Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

High Center

Adventurer
The way back machine....

"Evaluate change to manual window and door locks"

What ever came of this Scott? I was trying to get a line on doing the manual window switch to my rig but ran into road blocks everywhere. Just wondering if you found any success?

High Center

Adventurer
I couldn't find them stateside and getting them from across the pond was brutal. The closest that I came was via a family member traveling through GB...
It didn't work out needless to say.

I would love to know how you worked it out-

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I was looking into doing this as well, but someone in the UK told me that the actual door is made differently for the manual windows, so to do it, you need the entire set of doors including the interior trim panel from the donor vehicle.

David

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
My '95. But I can pull the panel off of the '97 to see if they are the same.
Honestly it doesn't make sense to me for Rover to go to the expense of making two different doors just to have a manual or electric window. Not that Rover has always made sense to me.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
My '95. But I can pull the panel off of the '97 to see if they are the same.
Honestly it doesn't make sense to me for Rover to go to the expense of making two different doors just to have a manual or electric window. Not that Rover has always made sense to me.

I do remember that when I bought an electric window regulator for my 1995, it was a different part number than the ones for 1996 and up, so there was a change at a certain VIN. I think the earliest Discoveries might have had yet another part number, and that was when manual window versions were most prevalent.

Exploder
Speaking as a long time gun owner I have to say, not really. There are so many magazines now devoted to guns and others with a lot of gun content, I don't really see the need in a magazine devoted to overlanding. Particularly when taking a gun with you across many borders can get you in trouble at worst, or more closely scrutinized at best.

Tom, I have to disagree. There are many gun rags, but very few have the refinement and quality of OJ. Double Gun Journal does, but not many others. I would enjoy seeing the occasional gun article in OJ. I suspect that it wouldn't be a love letter to black plastic. Blued steel and walnut would fit just fine, I think.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Tom, I have to disagree. There are many gun rags, but very few have the refinement and quality of OJ. Double Gun Journal does, but not many others. I would enjoy seeing the occasional gun article in OJ. I suspect that it wouldn't be a love letter to black plastic. Blued steel and walnut would fit just fine, I think.

The question is, what do guns have to do with over landing?

Exploder
The question is, what do guns have to do with over landing?

Food for the pot, recreation, and protection. The law in the given location would apply.

If that's not a good answer, I'll happily defer to this fellow:

OJ does need more gun content

I'd rather not clutter up this thread with what may devolve into a Constitutional debate. If anyone feels strongly enough about this, let's take it to another thread.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I'd rather not clutter up this thread with what may devolve into a Constitutional debate.

Why would it devolve into a Constitutional debate? No one's questioning the legality or rights of gun ownership.

It's just when I consider taking trips overland by vehicle around the world, I've never considered taking firearms with me. Seems like they would be a potential liability more than an aid. Just my view. I suppose you could take an overland trip to go shooting here in the U.S., but I myself have never felt the need to pack up and drive long distances to do that. Hunting trips are another issue, but seem like a separate activity from overlanding which is more associated with exploration and tourism.

With that said, of course you can do anything you want on an overlanding trip, including shooting, . . . or throwing a frisbee. Just wondering why a whole article of an overlanding magazine would be devoted to a gun per se. . .

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I gotta agree with Oryx on this one, I think there is enough gun content in the world. But, I don't want to derail the Disco thread. We could carry this over to the Sportsman's thread if anyone wants to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3