Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

James Pierce

Adventurer
The truck looks great Scott! But I agree it would look even better with the 7.50's. I have an extra set of new take offs on wolf wheels I've been hoarding to put on a white disco of my own some day. I would probably let them go for 1500 if you're interested.

IMG_0167.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
The truck looks great Scott! But I agree it would look even better with the 7.50's. I have an extra set of new take offs on wolf wheels I've been hoarding to put on a white disco of my own some day. I would probably let them go for 1500 if you're interested.

View attachment 89663

James, you are tempting me beyond what I am able. If I wasn't about to leave for essentially two years, it would be a no-brainer.

James Pierce

Adventurer
The little voice of reason is saying buy them. You need something to look forward to when you come home...

2 years is a long time to be away. Where are you going?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
You are probably right ;)

I do like the look of the rack on the truck.

I am also seriously considering a move to 235/85 R16 tires. I want to try a taller tire for increased clearance, but also in a really mild tread pattern. Consider it more of testing a theory I have than anything worthy of a recommendation. I am also considering buying another full set of wheels and getting some 7.5 XZLs partly for muddy conditions, but mostly because they will look sweet

Michelin LTZ MS2
LTX+MS2.jpg

I really like my Michelin LTX AT2, but was considering the MS2 for the next set. They are a really nice quiet tire that I hear unreal longevity reports from. Intrested to see what you think.

2 years, that is going to be one great trip.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, it took nearly 1200 posts, but I finally can add something cogent to this thread . . .

Michelin LTX/MS tires--original and MS2--are, in my experience, competent beyond explanation. They are brilliant on the pavement--wet, dry or snowy--and workable in off-pavement situations where you wouldn't expect bupkis. I've certainly drunk the Kool-Aid; I've put them on five different trucks and set six will soon go onto the Hundred.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Well, it took nearly 1200 posts, but I finally can add something cogent to this thread . . .

Michelin LTX/MS tires--original and MS2--are, in my experience, competent beyond explanation. They are brilliant on the pavement--wet, dry or snowy--and workable in off-pavement situations where you wouldn't expect bupkis. I've certainly drunk the Kool-Aid; I've put them on five different trucks and set six will soon go onto the Hundred.

Ditto... I too drank the LTX/MS and AT Kool-Aid years ago. They are good for 60,000+ miles.
For a decade drove a Ford E350 4x4 Van and put 250K miles on it. Tried many different tires on the van and they all had problems. Switched to LTX/MS and AT on the Van and never had a problem.
All in all, with many different vehicles and trailers have put well over 1/2 milllion miles on LTX tires and have never had any problems, not even a flat.
I have no real brand loyalty to Michelin and would switch to different tire if could find one that worked better.
FWIW I never rotate tires, when rear ones wear out I switch them to front and buy new tires for rear, then replace all 4 next time.
With 40Kmiles on the RV's LTX/MS I'm anxiously waiting for them to wear out so can replace them with larger diameter tires, unfortunately they show little wear.
Currently have LTX/MS on 4 vehicles and 1 trailer. LTX/AT on a Jeep JKU Rubicon and matching wheels on a Bantan T3 Trailer.
The Rubicon is all stock except for a mild tire lift 285/65R18. The AT's work pretty good in the snow and are a lot more quiet and smoother than the OEM tires.
405256_2918699411124_1369941973_3132011_1289989977_n.jpg

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader

Yeah, they suck on ice but wear like iron. Fine on dirt roads. Kind of the ultimate all season tire. I would recommend getting a road hazard warranty on them. I've killed a couple.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
You are probably right ;)

I do like the look of the rack on the truck.

I am also seriously considering a move to 235/85 R16 tires. I want to try a taller tire for increased clearance, but also in a really mild tread pattern. Consider it more of testing a theory I have than anything worthy of a recommendation. I am also considering buying another full set of wheels and getting some 7.5 XZLs partly for muddy conditions, but mostly because they will look sweet

Michelin LTZ MS2
LTX+MS2.jpg

Discovery XD by rupp62, on Flickr
It's hard to make out, but that's the tire I use on my Disco. I also have a set of BFG Muds, but lately I just leave my street tires on. They are so damn nice on the road and do fine off-road.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
It's hard to make out, but that's the tire I use on my Disco. I also have a set of BFG Muds, but lately I just leave my street tires on. They are so damn nice on the road and do fine off-road.

Sweet

I like that they look nearly identical to the stock tire, but are available in a larger diameter.

jrose609

Explorer
I have those Michelins on my wife's LR3. They are very quiet. They provide good handling on wet, snowy, icy, and dry conditions. We have been impressed. I cannot speak to off-road ability because the LR3 is basically a glorified mini-van/mall crawler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal