Overland Journal Classic Build: 1995 Range Rover

Viggen

Just here...
Maybe then you shouldnt be hacking up a 95?

This makes sense. If youre looking to minimize electronics and weight, why would you start with a 95 with its more complicated electronics, one year only windshield ($$$$), etc...?

Im about to pick up an 85 3.5/ LT77 in about 3 weeks when it gets to the East Coast. I wanted less weight and electronics so I spent the extra time to find a rust free, grey market one. I can tell you where a few others are...

Wander

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing the "donated by LRLV" part had a big part in which RRC he choose. Starting with a free truck is a pretty good place.

CruiseControl

Looking forward to seeing this build. I just purchased a 95 myself so this should help me make plans.

If you don't want the seats I know a good home that they can be sent to...

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wow, three RRC builds at the same time on ExPo. My 89, the 91 Hunter, and now your 95. :clapsmile

Viggen

Just here...
If everything goes as planned (no negatives from the pre purchase mechanics inspection), Ill have an 85 going on here too.

astateofmike

Observer
Well, this will be one to watch. I have a 95 LWB with a mild lift, diff guards and the factory guards/steps. I even have the rare factory roof rack now! Love the truck, but I am a bit tall in it....

Now, I also have a 1988SWB (Graham, we met on the Chicken Corners trip at the LRNR) and have added the 3" RTE lift, Rovertacks just about everything, Bottorf Rear bumper, GDE Winch bumper etc....but the best mods I ever did were the factory cloth/manual seats and the non sunroof roof (thank you Roverdude John Gadd!) so I fit. Plans are for the 24 spline setup and 4.2....

I loved the Disco build and expect great things from this one too!

benlittle

Adventurer
Having owned both SWB and LWB versions of the RRC, I will disagree with what Bob Burns said.

But, I know you will make a killer truck, it's not too far from where you want it already. The RRC is the most under-rated expo-truck there is...well, next to the Samurai.

I agree on all accounts, Mike ;)

Charo

Observer
I also look forward to watching this build, as I'm currently working on a 91 RRC named Charo (which is an East African tribal word meaning "journey"). It is a budget build for now, but I thoroughly enjoy driving it and seeing what mods are the best bang for the buck. So far my only additions to stock are the OME suspension and 235/85 BFG Mud-Terrains. And I guess the bedliner interior that serves as a front carpet replacement for the time being after the heater core sprung a "leak".

burn_e

Adventurer
I am looking forward for this build.

I hope to see a lot of pics since I can't source the Overland Journal over here. Especially I am interested in the intereur modifications. I am pretty sure this will be a very sensible build, but I my opinion a great Overlander not just to attach some bumpers, roofrack and a lift kit (which is all covered more or less good till REM)
its the little smart things that make the big difference.

Viggen

Just here...
I also look forward to watching this build, as I'm currently working on a 91 RRC named Charo (which is an East African tribal word meaning "journey").

Im glad you clarified. I was beginning to think we had a celebrity on here:
María del Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Gutiérrez de los Perales Santa Ana Romanguera y de la Hinojosa Rasten
charo-color-70.jpg

gjackson

FRGS
This makes sense. If youre looking to minimize electronics and weight, why would you start with a 95 with its more complicated electronics, one year only windshield ($$$$), etc...?

Im about to pick up an 85 3.5/ LT77 in about 3 weeks when it gets to the East Coast. I wanted less weight and electronics so I spent the extra time to find a rust free, grey market one. I can tell you where a few others are...

Well, I have to disagree. For a truck that I intend to have for a very long time why would I start with anything but the newest model I can get my hands on? The electronics on a '95 are not that complicated. I just don't want a lot of them, and given the mods I'm making most of them will come out anyway. Not a matter of just removing the electronics for removals sake. This truck is getting a 300tdi and a manual trans, so all the engine management electronics will go away. And the 300tdi came stock in the 1995, but sure didn't in the late 80's trucks. Makes a much nicer conversion when the factory prepped for the engine you plan on installing.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven