Pan Americaners

Tress

Adventurer
metapoint said:
I sent an email through your website offering a place to park and dinner if you're route comes through Phoenix. I'm bailing next year for a similar trip and enjoy learning from and about travelers doing the long haul.
Ya Jess said she wrote earlier, we would love to get up and give you any info we have, and good people and a place to park is always great. Right now we are pretty comfortable sleeping just about anywhere, but we have also been in the sticks for a while now and im sure its going to be a shock when we get back into the the states, we haven't even been harassed yet
:gunt:
Anyways thanks for the invite ans we'll be in touch...

Quixote

Observer
Sounds like you have a great trip planned!

How good is your Spanish - it comes in pretty handy down south. There is a wonderful language school in Oaxaca I can recommend if you are interested.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, and safe travels!

Tress

Adventurer
Quixote said:
Sounds like you have a great trip planned!

How good is your Spanish - it comes in pretty handy down south. There is a wonderful language school in Oaxaca I can recommend if you are interested.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, and safe travels!

Hey Man,
Thanks, im not sure we'll have time to do any language course as we have to be in Nica by Dec which only leaves us about a month and a half to explore everything between AZ and there, which is a lot! However we do have Rosetta Stone version 1 & 2 & 3 so hopefully that will help. We have both taken clases in HS and spent time in the region so we have some background but as of right now our Spanish is terrible! But thanks for the advice and im sure we will learn a lot once we have no option Ehh! Either way have you driven the area? We are always looking for people knowledgable about driving thru cuz there are just way too many opinions from so many people who have never. In any event thanks again and hopefully we can talk some more, take care and enjoy the ride.

Tress

Adventurer
Just an update

Hey A-One,
Just wanted to check in and say hey. Things are still moving along here, just got out of Canada yesterday; alas our first search, friking annoying *** USA border guards can ruin the best of days. But we figure we should get used to miserable border crossings so it was a good exerience.

Now we are visiting some of Jess's fam in Arlington, WA where our headers were supposed to have been about a week ago. For those of you who have not heard, our drivers side header has a substantial hole in it, and has for the past month or so, and as you can imagine with a 460c/in engine its not a quiet problem LOL! So after a few weeks of bugging some friends about what to do and how to do it we found the mistery headers and tracked down the last set; which by the way has been discontinued by Thorley and we were lucky enough to find the last pair. So we ordered them through Summit because they had the best price, what happened from there was the most pathetic diplay of customer service that i have ever experienced. I will spare you my anger but let me just say that Summit Racing is the worst company i have ever worked with and i fear ever having to use them again! And will only do so if have absolutely no other choice, i cant tell you how mad they have made me.

SO ya, right now we are trying to track down the headers and find a place to replace them. Once we figure that out we're headed south, possibly along the West Coast or the Sierra Nevada's, not sure yet. We have a camp site on the cliff's just North of San Diego late Oct and will cross into Mex a week or so after that.

The trip has been everything we imagined and more. We have seen so much and enjoyed so many moments of pure happiness that only an open road could create. Anyways i hope all is well with you all and wish everyone exciting and safe travels, please feel free to shoot us an email with questions or to just say hey. Otherwise check out our website www.panamericanjourney.com for pics and journaling or this link http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0kqiFTiqLfsXpoIaR7Flb12lH1y8CXR6M for where we are or have been in the past week. Othewise take care and enjoy the ride.
Troy & Jess

Quixote

Observer
Tress said:
Hey Man,
Either way have you driven the area? We are always looking for people knowledgable about driving thru cuz there are just way too many opinions from so many people who have never. In any event thanks again and hopefully we can talk some more, take care and enjoy the ride.

We have made our way down Central America and are currenly in Peru. A month and a half is a very speedy trip through all those countries, so I can see why you can't spend time at a language school!

We liked Mexico the best - Nicaragua and Honduras were cheap but we did not find them interesting as Mexico. Guatemala was interesting but we felt a palpable danger while there.

Many people have had trouble with the Mexican cops, I guess we got lucky because they were always very polite with us. The toll roads in Mexico are EXPENSIVE, when we spent the same amount on tolls as on gas, we decided it was time to take the 'via libre'. You see much more on the via libre, anyway.

Have a great trip down!

Shreesh Taskar

Tress

Adventurer
Hey Man,
Well thanks so much for the info, its always good to hear from people who have actually done what we are planning to. Unfortuntely we had planned to have more time in the area but hopefully we can squeez in a good deal with the time we have. We do plan to be in Nica for around 7 or 8 months so perhaps we can take some time while we are there to explore Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala cuz i think we'll defintely need a good deal of time to do Mex and Belize. Either way, how was your experience shipping to S. America, did you roro? Air freight? Container? Colombia? or Equador? FOr us at the moment that is our most feared part of the journey. Oh and when did you do this trip and what were gas prices like? So sorry for the barage of questions but as we near the border we are getting more and more anxious about what is on the other side. In any event hope all is well with you and your trip, sounds like a great one, and until next time enjoy the time and thanks again!
MadHouse iNc.

:sombrero:

Quixote

Observer
Tress said:
Hey Man,
Well thanks so much for the info, its always good to hear from people who have actually done what we are planning to. Unfortuntely we had planned to have more time in the area but hopefully we can squeez in a good deal with the time we have. We do plan to be in Nica for around 7 or 8 months so perhaps we can take some time while we are there to explore Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala cuz i think we'll defintely need a good deal of time to do Mex and Belize. Either way, how was your experience shipping to S. America, did you roro? Air freight? Container? Colombia? or Equador? FOr us at the moment that is our most feared part of the journey. Oh and when did you do this trip and what were gas prices like? So sorry for the barage of questions but as we near the border we are getting more and more anxious about what is on the other side. In any event hope all is well with you and your trip, sounds like a great one, and until next time enjoy the time and thanks again!
MadHouse iNc.

We drove through Central America early part of this year. Shipping to South America was fraught with hassle and delay, but at least it was expensive! We lucked out with our shipping agent, Evelyn Batista of Barwil shipping, who made the complicated process understandable. Our cost was about $1100 to ship the cruiser in a container from Colon to Cartegena. If you do decide to do it patience is key.

Gas prices in Mexico were cheaper than California. Nicaragua was kinda expensive as I recall, with Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Honduras somewhere between. Gas in Ecuador was INSANELY cheap - $1.99 for premum.

No need to get anxious about South of the border - most countries have been reasonably safe. So far.

Cheers and safe travels!

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Tress,

I can´t help you with anything north of Ecuador except Baja and a bit of central Mexico.

Shipping:
Everyone I´ve interviewed or talked to who used Evelyn raved about her service, so I would have to say she is your best option. Strangly, she has not returned any of my emails to her, so I cannot provide any personal input.

Anything to do with shipping requires a lot of patience, so it is best to not be time constrained for that chapter of the trip.

I put up a thread on shipping here that will give you some basics http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11041

Here´s some resources http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18038

Having a good shipping agent is key.

Language:
For Spanish, don´t get too worried about it. I´ve been all over the world with not much more than learning how to say hello, thank you, and "where is the bathroom." I know about 23 words of Spanish and I´ve been able to accomplish everything we´ve needed so far.

I suggest the following as essentials:
  1. hello
  2. good morning/afternoon/evening
  3. thank you
  4. please
  5. where is
  6. what?
  7. what is the cost
  8. how do you say X in Spanish
  9. count to twenty
  10. know how to say the year
  11. today
  12. yesterday
  13. tomorrow
  14. week
  15. month
  16. year
  17. truck
  18. common repair parts (tires, belts, headlights, etc.)
  19. electricity
  20. water
  21. fuel
  22. I need
  23. do you have X
  24. we
  25. my wife
  26. child
  27. boy
  28. girl
  29. man
  30. woman
  31. with
  32. without

In my experience, it is more important to understand a country´s customs and values than its language.

Always remember you are a guest. Act like one.

Transactions:
When you go to the Ferreteria (hardware store) or Mercado (market) or SuperMercado (supermarket) and buy something the clerk will ask you "¿Boleto o factura?" You will reply "Boleto." A factura is an official receipt used for tax purposes. A boleto is a regular receipt.

If you purchase with a credit card, the clerk will ask you "¿Quantos cuotas?" (number of cuotas). You will reply "sin cuotas" (without cuotas). Cuotas is the opportunity to spread your purchase over multiple months, in other words, if you buy $100 worth of groceries and asked for quatro cuotas, your credit card statement would show a charge of $25 for each of the next four months.

Although credit cards are ubiquitous in market towns and cities at the retail level, wholesale and business to business commerce is still in the 19th century. If you need to get something shipped in and pay customs duties or purchase something outside of retail channels, you will need to make a deposit into the selling party´s bank account. They will phone/fax/email you their account number and bank name. You will find a branch of that bank, fill out a deposit slip and make a CASH deposit into that account. Make CERTAIN to retain a copy of the deposit receipt.

Countries
Ecuador is denominated in U.S. dollars, so you can restock on U.S. cash here if you need to. Prices are low. You can eat a meal in a restaurant for $2-3. You can buy a nice home for $10-30k. Electricy is 110VAC/60Hz. People are very nice, industrious, the country has a good, focused vibe, it´s on a mission with a purpose.

Peru is less expensive than Ecuador, by just a little. Electricy is 220VAC/50Hz, like every other country south of there. Peru is less developed than Ecuador, and much, much larger. We spent 3 months there and wished we had more time. People are beautiful in every aspect. Very peaceful spirit, especially in the rural areas. Do everything you can to get off the Gringo trail and into the non-tourist areas. When you cross the border from Ecuador you will say goodbye to green until you get down to about Santiago, Chile.

Chile is very, very expensive. This is mitigated somewhat right now by the plumeting value of the Chilean peso. YMMV by the time you get there. When we were there earlier this year, prices were equal to the U.S. or Europe. Chile is one of the least corrupt countries in the world, so no worries there. Most police have college degrees. Governent workers are professional and generaly effecient. You have to wonder how the country would do if they could throw off the suffocating layers of bureacrocy that choke the economy. The glacial pace of retail processes will frustrate you. You will experience things that will make you think you are back in the U.S.S.R. of the 1970s, e.g., stand in one line to get a ticket so you can stand in another line to get your item then stand in another line to pay. Avoid conversations about the War of the Pacific or Argentina (see comment below). Chile is the most light-wave wired country in the world. Internet speeds are lightning fast everywhere, even the most remote village.

Argentina is less expensive than Chile. Pretty affordable. A little ragged around the edges in some respects from their financial collapse, but the country is picking itself up off the mat. Avoid any conversations about the Falklands/Malvinas. Avoid any conversations about Chile (lots of rivalry, most of which you will probably think to be a little silly). Say goodbye to the internet when you enter Argentine Patagonia. You will think you died and went to Internet Hell. Don´t even bother with it when you are in the interior parts of Patagonia, it´s nothing but frustrating. As in an ENTIRE day, cafe opening to closing, to attempt to make a single blog post.

Fuel Prices:
Diesel is about $1 a gallon in Ecuador, gasoline is a little more expensive. Also very cheap in Venezuala. Standard world pricing in other countries, i.e. $4 to $5+ a gallon. Yes, that is correct. North America has enjoyed artifically low fuel prices for many generations.

You can purchase fuel with credit cards just about everywhere except remote towns and a couple of places in interior Patagonia.

Fuel range is an issue in Patagonia, as are fuel shortages. You may need to wait a day or two for the fuel delivery truck to arrive at a station if you have limited range.

ATM:
Available in all market towns and cities. No worries.

Parts and repair:
Available essentially everywhere if you are driving a normal vehicle.

Professionism:
High. South America is not Africa or Central Asia.

Development:
Chile and Argentina are fully developed. Due to the situation and specific warnings by people I know and respect, we did not go to Bolivia yet. I understand it to be the least developed country in SA. The small villages and rural areas of Peru are currently receiving electricity, water and sewer, or have in the last few years. In market towns and cities you will often think you are in Southern California, meaning it looks a lot like home but the signs are in Spanish. Ecuador is more developed than Peru.

Corruption:
We have made so many border crossings down here I could not begin to count them. We have dealt with customs and immigration officials to obtain visa and importation extensions. We have passed through countless police and military checkpoints. We have interacted with hundreds, if not thousands, of police, military and government workers. Out of all of those hundreds to thousands, I had one policeman ask me for some money for "bebidas" (drinks) in a very remote village in highland Peru. I turned him down.

I have interviewed or talked with at least three dozen other overlanders and have yet to hear of any major or systematic corruption, and that includes the shipping and importation of almost every one of those vehicles.

We just passed through a border crossing that is renowned as the worst in this part of the world. All we had was people offering to open an office on a Sunday to process our paperwork, spend hours on the phone tracking down the right people to answer questions, etc. The service was professional, friendly, and, in many respects, over the top and well beyond the call of duty.

Security
No issues for us. None for any of the other overlanders, including two single girls traveling alone on motorcycles.

Don´t leave things out. Never walk away from an unlocked compartment or door.

Don´t be stupid and you will be OK.

Weather:
There are two primary weather windows you will contend with in SA.

1) Winter in Patagonia. January and February are the primary vacation months here, so Patagonia is crowded then. Shoulder months are optimum. You need to be at Puerto Montt´s lattitude by arourd 1 April. Of course, we were late.

2) Rain in the Pantenal, the altiplano of Bolivia and the Andean highlands. These areas are essentially impassible in the rainy season.

Propane:
If you are using Propane/LP/GLP/Gas Propano see this thread: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15406

Bien Viaje,
Doug

Last edited:

Tress

Adventurer
Hey Aone,
Just wanted to give you all a quick update on our adventures, we are finally south of the US border and so far so great! Sucked down a couple of Margaritas and fish tacos overlooking the ocean just as soon as we found a campground, and are now hanging in the van. We are in a town called San Carlos which is just northwest of Guaymas, basically on the Sea of Cortez coast about 300 miles south from Nogales. The ride down was nice and easy, we were super stressed about crossing the border cuz there have been endless reports of very serious violence in the border region; assassinations and cops being killed ect, but once we made our way through the streets of Nogales it was smooth sailing. From here we leev pretty early tomorrow and will head for Mazatlan where we will spend a few days before heading for Guadalajara and then down to the Pacific coastal beaches. The jounrey so far, amazing, we have seen so much and met a lot of interesting and very kind folks, while there have been a good deal of van issues we just realized today that with those problems have come some of our most interesting stories and friends that we will forever keep in touch with and remember. So overall everything has gone great and we are so excited to finally be here in Mex, its a completely different experience than that of the US. So anyways in case you haven't seen it yet check out our website at www.panamericanjourney.com for pics and a lot more. Hope all is well with aone, enjoy the ride and thanks for all of your help and support.
Mahouse inC

Tress

Adventurer
So after our night in in San Carlos we did a long days drive to Mazatlan and landed on a RV resort a few step from the beach, the drive down was a lil stressful, a lot more check points and no more "hassle free zone", whatever that meant! On this leg we encountered our first attempted bribe, in some lil town we came into we passed a local cop car and soon after pulled into a gas station. TO my surprise the cop car pulled in behind us and then in front of us and started waiving at me to come over, mean while i had about 6 guys bugging me to clean our window and everything else while the gas attendant was spitting spanish at me about filling up, a frenzied scene to say the least. I told the gas attendant dos tanks and hand gestured my way through that, told the window cleaners no gracias which never works and then went to see what the cop wanted. Well the cop says i went through a stop sign, i said where (in spanish; Donde) and he points to the beginning of town. SO i walked away over the road looked back toward where he pointed and said donde? meanwhile there were a bunch of cars just flying along and clearly if their was a stop sign no one else could see it either. Low and behold as soon as i said donde and watched everyone else fly right through town and he drove away without another word. So i went back to the van, paid the attendant; 150$ to fill both tanks! My window was now nice an clean but i dint pay because i had said no to begin with and we got back on the road. Mazatlan was great, we hooked up with a couple from Canada that was staying at a resort right nex to our campground, we ended up staying with them for 3 days drinking and partying with there fam that came the following day. The first night in Mazatlan we drove down town which was only a few miles, had dinner and a drink or two. As soon as we got back on the road to head back to the hotel bam blu lights, i asked the cop what i did and he said seat belt; there was no way he saw that until he got to my door but he had something. he took my license and said i could pay the fine at the police station the following day and get my license back then. At this point the two Canadians in the back were prolly pretty scared and passed 40$ forward, so i pleaded with the cop to let me pay him then and he "reluctantly" grabbed the money and let us go. So that was our first rip off and overall it was pretty easy, but frustrating!
So ya our time in Mazatlan consisted of a really really nice stay at "Costa Bonita", we drank a lot and did a lot of swimming. Now we are in Gudalajara and have been for a few days, we ended up staying in a parking garage which was fairly secure, its been a really nice visit and we are now headed out. Sorry for the hurried update but time is short and destination unknown, hope all is well with aone else, we;ll hit you agin just as soon as possible, until then enjoy the time
Madhouse inC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater