Overland TJ's (Ideas, Pic's, etc for 97-06 Jeep TJ's)

stretch2121

Trailer Pic III.jpg

Trailer pic II.JPG

New to the show, just had to throw my new trailer in the mix :) Just came back from a shake down trip to DV. Aired down she ran sweet...it was awesome getting way back in the boonies, on some pretty sporty trails and taking everything I wanted / needed including plenty of firewood and keeping my Jeep interior reserved for off road gear.

For me a trailer made sense, built it myself and cost less than a darn roof rack...those things are pricey! Trailer is very light, but built tough with a beefy frame and axle that I can drag over rocks...I don't even know its back there heading down the road. I put a 2" receiver on the back of the trailer and can mount a standard car hitch rack if more storage is needed (or a bike rack). One mistake is the wheel lug pattern does not match the rig, so I have to carry a trailer spare (laying flat inside the trailer). Also, I dig the T&G wood siding, but not a good choice for a wet climate as the T&G seams did not seal completely. I live in SoCal so this was not a big deal, along with a lid as this just adds more weight and prevents loading gear above the rim.

Kept the cost down with refurbished junk yard rims ($20 / ea) and used tires with plenty of tread from a tire store ($30 / ea).

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
View attachment 336556

View attachment 336563

New to the show, just had to throw my new trailer in the mix :) Just came back from a shake down trip to DV. Aired down she ran sweet...it was awesome getting way back in the boonies, on some pretty sporty trails and taking everything I wanted / needed including plenty of firewood and keeping my Jeep interior reserved for off road gear.

For me a trailer made sense, built it myself and cost less than a darn roof rack...those things are pricey! Trailer is very light, but built tough with a beefy frame and axle that I can drag over rocks...I don't even know its back there heading down the road. I put a 2" receiver on the back of the trailer and can mount a standard car hitch rack if more storage is needed (or a bike rack). One mistake is the wheel lug pattern does not match the rig, so I have to carry a trailer spare (laying flat inside the trailer). Also, I dig the T&G wood siding, but not a good choice for a wet climate as the T&G seams did not seal completely. I live in SoCal so this was not a big deal, along with a lid as this just adds more weight and prevents loading gear above the rim.

Kept the cost down with refurbished junk yard rims ($20 / ea) and used tires with plenty of tread from a tire store ($30 / ea).

I think a trailer is the best option for more space as long as it will fit were you want it to go. Yours is a good size and looks great.

wagex

Adventurer
+1 on trailer!
10377014_10156487159670537_7877217390480428801_n.jpg
holds alot more than i could fit in my tj with the back seat in. plus it holds my kayaks. it started out as a harbor freight trailer, now only thing that is original is the rectangle frame and the springs. lol. new tongue, new axle, new wheels.

Last edited:

JustinHonan

Trailer your extra gear

PA040023.jpg

If you have the space to store one, a trailer is a great option. Have the extra room when you need it and leave it behind when you don't. I picked up an old Army M 416 1/4 ton trailer and did a quick resto job on it. It is a great addition to my Jeep for long travel adventure.

elistwrt

Observer
e82a1fc8d61b3abdf8dffd42f4920d57.jpg

Here's my TJ taking a break while doing a little post storm surveying at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Great topic! TJs don't get much love for the lack of space but for two I think they are great..... I'm also building a trailer though LOL

image.jpg

I'm in the process of adding a little more storage space to my TJ: A good friend of mine had a LJ tub that he was going to use on an aborted project, so I bought it from him. It was used by a parts supplier to Jeep for testing, and was never primed, painted, or bolted to a frame. I figured since I was starting from scratch I would make a few changes along the way. I decided to strwtch the wheelbase so I would end up with the same overhang as a stock TJ. I ordered Crusher corners from Poison Spyder with the wheel well moved back and cut the wheel wells out on the tub further back. With the extra length I decided to run a doubler between the trans and the transfer case. The doubler uses a stock NV 241 planetary gear giving me a 2.72 to one low range. After thinking about the gearing options I decided a Rubicon 241OR with the 4 to one low would be a great option, non I can run 1 to 1, 2.72 to 1 (Doubler in low TC in High), 4 to 1 (Doubler in high TC in low) or 10.88 to 1 (Doubler and TYC in low) My TJ is already running Rubicon 44s with Alloy axles, 4.88 to one gears, and front lockout hubs. While I'm doing the swap I am also going to swap the 4.0 for a 5.9 Magnum and bolt it to the AX-15 trans. I should end up with plenty of power and gearing options. While the axles are out I am going to sleeve the tubes with a kit I bought and upgrade the brakes to Vancos. The pics below are where I'm at so far...

When I stretched the frame I also cut off the side body mounts and relocated them 1 1/4" higher on the frame as I am running a 1 1/4" BL on my current TJ to clear the flat skidplate. This way I don't need spacers, and the mounts are higher up off the ground. I also welded in Ford shock mounts frenched into the rear frame to outboard mount the rear shocks and raise the lower shock mount above the centerline of the frame for laee things to drag and hang up on

What is the brand and size of the rims on your TJ? Thanks.

Pietstrap

Overland TJ's

Hi All from the middle of Africa.
Thought I will share some pics of my "overland TJ". In a place with Land Cruisers around every corner it's quite rare, Oh I have a Cruiser 105 and 6 Series 79 Cruiser pickups as well, they don't stack up to the Jeep. Oh everything in camp fit in and on top of the TJ. Inside the tent is 2 BIG camp beds and a 4 tier canvas cupboard, the fridge/freezer in the back is a 80 lt Waeco
We used to tour with bikes, wife got sick and could not ride anymore, TJ replaced the bike, strictly 2 seater.
IMG_1939.jpgIMG_1953.jpgIMG_2406.jpgIMG_2410.jpgIMG_2409.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok, a little impressive to see a rihno next to a tent like that. Thought they were more agressive. Is it like here in bear country, do not bring any toothpaste and food smell in the tent! Lol

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Ok, a little impressive to see a rihno next to a tent like that. Thought they were more agressive. Is it like here in bear country, do not bring any toothpaste and food smell in the tent! Lol

I was thinking the same thing lol!

I like the camo fenders too

Pietstrap

Hi.
The black rhino is the dangerous one, white rhino is fairly placid, just don't get between the calf and the mother, they mainly graze grass and leaves, don't really bother us. Thanks on the fenders, it's just a wrap to help with the branches in the bush damaging the paint on the fenders sticking out like that.

The only problem we have down here is not having all the nice accessories for the Jeeps that you guys have, I look at what you guys do and make it myself. I still need to replace the 2 side windows and rear window with aluminum, side windows will get hinges at the top to open. Inside the doors I will then put a cupboard that fit inside the rear roll bar frame, level with the inside of the frame. The left side will be for plates, cups, cutlery etc, the right side will have the recovery equipment inside.

On the fridge slide I put the runners under the tray for the fridge, that make the whole fridge slide about 2" narrower, leaving and extra 2" on the left side for drawer width. There I have three drawers, one the height of beer cans, one the height of canned food, and the bottom one the height of condiment bottles. The top drawer also have some 2" PVC pipes cut the height of the drawer, spice bottles for inside there so they can't break or fall around.

I had an off-road camp trailer before, bit of a ***** in tight places and in the deserts, every thing from the trailer fit in the Jeep.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The only problem we have down here is not having all the nice accessories for the Jeeps that you guys have, I look at what you guys do and make it myself. I still need to replace the 2 side windows and rear window with aluminum, side windows will get hinges at the top to open. Inside the doors I will then put a cupboard that fit inside the rear roll bar frame, level with the inside of the frame. The left side will be for plates, cups, cutlery etc, the right side will have the recovery equipment inside.

On the fridge slide I put the runners under the tray for the fridge, that make the whole fridge slide about 2" narrower, leaving and extra 2" on the left side for drawer width. There I have three drawers, one the height of beer cans, one the height of canned food, and the bottom one the height of condiment bottles. The top drawer also have some 2" PVC pipes cut the height of the drawer, spice bottles for inside there so they can't break or fall around.

I had an off-road camp trailer before, bit of a ***** in tight places and in the deserts, every thing from the trailer fit in the Jeep.

Well I have to say that you have done really well with what you have. Would have to argue that your TJ seems "overland functional" than mine as it sits, really good work!

98SAHARA

I did a quick search and didn’t really find a section based directly towards Jeep TJ’s. So, being a firm believer that the TJ can make a great overland rig, I thought maybe a thread should be started. Here we can post pics of our 97-06 Tj’s, discuss storage ideas, share Tj specific mods, etc.

If this has been done before, then I apologize. If not, this thread I am sure will get some attention.

I will start it off with some pics of my 2006 Golden Eagle. Still in the building stages, but my “heep” gets me out and about where I want to go.

Right now I am going around in circles in regards to rear storage. I have a family of 5, so when the Jeep is not being used for my son and I's adventures into the back of beyond, I have got to be able to have the back seat in. Removable light rear storage is the current project taking place. I will post pics of the progress soon.

WHAT BRAND ROOF RACK IS THIS IT LOOKS GREAT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3