Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

engineerd

Desk Jockey
I certainly didn't say it couldn't be used in other parts of the world, only that the attributes of the vehicle lend itself well to first world travel, particularly in North America. Powerful (and thirsty) V8, high-speed cruising capability, etc. For the really remote stuff and the developing world, I would prefer a Defender.

That too ;)

In all honesty, any vehicle can be taken anywhere. It's just a matter of preparation, carrying enough spares, carrying the right spares, and how much risk you're willing to take.

Hell, even a Porsche could work...

Thierry-Bosqueau-Porsche-Safari-Rally.jpg

A.J.M

Explorer
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic105526.html

Didn't stop one couple take a manual diesel D3 around the world.
Personally an auto would have been my choice but it's doable, with more and more people understanding the D3 and tr systems along with mobile tools to talk to the car and help sort issues I wouldn't have any concerns about long distance travel.

There is another member driving a G4 D3 around the world as well.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
That too ;)

In all honesty, any vehicle can be taken anywhere. It's just a matter of preparation, carrying enough spares, carrying the right spares, and how much risk you're willing to take.

Hell, even a Porsche could work...

Thierry-Bosqueau-Porsche-Safari-Rally.jpg

Agree. I think it's important to drive what you want to drive and then make it work from there. For me the vehicle is part of the trip too, but I think for most it is just a conveyance.

Scott Brady

Founder
Absolutely. Drive what you like. Going around the world a few times is really not such a big deal, particularly if you stick to the general travel corridors.

I would love to drive around the world again, but in a stock Range Rover

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Scott, I tried searching for this but seems like everything is related to the bumper, can you post up some pictures as to how you handled getting the ARB compressor in the LR4? Where you mounted and how? Maybe I have just missed it and can't find it.

oradba69

Observer
Scott, I tried searching for this but seems like everything is related to the bumper, can you post up some pictures as to how you handled getting the ARB compressor in the LR4? Where you mounted and how? Maybe I have just missed it and can't find it.

Epic had mine installed last week. If you stand in front of the Landy there is space behind the left front headlight. Running it off my 2nd battery. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395297312.995348.jpg

Finlayforprez

Observer
Great Thread!

Scott, this is a great thread - I have finally gone through the whole thing and made some notes (took me a while).

Thanks to everyone for the great details - going to try to keep up as I explore front and rear bumper options.

I am likely going to just go with the ARB front bumper, as I like the classic design. Based on this thread, it looks like the front parking sensors integrate fine and have no issues. I would get a winch with synthetic rope and have a couple driving lights. Can anyone comment on any long-term issues with the ARB on the LR4?

I am still up in the air about the rear bumper. I know the Kaymar is a good choice, but I like the look of the Tactical 4x4 rear bumper for the LR3 - just not sure when it is available for the LR4. Someone in my Land Rover club is going to tackle a rear bumper for a friend with an LR3, so very curious to see how that goes. I like the design and clean fit, but I would want my rear bumper lights cut out and integrated. I may end up doing the Tactical 4x4 rear bumper (when it is available) and have my buddy make me a custon tire/jerry can dual swing away. He has a prototype design that is awesome.

I was going to get the Traxide dual battery kit, but decided I wanted something a bit more portable, so I ended up getting the ArkPak. Next up I want to do some drawers and a fridge.

I am pretty set with sliders and underbody protection (Tactical 4x4 sliders and gas/transfer case skid plates and GN Vehicle Protection skid plate), tires (18" Compomotives with BFGs), and rack (Urban Offroad), but I do have some LED off road lights I still need to install (a few Rigid DUALLYS). Speaking of the Tactical 4x4 rock sliders, for those of you who have them and had to relocate the AMK compressor, did you cover up the end where the compressor is exposed?

Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach