Overland Journal Classic Build: 1995 Range Rover

gjackson

FRGS
air conditioning or on-board air

You got it. A full 300tdi A/C kit, idlers, tensioner, bracket, compressor, the works. Nice set. Now I just have to hook up the pipes and get it charged. Anyone know of a good A/C shop in the Denver/Boulder area?

cheers

gjackson

FRGS
There was a discussion in Scott's Disco thread about the rotoflex and people's opinions as to why it should be kept or discarded. I don't like the rotoflex. I'm getting rid of it. One big reason is the rear pinion seal. Every coiler LR I've had (D90, D110, D1, RRC) has eventually had a rear pinion seal start to leak. It's an easy swap even in the field if you have a spare, unless you have a rotoflex. Pulling the centralising peg without LRT 51-008 is a real pain, and when I did it on this RRC, I had to cut the pinion flange and make my own slide hammer which required a welder. Not an easy field job. I'm going to u-joints on this truck. I couldn't re-use the prop shafts that came with it anyway, since I went to an LT230 and the Borg Warner shafts don't fit. So a call to Tom Woods was in order.

attachment.php

cheers

Attachments

• PShafts.jpg
    PShafts.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:

Snagger

Explorer
Well, this will be one to watch. I have a 95 LWB with a mild lift, diff guards and the factory guards/steps. I even have the rare factory roof rack now! Love the truck, but I am a bit tall in it....

Now, I also have a 1988SWB (Graham, we met on the Chicken Corners trip at the LRNR) and have added the 3" RTE lift, Rovertacks just about everything, Bottorf Rear bumper, GDE Winch bumper etc....but the best mods I ever did were the factory cloth/manual seats and the non sunroof roof (thank you Roverdude John Gadd!) so I fit. Plans are for the 24 spline setup and 4.2....

I loved the Disco build and expect great things from this one too!
Ah - a man after my own heart... I have a 95 soft-dash Vogue, so no EAS, no sun roof, no leather, no troublesome seat ECUs; just a reliable and robust 300Tdi with the less power sapping R380. I did fit seat heating and a heated front screen (just needed the heating pads, screen and switch gear as the wiring is already present) and will be fitting aircon (all genuine). Epsom green, with TWR alloys and police spec rear springs that give it the same poise as a RR Sport - it's wonderful.

It has over 180,000 miles on it, and is mechanically original except for the PAS box the fuel injection system and water pump (the old one did the common 300Tdi squeal), so will be getting its transmission rebuilt this coming year (it works, but second can crunch if you change too quickly and the viscous coupling is getting stiffer). The existing units are the ones to be rebuilt, not replaced with recon, as i want to preserve its originality. Apart from fitting a four-pin front diff, it'll be staying standard; these are pretty rare beasts, especially in the plain Vogue spec rather than the full leather/EAS Vogue SE trim, so I only make subtle changes with factory equipment. Externally, apart from not having the typical saggy rear, it's staying the way it left the factory; less is more with a range Rover.

I did attach photos, but this forum is not showing them for some reason...

Paladin

Banned
There was a discussion in Scott's Disco thread about the rotoflex and people's opinions as to why it should be kept or discarded. I don't like the rotoflex. I'm getting rid of it. One big reason is the rear pinion seal. Every coiler LR I've had (D90, D110, D1, RRC) has eventually had a rear pinion seal start to leak. It's an easy swap even in the field if you have a spare, unless you have a rotoflex. Pulling the centralising peg without LRT 51-008 is a real pain, and when I did it on this RRC, I had to cut the pinion flange and make my own slide hammer which required a welder. Not an easy field job. I'm going to u-joints on this truck. I couldn't re-use the prop shafts that came with it anyway, since I went to an LT230 and the Borg Warner shafts don't fit. So a call to Tom Woods was in order.

attachment.php

cheers

Interesting. Did Scott ever get his vibrations sorted out?

Snagger

Explorer
Viggen, I understand where you are coming from. But to find a manual RRC in North America isn't easy, and to find one in good shape is even rarer. The fact that it is a one year windshield doesn't bother me. The fact that it shares most components (including dash) with a D1 means I can get all the manual conversion pieces (actually already have them) out of a manual D1. I already had a 300tdi with R380 and LT230, so they just bolt in (kinda). I actually took the easier route for myself. Sourcing euro spec manual conversion parts would have been hard, but the fact that there are wrecked manual D1s here means parts are (relatively) easy to come by.

As with all projects, this took a bit of planning and the accumulation over time of the parts necessary. The donor truck was actually one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

cheers
The dash is not the same as the D1, though it superficially resembles it. Look closely above the stereo unit and around the instrument binnacle.

The axles, steering, gear box and engine are common, as is the heating and aircon system, but that's about all - some of the inner body shell is similar, but not identical, and the outer panels and interior trim are all different. You many be able to use components from the Discovery doors, like locks, window mechanisms, glass and upper frames, but the lower frames even have different profiles to accommodate the body panel contours.

As for the anti-roll bars, having driven RRCs with and without them, a daily driver is grossly inferior with them removed. i do understand removing them if the vehicle is going off the tarmac frequently, but have you considered the selectable type, as made by the UK's X-Eng? It's brilliant - a torque rod with a free wheeling hub on one end attached to the arm - you don't need to do anything other than select "disengaged" on the FWH head to have full articulation off road and then flick it back to "engaged" for road use - the best of both worlds... http://x-eng.co.uk/X-DeFlex.asp

Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
The dash is not the same as the D1, though it superficially resembles it. Look closely above the stereo unit and around the instrument binnacle.

While the dash surround is not the same, the components within the dash do cross over. What was important to me was the center console interface. The Discovery center console is a direct swap, and I needed that for the manual conversion. I had already sourced a Disco manual center with the thought of adapting it for my '89 Classic, but that proved impractical. For this truck it was perfect.

As for the anti-roll bars, having driven RRCs with and without them, a daily driver is grossly inferior with them removed. i do understand removing them if the vehicle is going off the tarmac frequently, but have you considered the selectable type, as made by the UK's X-Eng?http://x-eng.co.uk/X-DeFlex.asp

I'm actually liking the ride with no sway bars, but then I was driving a 110 with a 3" lift and very soft springs. I'm very used to body roll. :Wow1: The suspension is going to be a work in progress until I get the truck complete and the load settled in. Right now she is running OME medium springs and their sport shocks with no spacers or anything else. As I get her loaded up with all the farckles I'll play with the suspension to get it right. I'll take a look at the X-Eng offering.

cheers

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
but have you considered the selectable type, as made by the UK's X-Eng? It's brilliant - a torque rod with a free wheeling hub on one end attached to the arm - you don't need to do anything other than select "disengaged" on the FWH head to have full articulation off road and then flick it back to "engaged" for road use - the best of both worlds... http://x-eng.co.uk/X-DeFlex.asp

Hmm. Very interesting.

gjackson

FRGS
Nothing like cold weather to bring home the small things that you haven't got to yet. Like glow plugs. :Wow1:

Luckily for me Nick got me a glow plug timer relay from the UK, and it was just a matter of going through the RAVE to make sure I hooked it up correctly. Unfortunately I had pulled the plow plug light wire through the firewall and cut it in my great wiring excision, but it won't be hard to replace. Had to source some 12ga fusible link line from NAPA and a bunch of connectors. The glow plug light in the instrument binnacle will have to get a bulb as LR didn't put one in. Then on to wiring and being able to start on cold mornings!

cheers

Thor

Observer
Another Stink Bomb on the road.... the fuel not your build.

I hope you're having a ball playing with the RR!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven