Overland Journal Classic Build: 1995 Range Rover

Viggen

Just here...
Well, I have to disagree. For a truck that I intend to have for a very long time why would I start with anything but the newest model I can get my hands on? The electronics on a '95 are not that complicated. I just don't want a lot of them, and given the mods I'm making most of them will come out anyway. Not a matter of just removing the electronics for removals sake. This truck is getting a 300tdi and a manual trans, so all the engine management electronics will go away. And the 300tdi came stock in the 1995, but sure didn't in the late 80's trucks. Makes a much nicer conversion when the factory prepped for the engine you plan on installing.

cheers

Too each their own. If youre going to remove the motor, youre going to lose the engines electronics which is okay but not where many of the problems lie. 14 CUX trucks are ridiculously simple, engine management wise. 1995: One year only windscreen, fusible links (!), everything has a controller or ecu (windows, central locking and alarm ecu, mfu, etc...). 2.5 tdi/ LT77/ LT230 came in the early ones so a 200tdi/ LT77/ LT230 wouldnt be too much of a stretch to possibly be factory looking. I guess for me, if I want a manual, I would rather find one with it from the factory than go through the arduous (and more expensive) process of piecing together the factory bits needed to convert over to manual. I would spend more time and money doing that than just searching a little. If it were going to get a diesel, I wouldve started with the most simple truck available in order to minimize the amount of interaction that the electronics and charging system of the EFI trucks already have with the body of the truck making it that much easier. It could just be that I have never personally seen a good conversion personally. Theres always that list of things that no longer work because they were set up for a gas motor, and not a diesel. But, like I said, and keeping in mind that it was a free truck, to each their own. Im still interested to watch your build. Your 110 is pretty awesome so Im sure this will be pretty good too.

gjackson

FRGS
Viggen, I understand where you are coming from. But to find a manual RRC in North America isn't easy, and to find one in good shape is even rarer. The fact that it is a one year windshield doesn't bother me. The fact that it shares most components (including dash) with a D1 means I can get all the manual conversion pieces (actually already have them) out of a manual D1. I already had a 300tdi with R380 and LT230, so they just bolt in (kinda). I actually took the easier route for myself. Sourcing euro spec manual conversion parts would have been hard, but the fact that there are wrecked manual D1s here means parts are (relatively) easy to come by.

As with all projects, this took a bit of planning and the accumulation over time of the parts necessary. The donor truck was actually one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

cheers

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
I already had a 300tdi with R380 and LT230, so they just bolt in (kinda).

Makes perfect sense then. I wish I had that set up laying around. Whats the purpose of the truck going to be? Same as the 110 or a little more built?

astateofmike

Observer
I'd really like to see the dash of a D1 (I can't seem to jog my memory) but I thought it looked more like the one in my DII (the instrument binacle area) and the 95 in the garage does not have the same dash...I was surpirsed. I'll have to find a DI and look. But the LWB is a smooth one piece. That settles it, I will now buy a DI (the wife somewhere just got a chill down her back) for comparison!

Matt, the windshield on the 1995 is more like on the D1 (shorter I guess you could say) as the 87-94's all were the same...BUT, I got a brand new windshiled for my 1988 SWB from Safelite when needed, so I bet they have replacment for a 95. Really, availability is the only concern.

Me, I love my RRC. Seems much more stable than my stock height DII. My LWB is wonderful (if I was about 4" shorter) and would be my only RRC, but I hit my head on the roof, so it is the wife's.

The only issues I have and would change on the RRC are the sunroof (my 88 has a solid top now), the seats (88 has cloth hunter seats now) and I wish the rear liftgate did not slope....limits cargo stacking..... Other than that, my SWB 88 with the 3.5 original engine with over 200k on it still moves along...not as fast all the time (uphill on the highway) but holds her own...

I'll be watching at the TDI conversion as when my engine goes, I was doing a 4.2.....but...

gjackson

FRGS
Whats the purpose of the truck going to be? Same as the 110 or a little more built?

Primarily the truck will be my daily driver. It's going to take those duties away from the 110, because using my 110 as a DD is just killing me. So in that sense it will keep all the seats, probably keep most of the load bay clear, and have minimal external add-ons (roof racks and the like). But on the drivetrain and suspension side options are more open. Still want to keep road manners comfortable, so not a huge lift, though the sway bars will go away. Tire size is not set yet, so I'll be looking into that. If I can I'd like to lock the rear diff, and ideally, both front and rear. That will predicate half-shaft upgrades etc.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is getting a weight comparison before and after the build. I'll be competing with Roseann's 60 on fuel economy, so we'll see how that goes.

cheers

BeachBum

Observer
Actually the classic was produced until '96 in Europe. 300tdi and and a5 speed being the norm. Never seen a Classic in Spain with anything other then cloth interior by the way. Look on autoscout.eu , parts are quite cheap over here also. I'll bet you can find a friend with a container that could ship you a complete drivetrain. Segundamano.com in also a very good source.

landroverlv

Subscribed! Can't wait to see what you do with the RRC Graham. We'll have to do a photoshoot with your 95 SWB and our 95 LWB.

High Center

Adventurer
So...if I already have (and love) a D1...why do I still haunt craigslist late at night for RRC's?

This isn't helping.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

DB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven