Post pictures of your Land Rover.

michaels

Explorer
No problem! and Thanks, I'm so ready to see the outcome too..

be careful about blowing all your money on your truck before going to college. my first year of college all i wanted to do was blow cash on my truck, but now that i'm moving into the last years of my college career i wished i wasn't in such a hurry to send all my extra cash into the truck. don't skimp on going out with friends or being involved socially when you get to school because you want to mod your truck. i know it seems like a long time, but the big expensive items should wait until you have a real job, or at the very least summer jobs. budgeting on your own get tight, even if you are given/earning a lot each month. remember most people on here throwing all this money at their trucks usually make a pretty decent living and aren't kids, so they have an extra thousand here and there to throw at mods, but you probably don't just based on your age. just a little advice from someone a few years older but still near your age.

Thor

Observer
be careful about blowing all your money on your truck before going to college. my first year of college all i wanted to do was blow cash on my truck, but now that i'm moving into the last years of my college career i wished i wasn't in such a hurry to send all my extra cash into the truck. don't skimp on going out with friends or being involved socially when you get to school because you want to mod your truck. i know it seems like a long time, but the big expensive items should wait until you have a real job, or at the very least summer jobs. budgeting on your own get tight, even if you are given/earning a lot each month. remember most people on here throwing all this money at their trucks usually make a pretty decent living and aren't kids, so they have an extra thousand here and there to throw at mods, but you probably don't just based on your age. just a little advice from someone a few years older but still near your age.

solid advice... you'd be amazed at how far you can go by simply adding off road tires (AT or MT) and becoming a really good driver and spotter.

rover4x4

Adventurer
Ditch the fender flares 18" rims wiper arms and lop off the airdam.

Do a thorough service but at VERY LEAST flush the COOLANT change oil, Rotella with a NAPA 1452. This should be priority number one!

You can do an inline thermostat which is really worthwhile check on the D-web. At very least your first purchase should be a scangauge II. If your gonna wheel it get diff guards and a recovery strap. I am always amazed at what a DII with a functioning traction control will do.

I would tell anyone to wait untill they had steady income to buy one of these things, I had one through college it took good care of me..

Welcome to the club.

brushogger

Explorer
Old ride...

Picture073.jpg

New ride...

DSCN1806.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Congratulations. I just bought an '04 this last summer w/ 43k on it. I love it. Be ready to become your own mechanic though. Head gasket was already starting to weep, but it was caught on pre-inspection. I did it myself for $600 including getting the heads shaved and vlave seals installed vs. $1700 quote by local rover indy shop. I would do it again in a minute. I've had many different 4wd's over the years. This is the most comfortable, capable, swb 4wd I've ever had.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Lentsh pay attention to rover4x4 and michaels. Both have very sound advice for you since you are going to college. I know several of the rover owners in the area have some really sweet built up rigs but it all came at a cost in some form or another. I have owned a rover for the last 7 years and I am still working on my undergrad all because I keep blowing money on my disco...

burn_e

Adventurer
Lentsh pay attention to rover4x4 and michaels. Both have very sound advice for you since you are going to college. I know several of the rover owners in the area have some really sweet built up rigs but it all came at a cost in some form or another. I have owned a rover for the last 7 years and I am still working on my undergrad all because I keep blowing money on my disco...

How does "ditching wiper arms and fender flares" contribute to the improvement of the car? I also have my doubts on ditching the 18inch wheels - there is quite an array of good tires avalible for that size nowadays (needs a careful calculation)

Shouldn't function follow form here?

fishEH

Explorer
How does "ditching wiper arms and fender flares" contribute to the improvement of the car? I also have my doubts on ditching the 18inch wheels - there is quite an array of good tires avalible for that size nowadays (needs a careful calculation)

Shouldn't function follow form here?
"Ditching the wiper arms" refers to replacing them with D1 arms because D1 blades are cheap and easily had at any auto parts store.

"Ditching fender flares" I have no idea? Usually guys with D1's buy D2 flares when they get offset rims.

"Ditching the 18's" would be because on a 32" tire your sidewall is less than on a 16" rim. Less sidewall = increased chance of damaging your blingy rims.

rover4x4

Adventurer
Because those fender flares look like **** and belong on Jeeps and its only a couple of screws to remove them. what he said about the 18" rims.

fishEH

Explorer
Because those fender flares look like **** and belong on Jeeps and its only a couple of screws to remove them. what he said about the 18" rims.
Umm, you do know he's got a D2 and that the fender flares are factory equipment on them, right? I honestly can't remember seeing any D2 without flares. Have you got a pic of one?

michaels

Explorer
Umm, you do know he's got a D2 and that the fender flares are factory equipment on them, right? I honestly can't remember seeing any D2 without flares. Have you got a pic of one?

mine. took em off a couple years. looks way better. this pic is about two years old but it's the only one i have without the flares.
DSC_0121.jpg

rover4x4

Adventurer

Thanks M. Those DII's are nice trucks even if Land Rover tried to **** them up.

Howski

I took the flares off mine, but they had worn into the paint some, so I put them back on. The truck definately would look cleaner without them but it just won't work out for me. They have seemed to help keep scratches down and damage less on the fenders when I've bumped into small trees or with brush on narrow trails. I have 18's as well. I'd like to get a set of 16's eventually but 18's aren't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's only an inch less sidewall than 16's. There should be more mods on your list ahead of getting 16's. It's a matter of time until your stock bumper starts cracking. Mine cracked in 2 or 3 places the first time I wheeled my truck. Just keep that in mind if you care for the looks of your truck at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3