lake bed. They'd rather not have people spread out; we'd rather give them more room.

We put up signs this year warning people that only badge holders were allowed in classes (as opposed to demos), ands a spot check indicated it was working well. Short of posting armed guards at each classroom, there is no way to completely prevent the problem, but I spotted not a single day pass holder in any of the six classes I taught.

Each year is a learning experience, and each year we improve some things while new problems surface. I think it's inevitable.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Jonathan, we do appreciate the many hours of prep this takes. It's one of our highlight events of the year - keep up the good work, both here and in Africa where the $$$ from this goes.

Sent via gigawatt laser...

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Jonathan, we do appreciate the many hours of prep this takes. It's one of our highlight events of the year - keep up the good work, both here and in Africa where the $$$ from this goes.

Sent via gigawatt laser...

We agree. We always enjoy the expo and plan on going to it every year. It's become a staple event for us so it's never even a question wether we are going or not.

About not checking for the class passes. I feel like spot checking would be enough. The way I see it if I didn't pay for the class I'm not going to g, hopefully people can be honest enough to not try and sneak into a bunch of classes. The expo always has a really nice relaxed atmosphere, if they were crazy watching people and checking for badges or wrist bands to make sure no one snuck into anything I think it could ruin that.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thank you both, and all.

When people say, "Why should I pay for the weekend pass when people sneak into classes anyway?" I'm always tempted to say, "Because it's the honest thing to do?" I understand the frustration, but as BurbanAZ intimated we don't want to have 300-pound bouncers roaming the venue. I think the problem is more rare than some think, especially as the demos can sometimes be confused with classes (a fair comment). We're trying to give both day-pass attendees and weekend-pass attendees a good value.

Wainiha

Explorer
I'm a bouncer hire me:hehe:. I need a first class ticket from Kauai though. I don't fit in coach. :yikes:

I would love to see this event, but sadly never will. I would camp outside of the area as I don't like be surrounded or blocked in anywhere. I agree with the comments about bringing your own food and water. I always go prepared. You can't expect someone else to have what you need and they shouldn't have to supply you.

The restaurants should have prepped up better they would have made more money(I'm also a chef).

The pictures were awesome though. I don't think there would be enough hours in the day for me to ogle all the cool rigs. I'd be happy just to see the place and learn ideas for my truck.:Wow1:

Last edited:

Gooseberry

Explorer
I was planning on camping remote and spotted a bunch of nice spots on Munds road while driving over. But with all the fun to be had I did not want to drive back at night. Thank you Alan at SMB for letting camp with them and all the others. The pups had a great time and little one loved the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hansrober

Adventurer
I had an excellent time at the expo this year! It was my first adventure trip to the the West and I must say it was life changing. My friend Joel and I arrived on Tuesday morning and camped out by Long Lake. We saw one soul between Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon! It was very peaceful. When we arrived at Mormon Lake on Thursday evening, registration was busy and parking to register was limited but it was quick and very friendly! The camping area was crammed full of folks. There was no where to set up without blocking someone else in, so we just parked. After inquiring with the volunteers directing traffic, we proceeded to shoot the breeze with those already set up and enjoying seeing such a diverse array of vehicles, trailers and personalities. After a short time I think it was certain that our camping area needed more room and another camping zone was created! We mounted up, drove 300 yards and set up camp, no sweat! Our camping neighbors we meet were incredible people. They had very different ideologies and opinions than we were accustomed to. They shared a lot of valuable information, advise and perspective on a range of different subjects. We thoroughly enjoyed each others company! I was in awe when when quiet time hit the camp area at 10pm. All went quiet and calm with very little noise and no ruckus at all. Those who arrived late where very quiet and almost reverent to there fellow overlanders with subdued lighting and minimal set up noise. I slept as good as I did at Long Lake, of course hat could have been the recovery from the 34 hour bonzi trek!
The classes I took were outstandingly informative and the instructors where of a caliber frankly I was floored by! The level of pure enthusiasm projected by hands on experts is unmatched by any other instructional training I have received! We did bring plently of food and beverages with us but I could not stay away from the Rising Hy food truck! They had the most incredible quesadillas, all fresh and local food! I hope they will come to Asheville:sombrero: It was dusty by Saturday afternoon. Our neighbors had poked fun at us setting up our screen room on the ARB awning, but the screen did a fine job of filtering the dust out.
I loved the people I met at OX14, all of them. The overflowing patient kindness, prevalent at this event and in the Overlanding community is something I found to be the most rewarding facet of my experience. The attendees, vendors, and instructors all seem to share a special enthusiasm about individual independence , personal freedom, and respect for their neighbors, resources and environment. I loved the casual easy going laid back way of the Expo. When I left on Monday there was barley a scrap of trash to be picked up! As I have read above, there will always be a few refinements and improvements to be made,and I feel that everyone involved worked hard to do there part and then some. In my experience from OX14, the awesome collection of respectful adventurous people brought together as a collective exceed their already high standards as individuals and I am very pleased to have participated in such an event.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Hansrober! We met in Memphis Texas a few days ago!!!!
It is always fun to meet another member from the portal... I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife.
Now you can put the username with the face.

I had an excellent time at the expo this year! It was my first adventure trip to the the West and I must say it was life changing. My friend Joel and I arrived on Tuesday morning and camped out by Long Lake. We saw one soul between Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon! It was very peaceful. When we arrived at Mormon Lake on Thursday evening, registration was busy and parking to register was limited but it was quick and very friendly! The camping area was crammed full of folks. There was no where to set up without blocking someone else in, so we just parked. After inquiring with the volunteers directing traffic, we proceeded to shoot the breeze with those already set up and enjoying seeing such a diverse array of vehicles, trailers and personalities. After a short time I think it was certain that our camping area needed more room and another camping zone was created! We mounted up, drove 300 yards and set up camp, no sweat! Our camping neighbors we meet were incredible people. They had very different ideologies and opinions than we were accustomed to. They shared a lot of valuable information, advise and perspective on a range of different subjects. We thoroughly enjoyed each others company! I was in awe when when quiet time hit the camp area at 10pm. All went quiet and calm with very little noise and no ruckus at all. Those who arrived late where very quiet and almost reverent to there fellow overlanders with subdued lighting and minimal set up noise. I slept as good as I did at Long Lake, of course hat could have been the recovery from the 34 hour bonzi trek!
The classes I took were outstandingly informative and the instructors where of a caliber frankly I was floored by! The level of pure enthusiasm projected by hands on experts is unmatched by any other instructional training I have received! We did bring plently of food and beverages with us but I could not stay away from the Rising Hy food truck! They had the most incredible quesadillas, all fresh and local food! I hope they will come to Asheville:sombrero: It was dusty by Saturday afternoon. Our neighbors had poked fun at us setting up our screen room on the ARB awning, but the screen did a fine job of filtering the dust out.
I loved the people I met at OX14, all of them. The overflowing patient kindness, prevalent at this event and in the Overlanding community is something I found to be the most rewarding facet of my experience. The attendees, vendors, and instructors all seem to share a special enthusiasm about individual independence , personal freedom, and respect for their neighbors, resources and environment. I loved the casual easy going laid back way of the Expo. When I left on Monday there was barley a scrap of trash to be picked up! As I have read above, there will always be a few refinements and improvements to be made,and I feel that everyone involved worked hard to do there part and then some. In my experience from OX14, the awesome collection of respectful adventurous people brought together as a collective exceed their already high standards as individuals and I am very pleased to have participated in such an event.

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am trying to find the picture I took of a great black Ford with a dual RTT set up /custom rack. I was super impressed by that rig and especially the rack. Who has a pic of that? (I want to eventually make one for my Power Wagon some how.)
Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

PBnFJ

Observer
I am trying to find the picture I took of a great black Ford with a dual RTT set up /custom rack. I was super impressed by that rig and especially the rack. Who has a pic of that? (I want to eventually make one for my Power Wagon some how.)
Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Post #42 by 1stDeuce has picture of a black Ford pickup with dual RTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues