Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Scott! I'm not going to say I'm glad you had a problem but I am very happy that the IIDTool proved itself under fire. :p
Now we need to get you a couple of IIDTool BT's.

This is a pic taken by a user and posted on another board - iPad at night. Slightly overexposed but I think that almost makes it look better than the screenshots we normally take and post. It gives a better sense of what it looks like live.

Cool no?
(we can get geeky-excited about this stuff) :))

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Steve, have you considered how this unit may work in conjunction with the Llams unit that allows for on the fly +/- suspension adjustment? Yours is of course much more in depth whereas the Llams is only suspension height. The benefit of theirs though is simply the dial for up/down based on settings created by user.

About the IID BT version, does the vehicle have to be stopped to choose a suspension preset? I currently have mine set for 1:bottomed out parking garage, 2:slight drop for better highway handling, and 3:+20 for off road. I also use the lowest setting for when stabilizing the vehicle for roof top tripod based photography to reduce the body sway and thus camera motion for long exposures. A quick access to height settings is very useful to me.

Maybe there is a way for your system to have a quick on-the-fly access to the height setting especially through the BT version?

Llams:
"The Llams electronic air suspension height controller allows selection of off-road and high-speed heights at any speed. Sand, tracks and high-crown outback roads can now be driven at either full off-road height or a lesser 30 mm raised height without the normal 50 kph speed restriction then return to on-road height when conditions are suitable. Raised by 30 mm provides improved ride on rough tracks due to more bump-stop clearance. High speed lowered height provides improved on-road handling without the usual high speed requirement and when used with Access mode it provides improved access for young children and the mobility-impaired.

Height options are LOW (either high speed -20 mm or -35 mm selected during calibration), MEDIUM (+30 mm) and HIGH (off-road height) when used in normal height mode. Use of HIGH with Off-road mode provides approximately super-extended mode height which has the usual Off-road mode speed restriction. Extra low special mode can be used on later model vehicles for minimum height to drive under low objects. Extra high special mode is provided to regain Off-road height if the suspension lowers due to an ABS or steering angle fault.

The controller is supplied as a plug-in kit for vehicles fitted with Terrain Response. It contains a controller module, height switch with LED and lead, a special mode switch and lead, a wiring harness with plugs to connect between the vehicle's harnesses and the suspension ecu and a loop-back plug for use if the module is temporarily removed. Whilst the module is not tied to a particular vehicle, it must be calibrated to a vehicle before use due to the various implementations of the suspension system even in same vehicle models."

umbertob

Adventurer
I have both, Llams and IIDTool BT. Honestly, for quick suspensions adjustments while driving, the simplicity of the Llams controller is hard to beat. Even if a diagnostic module like IIDTool eventually allowed you to adjust height with the vehicle moving, you would still need to leave the main unit plugged into the OBD port (which would get in the way of my leg), then open up the app on your smartphone, go to the screen that allows you to pick your saved suspensions profiles and select the profile you want. I'd rather stop for a minute than attempting that feat while barreling down a trail... :) With the Llams, you just flip a switch on the steering column (at least that's where I mounted it on my LR4) one or two clicks and, regardless of vehicle speed, 10 seconds later the four corners go up 30 or 50mm, down 20mm or back to stock height. The Llams is a one-trick pony compared to a full blown diagnostic module such as the IIDTool, but it does that one trick really well.

Just about the only issues I've had with the Llams is that the harness connectors between its controller and the factory EAS module are super sensitive and can start throwing random suspensions faults if the male connectors dislodge just a hair from their receiving ends - I tightened some zip ties around the connectors to prevent that from happening again. Also, for diagnostics / troubleshooting / calibration purposes, the Llams must be disconnected - the manufacturer provides a null / loopback plug for that reason, so you don't have to disconnect the whole harness, but it's still a bit of a hassle - since diagnostic programs will be unable to read any sort of stable or reliable values from the factory EAS module whenever the Llams unit is connected.

Last edited:

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
I don't want to go to far off on a tangent and hijack this thread, so if we continue discussion, we can go over to the GAP product announcement thread.
Quick answer: we are planning a special off-road functions module. This will allow various things such as manually controlling components critical for off-road driving and - possibly - making something like the Llams superfluous. More soon, hopefully. We have to get the IIDTool Pro on its way...

Scott Brady

Founder
Took the LR4 out to stretch the legs a bit.
1618281_10152644046098275_1831249914_o.jpg

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Scott Brady

I just read the whole topic and I shell say I am very impressed!
You have pushed the limits of LR by turning it into a serious expedition car.
My family had the same Disco I 15 years ago and it still resides in my heart. I am big fan of land rover.
I have question if you don't mind; what is your overall opinion (based upon your experience) about the reliability and quality of the car?

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott:

Since you have clearly been taking the LR4 off-road lately. Can you give us an update on the Falken WildPeak tire performance?

Excellent adhesion on dry rock. Smooth and quiet on the highway. fast wearing. The compound on this tire is particularly aggressive, providing class-leading dry rock adhesion and micro-keying - downside of that is a short tread life.

Good tire for the desert southwest, Moab, etc.

jhawk

Adventurer
Excellent adhesion on dry rock. Smooth and quiet on the highway. fast wearing. The compound on this tire is particularly aggressive, providing class-leading dry rock adhesion and micro-keying - downside of that is a short tread life.

Good tire for the desert southwest, Moab, etc.

I praised these tires when I first got them for my LR3. Within 7,000 miles I went through 3 tires. Two with side wall damage, one a rock through the tread. They performed great, but even with the Discount Tire warranty were costing me and I lost confidence in them. I switched to Cooper ATPs. No complaints so far.

Jim

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Scott, how are you liking/disliking the K9 rack? I'm talking to Paul about a possible application for my trooper, but it's one of several options. Feel free to PM me, if you like.

I'm looking for a bulletproof, buy once/cry once setup and the Slimline II is also a possible option. I need the room for either a rooftent, a thule box, or the assorted building materials mrs. Bigdaddy often has me carrying, so I like the flexibility a flatrack provides.

Thanks.

engineerd

Desk Jockey
I started reading this thread and, combined with a good friend's constant prattling on about his truck, I think I'm getting the Land Rover bug. 99% of my driving is to and from work on Detroit's pot-holed, Fallujah-like streets. Having something that offers a sense of comfort, but is still more than capable for my overland/adventure driving trips a few times a year is becoming more and more important to me. Plus, LR3s with relatively low miles are getting into the scary affordable range.

One quick question now that you've had some time with it. I noticed you put the ARB bumper on it as one of the first things you did. It looks great, but they also tend to be pretty heavy. If you had to do it over again, would you still put the ARB bumper on the front or would you do one of the hidden winch setups?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk