Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I had sidewall issues with those tires on my DII. Might have been driver error though, as it was my first few times off road. :-|

benlittle

Adventurer
Don't lump me in with Marc. He does know what he's doing. The only thing I've got figured out is that I don't have much figured out.

When I first got on dweb in about 2004... The first thing Marc said to me was something like... "welcome, now sell that DII and get a DI"...LOL

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
LOL! I think he said the same thing to me. I coulda saved a lot of bloody knuckles, time, and money if I would have listened.

Exploder
I've discovered something: I like my wife's '96 D1 that we picked up for $1500 more than my D2.

Shame. I've made a lot of memories with that truck.

dustin_keib

Scott

You have done a wonderful job of documenting a mild yet extremely capable overlanding/DD Disco. Something I intend to do with my 98 LSE I just purchased (Second Disco, first was a 01 Disco II)

I intend to follow a lot of the things you have done with your build. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, retaining most if not all of the daily driving comfort that Discos are known for, while fixing reliability and increasing performance (more tweaking performance) along the way.

To this end, I am currently researching and thinking through my modifications, while I continue to learn proper driving techniques and the general "feel" of the marvelously capable stock Disco I have now. I currently do some very mild (by probably everyone on this board's standards) wheeling with some friends here in LHC, AZ - I am very new to this slickrock/desert sand terrain we have here - I came from the muddy midwest.

I love the writeup you have done here. As others have asked, I'd love a summary (been through the thread, and realized I needed to go back and take notes - after 120 pages - oops!)

Also, I noticed someone mentioned a writeup of this in your/someone's magazine? Is that available somewhere for purchase as a back issue?

Thanks for the help in advance. And, for the record, even though I'm probably last in line, I'd be interested if you ever sell this gem of a Disco - it is everything I am planning for mine, and so much more! And white to boot! (Although I love my original rover green...)

Thanks
Dustin

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Scott

You have done a wonderful job of documenting a mild yet extremely capable overlanding/DD Disco. Something I intend to do with my 98 LSE I just purchased (Second Disco, first was a 01 Disco II)

I intend to follow a lot of the things you have done with your build. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, retaining most if not all of the daily driving comfort that Discos are known for, while fixing reliability and increasing performance (more tweaking performance) along the way.

To this end, I am currently researching and thinking through my modifications, while I continue to learn proper driving techniques and the general "feel" of the marvelously capable stock Disco I have now. I currently do some very mild (by probably everyone on this board's standards) wheeling with some friends here in LHC, AZ - I am very new to this slickrock/desert sand terrain we have here - I came from the muddy midwest.

I love the writeup you have done here. As others have asked, I'd love a summary (been through the thread, and realized I needed to go back and take notes - after 120 pages - oops!)

Also, I noticed someone mentioned a writeup of this in your/someone's magazine? Is that available somewhere for purchase as a back issue?

Thanks for the help in advance. And, for the record, even though I'm probably last in line, I'd be interested if you ever sell this gem of a Disco - it is everything I am planning for mine, and so much more! And white to boot! (Although I love my original rover green...)

Thanks
Dustin

Thread hijack....

Hey Dustin, couple of recommendations for you (as it sounds like you're new to the area there), 1) check out the Las Vegas Land Rover Club (www.lrclv.com I think, or google it). 2) go to Hastings book store and pick up a spiral bound book on Arizona 4 wheel drive trails. As you have found there are a lot of places to wheel where you live. I used to live in Laughlin, and worked in Bullhead City. I miss that area (except for during the summers...LOL)

Last edited:

dustin_keib

Sorry to instigate the hijack :oops: and muchos gracias for the info. (no way to start out as a new member!)

Sooooooooo much exploring in the desert to do..Not to mention the basic maintenance to make me feel like the truck is reliable (paranoid in this area)

I will start a new build thread when I get going (sooo much to figure out first) - but here's a pic of my new beauty.

5K65Hf5M23Kc3Ie3H5bct242ba332a64716ad.jpg

/hijack

would like to see more pretty white D1 pics/info though!

zimm

Expedition Leader
You are probably right ;)

I do like the look of the rack on the truck.

I am also seriously considering a move to 235/85 R16 tires. I want to try a taller tire for increased clearance, but also in a really mild tread pattern. Consider it more of testing a theory I have than anything worthy of a recommendation. I am also considering buying another full set of wheels and getting some 7.5 XZLs partly for muddy conditions, but mostly because they will look sweet

Michelin LTZ MS2
LTX+MS2.jpg

had em on the G. keep em out of wet clay and youll be fine. i bet its much more passable tire where youre located.

PETER PETRAKIEV

Adventurer
A few days ago installed a of Qt services 3º Castor corrected radius arms (45mm)
Heavy duty cranked trailing arms.
Also Front Wide Angle Prop Shaft and Rear Wide Angle Prop Shaft.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal