Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

burn_e

Adventurer
We completed the Altar Dune crossing, and the Discovery was a champ. The V8 was just enough power and the BFG ATs exceeded my expectations (especially at 12 psi). These were big dunes and over 40 miles long. In total, the trip was just shy of 1,000 miles. Adjusted for my gearing, my best tank was 17mpg and my worst was 10mpg. I never needed the spare fuel, although it was really close in the dunes.

Congratulations on the great trip. Happy you had a good time in the dunes.

I was wondering why you were so worried about the range of the car in the dunes. As you might expect we get a lot of dune driving here (well actually it is quite a drive to find something which is not covered with sand) and usually my RRC (3.9ltr) gives me easily 250 km/ 155 Miles offroad on the tank before the light comes on.

Did you guys had to cover a long stretch before or after entering the sand that you got tight on fuel?

Scott Brady

Founder
Congratulations on the great trip. Happy you had a good time in the dunes.

I was wondering why you were so worried about the range of the car in the dunes. As you might expect we get a lot of dune driving here (well actually it is quite a drive to find something which is not covered with sand) and usually my RRC (3.9ltr) gives me easily 250 km/ 155 Miles offroad on the tank before the light comes on.

Did you guys had to cover a long stretch before or after entering the sand that you got tight on fuel?

We covered nearly 160 miles of dirt in total. The 40 miles across the dunes was only as the crow flies, not our actual route.

There are so many variables, including disabled vehicles that may need to be towed, sand conditions (hot/dry sand as opposed to cool/moist sand). We had not crossed these dunes before and the route was determined on Google earth. Proper preparation requires you to estimate consumption and then double it to ensure a PNR close enough to the exit point. Three of the other trucks all needed to use several cans of fuel. Weight of the vehicle, traction, driver style and drivetrain efficiency all being a factor. We have crossed large stretches of Saharan and Australian sand seas and found that adequate fuel reserve is a critical planning/safety consideration.

boozewz

Observer
Awesome trip, and well looking forward to the write up in OJ. The terrain is very similar to the dunes we have here.

How did the Maxtrax perform? Did you put them to use? Also, where did you obtain the ratchet strap that ties the Maxtrax to the spare tire?

Cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
Awesome trip, and well looking forward to the write up in OJ. The terrain is very similar to the dunes we have here.

How did the Maxtrax perform? Did you put them to use? Also, where did you obtain the ratchet strap that ties the Maxtrax to the spare tire?

Cheers

On this particular trip, we did not use the MaxTrax. We had enough extra vehicles and winches. We did drop into one bowl that was extremely difficult to exit and I was sure we were going to need to lay them all out.

MaxTrax has a new strap system just released. We are completing our evaluation on it and will post to the home page in the next few days.

colvere

Observer
Camping gear list

Could you provide your camping gear list for this trip, looks like the trailer stayed home. I am still working on my camping gear list and plan on leaving it in the truck the whole time.

How did the gearing work out for you, I know you geared it for the eventual installation of a TDI. I am in gear selection mode for my 99 and plan on keeping 4.0. I would want a ballence between mpg and trail worthiness.

Scott Brady

Founder
Could you provide your camping gear list for this trip, looks like the trailer stayed home. I am still working on my camping gear list and plan on leaving it in the truck the whole time.

How did the gearing work out for you, I know you geared it for the eventual installation of a TDI. I am in gear selection mode for my 99 and plan on keeping 4.0. I would want a ballence between mpg and trail worthiness.

We will post our camping list in the coming weeks. It is a project we have been working towards.

In this truck's configuration, the 3.90:1s are perfect, even with the V8. Long term, the goal is still TDi and 235/85s, but the truck is working so darn good as is, so the motivation is less.

colvere

Observer
I would think even with 235/85 and 3.90 mileage would be good and it would wheel and pull small trailer fine with v8. I have to spend a few days in Salt lake and was going to leave my rig a great basin to update diffs soon.

Scott Brady

Founder
The newest accessory - only for special occasions.

HighLander.
HighLander.jpg

I really wanted a LowLander and will still be on the lookout for one, but this will do for now. Getting the ladder too.

I wanted to have a few factory accessories while they are still available. This rack was particularly clean and rust free. I will set-up a lightweight floor and use it for photography and firewood. . .

It will stay off the truck most of the time.

LtFuzz

Explorer
It is impossible to resist continually modifying a nice white D1. Sorry Scott, you're doomed.

Eventually we will see Hellas, a rear Matador, and probably at least a TruTrac in the rear.

Bummer you didn't try to find a CT Expo rack -- they look oh-so-good.

colvere

Observer
Sweet it is the same one I have. Now lets see how it affects your camping list. I have heard lights help with wind noise from rack:sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder
It is impossible to resist continually modifying a nice white D1. Sorry Scott, you're doomed.

You are probably right ;)

I do like the look of the rack on the truck.

I am also seriously considering a move to 235/85 R16 tires. I want to try a taller tire for increased clearance, but also in a really mild tread pattern. Consider it more of testing a theory I have than anything worthy of a recommendation. I am also considering buying another full set of wheels and getting some 7.5 XZLs partly for muddy conditions, but mostly because they will look sweet

Michelin LTZ MS2
LTX+MS2.jpg

shogun

Adventurer
I am also seriously considering a move to 235/85 R16 tires. I want to try a taller tire for increased clearance, but also in a really mild tread pattern. Consider it more of testing a theory I have than anything worthy of a recommendation. I am also considering buying another full set of wheels and getting some 7.5 XZLs partly for muddy conditions, but mostly because they will look sweet

https://www.treadwright.com/p-27-235-85r16-axiom-a-t-e.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal