Overland Hammock Camping

cactusjk

Explorer
I have been a big ENO fan and am not familiar with the Hennessy or Warbonnet. I am 5"11 and welcome recommendations.

Hennessy or Warbonnet are the bomb if you have the dough. Eno and Treklight if you are on a thin budget. I haven't had to upgrade from my treklights yet, so they're gonna hold up if you go that route.

The biggest thing is how you use the rain tarp and/or insulation. Watch some youtube videos and apply as needed.

Good luck.

antarctican

Observer
Been thinking about trying out a hammock, but I'm a stomach- and side-sleeper. Even if I fall asleep on my back, I wake up on my side or on my stomach. This makes me think this wouldn't be for me, though I like the idea of it. Any of you start out in the same situation, if so did you find you could/couldn't adjust?

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I can hardly sleep in a mummy bag because I sleep on my stomach if I am laying down. That being said, I will pass out in a couple minutes in a hammock and wake up feeling fine without being turned all over the place. I have an ENO hammock. I can't remember which one it is, but it's a one person one that is supposed to keep the bugs away.

brianwj

Observer
I'm a side sleeper also but have never had a problem sleeping in my hammock and I think I wake up more rested with less sleep.

barlowrs

Explorer
Im a side sleeper as well. I have a warbonnet and LOVE it. With the footbox design, I feel it is the best hammock on the market. Def won over the clark jungle hammocks and hennesy hammocks in my book. you can sleep on your side prefectly fine it..SO COMFY!

crismateski

American Adventurist
if hung properly, you can sleep in just about any position in a good hammock. I love my warbonet, it lives in the truck.

Jevy

Adventurer
Jevy, looks like you have the Speer Peapod for cold wether hammock camping. I've been considering that myself. How do you like it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TenTJ.....I'm not a Speer fan. All of my quilts are either Jacks R Better or HammockGear. Honestly I like hte JRB quilts more. I just can't seem to hang the HG quilts without having them real drafty. The JRB is just much easier for me to hang and get it right the first time. I have one of the new Warbonnett bridge hammocks here at the house but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I had emergency back surgery about 7 weeks ago and I'm probably another 5-6 weeks out from getting back into a hammock. I'm also putting together a trailer with a roof top tent. I imagine that my car camping trips will be 50/50 hanging vs rtt. For just an quick overnight the RTT will likely get used more. I love my hammocks though. We have several including hennesseys, warbonnett, JRB bridge etc. It's hard for me to explain it to people but hanging for me is just the most comfortable I can be without sleeping in my own bed.

Hoagie27

Jack of all Trades
that ENO looks rather large, can you lay somewhat flat in it?

Yea part of the reason I always tie off to the truck is so I can easily tighten it back up once it stretches a little from being in it. It's called the "Double Nest" It designed to fit 2 people in it.

zenoptic

I am on my thrid ENO DN, and love them! I sleep on my side every time. super comfey for a big guy like me. I do need to break down and get a under quilt.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I agree whole hardheartedly. As much as I like RTTs i just don't think the cost of it is very feasible for being a "bachelor overlander" I'm running a Eagle Nest Outfitters hammock. Love it!

I totally agree.

I have both a Hennessy and a large ENO. I have done jungle camping in the Hennessy and it really is great for that. I recently used it with the set up you see above posted by Karzytoy. I am hooked on what he has done and going to copy it on my next truck. The ENO I took a nap in everyday for three months while living in Panama, it rocks too.

No RTT for me....hammock, inside the truck or on the ground.

lodi781

...My work of art
I have a clark jungle hammock and love it. I brought both that and my ground tent for my last trip. The only time the ground tent came out was in arches national and joshua tree...I had no place to set up the hammock....Best sleep i've ever gotten camping...

beverly

null
Love the hammock, hard to perfect though. I still need to invest in an under quilt. They can be really finicky with pads. BIAS makes a heck of a deal for a good set up. HH are nice because of the total package. I'm not fond of ENO strap system. My BIAS WWM is super light. Once you start adding hardware, tarp, and insulation, the weight advantages start to decline. Packs down very small though.
1782f9f0adbd11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Willy G

Adventurer
Like to update this, I had my tent stolen on my 500 mile journey from WVA to Southern VA back up to Buckhannon, then home, over July 4th week, Any way back on topic, I broke down and got an Appalachian Hammock and boy I am impressed, I weigh 275lbs, and it holds me, gear and all the blankets. I'm never going back to tent camping.... :victory:536890_681593051855373_223710700_n.jpg

RubiChris

Observer
I started using a Clark North American hammock when I lived in SE AK where camping on the ground was like sleeping on a soggy mattress. As long as there are trees, it's the way to go!

Honu

lost on the mainland
bumping this to see if others are using or still using hammocks ?

just getting into them more and liking it so far for the whole family :)

2014-08-30_(16-28-57).jpg

2014-08-31_(16-13-53).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3