Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Roemer1

Observer
I must say the Trailer looks much better than I anticipated.

I thought it might look funny with the small tires, but it looks quite nice with the maching set to the Disco. Jeremy will be happy to know that I was wrong. :D

Very nice Scott, Very nice.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
3054364039_cf6ff4c3be_o.jpg

Ah, You gotta love that classic kit. Much nicer than the welded wire versions that regularly wash up on the beach. Though they occasionally contain dinner.

Jim
:eatchicke

blakesrover

Observer
BUMP for 2009.

BUMP for Inspiration.

BUMP cause i have a brand new (to me) pristine white 98 that I want to keep clean in almost all of the same ways. :wings:

Think brady is back from S. America....still have plans for deisel?

benlittle

Adventurer
Looks good Scott ;) I'm digging the KM2's as well. My favorite part of your truck so far though, the seat covers. Those sandstorm covers are zexy!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Much to report...

All of the SEMA bling is off, and it is back to just how I like it - simple.

The efforts to strengthen the foundation continue, and the next phase will be gearing, new third members, new front and rear axle shafts, a new rear drive shaft and a pair of ARB lockers.

I am also pulling together all of the components for the house system electricals, including a BlueSea fuse block from Sierra Expeditions and a very unique approach to preserving 12v starting duties. More research is required, but the parts are coming. Essentially, the truck will only have one (big) battery, a LVD and a solar system. All in an effort to keep things simple and lite. None of this has been tested yet, so I will reserve judgement until a few trips are under my belt.

I still need to decide on the HAM radio, and I am working on a way to integrate the IPhone with the factory radio.

I am loving the AT drawer system, and have been refining the equipment stored there, camping systems, etc. The Adventure Trailer has seen several improvements as well.

More soon :D

vengeful

Explorer
I am working on a way to integrate the IPhone with the factory radio.

My iPhone works great with my Alpine iPod controller. If you can get an iPod interface for the factory radio, then you should be able to do it. You'll get a little warning message when connecting it, but it works wonderfully. "This device is not made for iPhone, would you like to enable Airplane mode?" or something to that effect. I choose No, and it automatically pauses the music when a phone call comes in. Pretty cool!

Scott Brady

Founder
I am also going through the process of deciding on the gear ratio, and am currently leaning towards 3.90:1. I think it will be the perfect ratio with 245/75 or 235/85 tires and a 300TDI

dallasrover

Adventurer
My iPhone works great with my Alpine iPod controller. If you can get an iPod interface for the factory radio, then you should be able to do it. You'll get a little warning message when connecting it, but it works wonderfully. "This device is not made for iPhone, would you like to enable Airplane mode?" or something to that effect. I choose No, and it automatically pauses the music when a phone call comes in. Pretty cool!

John at Roverville Radio has IPOD adaptors for the factory D1/DII radios. I am not sure about the I Phone yet, but it may a place to try. Here a link with the description.

http://www.roverville.us/"]http://www.roverville.us/[/URL]

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What final drive ratio and high-range T-case ratio does it currently have?

You are running BFG ATs in 245/75 right?

I am also going through the process of deciding on the gear ratio, and am currently leaning towards 3.90:1. I think it will be the perfect ratio with 245/75 or 235/85 tires and a 300TDI

Scott Brady

Founder
I am further along on the drivetrain upgrades, and am excited by the prospect of adding even more durability and reliability to my favorite member of the fleet.

Here is step one: Axles
3.90:1 Axle gearing from Great Basin Rovers, which will be installed into a fresh set of third members, new bearing, seals, HD axle shafts, etc. along with front and rear ARB air locking differentials (RD128). The ARBs will be connected to the air valves with HD stainless lines.

If I intended to keep the V8, a 4.1:1 (or the new 4.14:1) ratio would have been ideal, but with the plans to install a 300TDI, the 3.90:1 is the best choice. Highway speeds will be limited to around 65 mph with the ability for some passing, but I am perfectly content with that in this truck. Overall performance should be excellent on the trail and when fully loaded.

Step two: Brakes
I am still investigating here, but the brakes need to be serviced in the rear and upgraded in the front. Most likely the front will be upgraded to DBA rotors and stock pads. The vented rotors will aid with reduced fade, etc. I may upgrade the rear rotors as well. The Expedition Exchange brake lines are of interest as well for their increased length and better brake feel.

I will also be disabling the ABS system and the dash light. The Disco I ABS system is actually a hazard from my experience.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With regards to the front brakes, you can upgrade the front to D90 rotors and calipers- the vented, thicker rotors and larger pads. I am doing this on my Discovery, and will post a writeup soon.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am also busy assembling the final inventory of recovery equipment and making some upgrades to the Warn M8000 winch. I would love to fit an 8274 to the front, but like the low-weight and solid performance of the M8000 for this vehicle. The Warn Endurance 12 comes with a sealed solenoid unit, which is considerably more robust than the traditional 4-solenoid unit that is delivered with the M8000 (and has failed on me before).

Fortunately, I am in the middle of a comprehensive review of recovery kits for the summer issue of Overland Journal, so that will help sort-out which recovery kit I will end up with. Surprisingly, recovery kits and associated straps have undergone significant changes in the last few years. Competition has been good for the customer.

I am also investigating improved (and better accessible) recovery points F&R. I like the Dixon-Bate units for their efficiency of use and solid foundation.
DSC07142.jpg

kalimantan96001.jpg

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Cool stuff Scott. I think you'll be really happy with the DBA rotors. I did a near complete brake system overhaul on my 80 which included rebuilt Toyota calipers, Slee's stainless lines, DBA slotted rotors and Axxis ultimate ceramic pads. The difference is truly AMAZING. The pedal is firm and the stopping power makes me smile every time I have to mash on the pedal.

I can't wait to hear of the recent changes in the recovery department and to see some pictures of the nitty gritty on the Disco...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal