Overland Journal Classic Build: 1995 Range Rover

gjackson

FRGS
Did you decide to keep the subwoofer box after all?
-Michael

Ha! Of all the things I don't want in the RRC, that tops the list at the moment:

attachment.php

Although it was mentioned that this might be some sort of supplementary propulsion system. (I think Land Rover's attempt to make a hybrid; SonicDrive, they call it) :Wow1:

cheers

Attachments

• SubW.jpg
    SubW.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,140
Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
Well, stage one of this project is coming to a close. Details will be in the Gear issue of Overland Journal, but suffice to say the major mod was going from this:

attachment.php

to this:

attachment.php

And from the left to the right assemblies in this pic:

attachment.php

I owe a bunch to Keith of RoverTracks for his help in the conversion. But don't bug him too much on diesels. He gives advice, but only works on very select vehicles. :)

The 300 is running a treat now, and I just got the temp tags for the truck. Emissions tomorrow along with a change in title from gas to diesel and we'll be off and running.

cheers

Attachments

• V8.JPG
    V8.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 300tdi.JPG
    300tdi.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Pedals.JPG
    Pedals.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,092

seashore

Observer
it just seems proper that the incoming pedals already are caked in mud, while the outgoing set (along with the jet propulsion system) is not.

gjackson

FRGS
On the topic of budget build, it is all relative. To me this is budget:

300tdi drivetrain $6,000 (used)
1995 RRC $1,000 (KBB value in 'fair' condition, bad paint, torn seats etc)
Additional parts needed (seats, A/C kit, radiator, trim parts etc) $1,000

So far I'm at $8,000, which is what you'd pay for a 1995 Land Cruiser (in excellent condition, I admit). I get a diesel, a manual, and a truck that will last for many years. Sure beats $30 - $40k for a new truck.

That's just in parts, of course. I do most of the labor myself, and have really good people like Keith who help me.

Have you seen his 110?

:) I've never had anyone faint when I told them what I paid for the 110, but it's been close. Probably the best deal I ever made.

cheers

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Kindly donated to the cause by Land Rover Las Vegas, this will be a pretty simple, budget build of what is arguably the best example of the Range Rover Classic, and the pinnacle of that classic line, the 1995 SWB.

Can't wait to see how this goes. I like the direction this drivetrain is taking, but really, the best example of the RRC is a 2 door. Don't care what year, but they look better than any 4dr RRC swb or lwb. just sayin'. :)

Looking forward to the updates.

Mike and Myles

gjackson

FRGS
. . . but really, the best example of the RRC is a 2 door. Don't care what year, but they look better than any 4dr RRC swb or lwb. just sayin'. :)

Okay, yeah, you got me there. I also love the look of the original classics. Even the colors they came in were great; Sahara Dust and Maasai Red. Saw a two door in Longmont when I was getting the exhaust hooked up on the '95. It was at Essex motors and is the owners ride. Very nice looking truck!

attachment.php

Cheers

Attachments

• 2drrc.jpg
    2drrc.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 931

gjackson

FRGS
If you don't want the seats I know a good home that they can be sent to...

Sorry for the delayed response on this. The front seats were pretty trashed, and I don't have them anymore. If you are interested in the back seat, it is the light leather and is in reasonable shape.

cheers

gjackson

FRGS
Theres always that list of things that no longer work because they were set up for a gas motor, and not a diesel.

I'm very sensitive to this, and I want everything on the truck to work properly. I hate it where there are a bunch of warning light for systems no longer there, buttons and other controls that don't do what they are supposed to etc. Of course some things have gone away, so the warning lights will have to go to, like SRS, TC and ABS. Some buttons are no longer needed like those for the air suspension, but I'm sure I can find an appropriate use for them. :)

Right now I'm battling the t-case position alarm, but that will be fixed shortly. It was nice of LR to include the wiring for the diff lock light even if they didn't put a bulb in the dash. That's an easy fix.

One thing that's a little more complicated involves a kit that Keith (again :Wow1: that guy is amazing . . .) was able to source for me:

attachment.php

Anyone know what it is? :victory:

cheers

Attachments

• Comp.jpg
    Comp.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven