Overland XJs Unite!

KelticXJ

So what gearing do you guys suggest for 33 inch tires? I've heard both 4.10 and 4.56.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4.56 will bring you back to about stock power. I'm personally going with 4.88's but I'm in the Rockies and will need them when I'm loaded down. I've heard of some people having trouble with the 4.88's in the D30 but I think it will be fine for my intended use.

xjoverland99

I'm in NM, so I am higher in elevation. I wasn't sure if that affected anything. I thought I knew what I needed but after hours of reading conflicting information online, I feel like a noob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

screwball48

Explorer
Its not so much the elevation that has an impact on gearing, but how frequent you experience an increase in elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xjoverland99

I reside at 6000 feet and regularly to to 9-11k. I guess I never really thought about elevation and my engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibanezer

Adventurer
So what gearing do you guys suggest for 33 inch tires? I've heard both 4.10 and 4.56.

I just got my lift and tires on recently and am also looking into re-gearing mine. Do you know what kind of fuel mileage to expect with either of these gear ratios?

xjoverland99

There are too many variables to be able to hunt down an actual mpg for a gear change. Sorry man.

F40

Adventurer
Can we discuss how inadequate stock rear bumper mounts are for aftermarket bumpers. Granted I've had mine on for 10+ years, with a spare and hi-lift on it. Those stock 8 bolts aren't enough... Especially if you use the bumper as a recovery point. A receiver hitch or a bumper that mounts like one really is your best bet. The rear header panel that it bolts to, is spot welded to the c-channels of the unibody, your shackle mounts also attach to the header panel. Once everything starts to fatigue and crack, it gets ugly!

This was how I "fixed" it. 2x4 box tube slid into the unibody, with nut strips welded in. 4 M12x1.75 bolts in the trailer hitch holes, and one M10x1.5 bolt, per side. With a sandwich plate on the bottom side.

00A575CF-ED19-4168-B39C-7DCE2A2D53AA_zpskflogfc4.jpg

43D51B29-93B2-43C7-B5EF-23A1C82F51A7_zpseyac1iki.jpg

DF55A560-5D7B-4347-BEE3-B2DFAC2850A0_zps3y4nrsbs.jpg

Johnainny

Observer
My 98 XJ

6 1/2 long arm, 4.56 front and rear lockers. 33x12.50x15 full skid plates on gas tank, rear quater panels:smiley_drive:

Attachments

• 20150608_141828.jpg
    20150608_141828.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 45

boykinjw

1999 Cherokee Sport Expedition Build In Progress

Picked up my XJ for $1500 with 170k on the clock. The previous owner ran the rear diff out of oil and he installed some awful helper shocks in the back. I installed a stock ratio Yukon Ring and Pinion with a bearing kit and it cleared up the noise, I just hope the limited slip is OK. Im not really sure how to tell other than visual inspection...I also picked up an OME medium duty kit with a JKS adjustable trackbar and quick disconnects (Thanks to DPG). I installed some ARB diff covers and an Aussie up front in the d30 to complement the rear 8.25 LSD. I have an ARB front bull bar waiting for a winch before I install it, open to any recommendations on winches that work well with the bumper. And I mounted some Cooper ST MAXX 245/75/16 which of course don't fit in the stock location so I threw the spare up top until I find a rear tire carrier.

Future plans are upgraded injectors, probably neon, and an upgraded ignition kit from kolak. SYE is high on the list as well as some new adjustable control arms, I can't believe how paper thin the stock uppers are. Im having some issues with the AC blowing cold and my pressures look correct so I'm thinking there is a blend door issue. Oh and a proper rain gutter mounted roof basket and/or RTT. I moved to this vehicle from a TJ because I wanted more comfort and storage with the ability to go on road trips and still get through the trails. The XJ has delivered in every capacity, I love it. This is from a recent trip to Hatteras, NC.

I'm in Charleston SC and get out in the Francis Marion Forest to find some trails, I'd love to go to some Overland events, if there are any on the East Coast please let me know.

IMG_2890.JPG

hpierce301

Adventurer
i haven't contributed in a little while, so i'd thought i'd share this pic, at Freeman Park, Carolina Beach NC last weekend.

jeep 4.jpg

boykinjw

Thanks, it was kind of like buying an old house with nasty carpet and finding out there is nice hardwood underneath. It was filthy, had an exhaust leak and was leaking oil from all the normal places. I had to repair the front driver seat frame, detail it inside and out, change the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gasket, RMS, and install a new exhaust manifold. I figure I would have had to do most of those things with any XJ I found. So after putting $500 in the rear end and all of the gaskets I think I still got a pretty good deal, interior is like new as well - after a couple good cleanings.

ibanezer

Adventurer
Thanks, it was kind of like buying an old house with nasty carpet and finding out there is nice hardwood underneath. It was filthy, had an exhaust leak and was leaking oil from all the normal places. I had to repair the front driver seat frame, detail it inside and out, change the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter gasket, RMS, and install a new exhaust manifold. I figure I would have had to do most of those things with any XJ I found. So after putting $500 in the rear end and all of the gaskets I think I still got a pretty good deal, interior is like new as well - after a couple good cleanings.

Very nice, I've always liked that color. As far as overland events, Overland Expo East is in North Carolina in October I believe. I've not been but it looks like it would be a great event to attend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3