upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
A couple or shots from Christmas
day on the Keweenaw Peninsula

e4d22a5b.jpg

e03b1132.jpg

fishEH

Explorer
mine. took em off a couple years. looks way better. this pic is about two years old but it's the only one i have without the flares.
DSC_0121.jpg

Hey, how about that. I guess I never really payed attention. Turns out my friend's D2 has no flares either.
On a D2 flares or no flares looks ok to me. But a D1 needs offset wheels in order to flares to look alright, I think.

burn_e

Adventurer
"Ditching the wiper arms" refers to replacing them with D1 arms because D1 blades are cheap and easily had at any auto parts store.

"Ditching fender flares" I have no idea? Usually guys with D1's buy D2 flares when they get offset rims.

"Ditching the 18's" would be because on a 32" tire your sidewall is less than on a 16" rim. Less sidewall = increased chance of damaging your blingy rims.

Ok, how much chaeper than D2? And how often do you need to change them? And how much do you spend on the parts swap (you will get the most probably from the scrap, but nevertheless)?

Regarding the tire I want to respectfully disagree. Depending on the expected terrain and load there is a wide range of tires available which fit the job. (looking at the tires on his FJ, I would say stick with them which are on).

If it is about making yet another Disco uniform to all the others in the forums, there are plenty of build threads which cover all the that until R.E.M. :)

Nevertheless I fully agree on the major service (ALL Fluids change mandatory, belts, bushes and hoses throroughly inspected and in doubt replaced) proposed as start.

Ultraviolet

Observer
Ok, how much chaeper than D2? And how often do you need to change them? And how much do you spend on the parts swap (you will get the most probably from the scrap, but nevertheless)?

it depends, d2 wipers are a specific part and run about 30$ the d1 any wipers will fit but if one gets sillblades or bosh it will cost the same. one can always get refils as well for about 6 bones if you dont mind changing them a little more often.

mick968

Observer
D1 with some Flare!

Hey, how about that. I guess I never really payed attention. Turns out my friend's D2 has no flares either.
On a D2 flares or no flares looks ok to me. But a D1 needs offset wheels in order to flares to look alright, I think.

Offset wheels and some flares

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg2.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg2.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 135

fishEH

Explorer

Regarding the tire I want to respectfully disagree. Depending on the expected terrain and load there is a wide range of tires available which fit the job. (looking at the tires on his FJ, I would say stick with them which are on).

If it is about making yet another Disco uniform to all the others in the forums, there are plenty of build threads which cover all the that until R.E.M. :)

Nevertheless I fully agree on the major service (ALL Fluids change mandatory, belts, bushes and hoses throroughly inspected and in doubt replaced) proposed as start.

Take it easy, Boss. I'm just trying to shed some light on someone else's reccommendations.
The part about the wiper blades isn't just about money, its about availability in more remote areas.
I never said there weren't enough tires available for 18" rims. I made a statement about the sidewall of a tire. A factful statement which cannot be argued with. FACT: a 32" tire will have less sidewall on an 18" rim than on a 16" rim.
I personally don't care what his rover looks like, to each his own. However, there is something to be learned from other peoples experiences. There's also not much sense in doing something just to be different if that's the only benefit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven