Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Willman

Thanks Scott!

You will be bring once again bring another sweet ride to the show!

Can't wait to see pictures!.....

Let us know how you like the new muds too....I 'm wondering how they will compair in your eyes to the older ones....

Carry-on brother!!!

:bowdown:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
expeditionswest said:
This stuff should be on display in an art gallery...

Pinion Angle Adjuster: Totally eliminated all vibes.

Disco_SEMA%20(2).jpg

All of the goodness, ready to go on: All from Inland Rovers
Disco_SEMA%20(3).jpg

Front control arms, absolute perfection, and the welds are beautiful:
Disco_SEMA%20(4).jpg

Nice SB, looks like Santa came early to the Brady household! Gordon and Anita at Inland Rovers are the ones to watch for LR suspension components IMHO. Anyone looking for a SG 3-Link as I know of a real nice one for sale:)

Willman

Andrew Walcker said:
Nice SB, looks like Santa came early to the Brady household!

I still believe Scott lives @ the north pole!

Or has a few big old money trees in the backyard....It is fall by the way!

:sombrero:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I’m curious as well. I really like the different 'look' of the BFG KM2 treads, and look forward to hearing about their noise, balancing, and performance.

Willman said:
...snip

Let us know how you like the new muds too....I 'm wondering how they will compair in your eyes to the older ones....

Carry-on brother!!!

:bowdown:

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
Looking Good Scott!

I'm running the 285/75/16 KM2's on my disco and they're great in the rocks. Haven't had them in the mud that much though... kinda hard to find any in the desert:sombrero:

revor

Explorer
Redline said:
I’m curious as well. I really like the different 'look' of the BFG KM2 treads, and look forward to hearing about their noise, balancing, and performance.

Very quiet (considering the tire type), good in water, decent in snow, decent on ice, seem to be good wearing, not so good in mud... About two steps above a Goodyear mtr in mud, but nothing compared to the old MT, and pales in the light of a Swamper.

That Said not as good as an MTR in snow or ice, better on the rocks (especially if it's loose or has serious ledges.

I'll buy another set... Or two.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
That tire is the reason I rushed out to get a set of the old tread pattern. While I can certainly see it being better in most situations, it doesn't clean as effectively as the old design- and mud is what we mostly have up here. If I wanted a dedicated mud tire, I would opt for a Swamper, but the old-style BFG MT was one of the best compromise tires available. Eventually I will be unable to find the old-style BFG (it was hard enough to round up four at Costco), and I'll take another look at the new design. My hope is they come out with a more aggressive design the replace the old KM.

blupaddler

Conspirator
expeditionswest said:
For the Adventure Trailer, I am fitting an adapter from the Toyota lug pattern to the Land Rover lug pattern.

Scott, curious where you found this adapter? I have to go opposite of you... from Land Rover bolt pattern on my Sankey trailer to the Toyota pattern.

BTW... The Disco is looking really good.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
revor said:
That Said not as good as an MTR in snow or ice, better on the rocks (especially if it's loose or has serious ledges.

Really? My impressions from Moab were the opposite, though slickrock is different, but they didn't seem to hookup as fast as the MTRs and seemed to break traction faster -- e.g. the trucks with MTRs would get further up or down an obstacle before the tire started sliding. I think the BFG's are my next set of off road tires.

revor

Explorer
I found that the big lugs of the KM2 really bit on ledges.. I had little opportunity to do any "compound testing" trails while I was at the Rally.. I did find that earlier in the year some of the Slickrock obstacles seemed easier than with the MTR's. My MTR's are siped so I would think that would help.

But I am torn, I love both tires. Our Yellow truck will need tires next spring, not sure what I'm doing yet..

Willman

bigreen505 said:
Really? My impressions from Moab were the opposite, though slickrock is different, but they didn't seem to hookup as fast as the MTRs and seemed to break traction faster -- e.g. the trucks with MTRs would get further up or down an obstacle before the tire started sliding. I think the BFG's are my next set of off road tires.

Aren't the MTR softer rubber.....I have heard that......If i remember right....BajaTaco had them.....

http://www.bajataco.com/bajastires.html

Chris didn't like them on the street but loved the MTR's offroad.....

I can't wait until Scott puts his .02 on these new mud tires from BF.

:)

pint

Adventurer
All this madness is making me want to go buy a Disco more every day! Keep up the great work Scott!

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

Here are a few "beauty" shots just after SEMA. While my requirements for this vehicle do not include a rack (i.e., I have the trailer and do not carry more than two passengers), it was a good test to fit the BajaRack on the Disco. Overall, I was quite impressed with the quality and design, and the method of fitment makes it super easy to toss the rack up top, should I need it (like for the training courses we do).

SEMA_Mods.jpg

I am also pretty happy with the LightForce 170s, which I fitted to the rack and bumper. They are light-weight and simple. I do intend to swap out the 170s for the new Genesis lights in HID. I typically like only two aux lights, but of high quality and performance. So it will be a spot mounted to the drivers side and a driving mounted to the passenger side, which is typically called "aussie" style.

I also wanted a very simple and unobtrusive GPS permanently mounted, so we pulled the knock-out for the sunroof control blank and mounted the CrossOver to it and wired the power supply to the dome light constant 12v source. Simple and effective, and completely reversible installation.
SEMA_Mods%20(1).jpg

RonL

Adventurer
The truck likes great!!!!!

I also like the GPS mount, you could also install the factory homelink(garage door open) to the same power lead as the domelight. Look around ebay, they are anywhere from $20-60.

Have you thought about moving the Overland decal to the rear quarter panel like Camel Trophy had the Land Rover decal?

Attachments

• DSCF2944small.JPG
    DSCF2944small.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 306

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk