Petersons Ultimate Adventure Tundra

01tundra

Explorer
I'm crossing my fingers that it's in the Northeast this year, I've always wanted to go exploring up that direction.

Rusty-Ford

Observer
so how is your engine holding up to all the abuse it is put through with the 4 wheeling and big tires and such. Is it up to par or is there some upgrades in the future. I know its got to be a decent engine but just wondering if it fills your needs.
Seems you have replaced like everything else possible and didn't know if this was next! haha

Then again if it aint broke...

01tundra

Explorer
Nope, the engine is perfect. I'm actually very easy on my rig and with the 4-speed Atlas, power's the least of my worries.

01tundra

Explorer
Finally got my rock lights installed, end up going with LiteSPOT's from Off Road Only. Each light has 18 LED's and they only pull 0.1 amps per light. Pictures really don't do them justice since my camera wasn't wanting to cooperate with taking pictures in the dark without the flash on. I was on a night run a few weeks ago and was wishing I had these, I have a few more coming up so I will get to try them out soon hopefully. These lights are easy to install since they have a strong magnet in-bedded in them, they are also supplied with a self-tapping screw if you would rather mount them with that (there's a hole in through the middle of the light for the screw. I have ten lights installed. I wanted these for both trail spotting purposes and as some extra light around camp, I wired them through a wireless controller so I can turn them on from our tentcot if someone needs some light.

rl5.jpg

rl6.jpg

rl4.jpg

rl3.jpg

rl2.jpg

rl1.jpg

dyogim

Explorer
Nice!!!

To get a better motionless picture without flash, increase the exposure, use a tripod and take the picture with the timer.

01tundra

Explorer
Had a great trail ride over the weekend in Tracy City at the Damn Locals Memorial Day Bash.

Playing in the sand pit -

md1.jpg

md7.jpg

Getting denied on a choppy climb -

md2.jpg

md3.jpg

md8.jpg

Running the Bunny Trail -

md9.jpg

md4.jpg

md5.jpg

md6.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Gotta love east coast slick rocks.... Nice pics and a sweet ride! Where was the place you were?

01tundra

Explorer
With the upcoming UA and the threats of deep mud I've been hearing about, I decided to rework my original gettofabulous extended intake to make it a little more water tight. Also added some mud protection to the fenders and engine compartment. I have no use for a snorkel, but did want to get the intake up high enough to handle the deepest water/mud that I would be willing to put my rig through. I think this came out as a good compromise and the truck runs great with the new set-up.

First, cut the lip off the factory air box to be able to mount & seal a new connector on it -

ab1.jpg

Next, found a intake connector at Advance Auto, it came in a kit with the original flex tubing I used on my previous version of an extended intake -

ab2.jpg

Then luckily found out that 3" Sch. 40 PVC fit snuggly over the fitting -

ab3.jpg

Also found out the hard way to use the proper glue when using PVC & ABS together, the one in the red worked well - the heavy duty PVC glue that I originally tried didn't take to the ABS -

ab5.jpg

Used my heat gun to form the corner of the connector to the air box for a tight fix, it's not pretty, but it won't leak either -

ab4.jpg

Next, wanted to get the 3" Sch. 40 pipe a little thinner at the top so I could stuff it far up in the fender, so I took my torch to it and made the opening oval shaped -

ab6.jpg

ab7.jpg

Found a 3" rubber 90 degree elbow at Home Depot (for connecting 3" Sch. 40 PVC in the plumbing dept.) that would fit through the original fender hole and had a small enough radius to clear the fender -

ab18.jpg

ab8.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
Got the elbow mounted to the air box and turned up to the proper angle, then attached the PVC pipe and used a nylon tie to secure it -

ab9.jpg

ab10.jpg

ab13.jpg

The intake is now up higher than any water level I will ever attempt to cross through -

ab11.jpg

For reference, at 52" my entire engine would be submerged and the water would be up on my dash.....and I'm not going there! -

ab12-1.jpg

ab19.jpg

Next, added factory inner fender liners, slightly cut & modified to fit my truck, haven't had these in years and definitely looking forward to an easier clean-up after being in mud -

ab14.jpg

ab15.jpg

Also picked up an inner tube at TSC to make some side skirts out of, in an attempt to minimize the amount of mud my tires could throw into the engine compartment -

ab16.jpg

ab17.jpg

Last edited:

Willman

Wow....:drool:

Keep up the great work!

Now you need to build a trailer to match you ride!!!

:sombrero:

01tundra

Explorer
Yeah, I would love to! I've been lurking around the trailer threads, will most likely find a 1/2-ton military trailer and outfit it to my liking. Projects are just moving slowly right now while I'm in the process of paying off some debt from my house construction and saving for the UA trip.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
That is one hell of a rig! Clean fab work and build up... Also enjoyed the footage in Petersons ... looked like a good time.

This is a bit late but welcome to Expo. :sombrero:

Cool idea on the sealed stock air box. I actually purchased some 3 " hydro tube a few years back and have been saving my stock air box for a similar idea, but I wasn't sure what to do for the fender/body intake assembly. What are you going to use for the fender/body intake tube and pre-filter ??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues