Post Your Montero SPORT Pics!

yzfgsx

Observer
The Montero Sport is a great vehicle for towing.
IMG_0667.jpg

mitsuman

Y7DWel.jpg

My 2001 Montero Sport XS, consider it a sort of Prerunner Montero Sport,

3.5L, 2wd with air locker from a 95SR traded in during cash for clunkers, OME medium duty rear springs, cranked stock torsion bars.

Nick02

I love my 2x4 montero sport I call it the Moose, my mom was the original owner, it's my dependable DD. It has 187K on the ticker, goes through a qt of oil every two weeks, has been hail-damaged to all hell, been in two serious wrecks, transported a 14bolt,dana44,dana24, and np205 all at once and running on all factory parts except the waterpump,batt,starter, or ring seals plugs and timing belt stuff lol
when the 6g72 bites the dust, I'am replacing it with 4bt.

I drive the thing like it's a ferarri, squeeling tires WOT everywhere it's a fun little SUV:)
it can fit four 39" tires too
img0510bp.jpg

img0541h.jpg

how do you crank the t-bars, my front is rideing on the lower bumps... do I need an alignment afterward?

Last edited:

mitsuman

Where the t-bars connect to the chassis of the truck you will see a threaded rod. Just loosen the jam nut and tighten the top nut. Count how many rounds you go and do both sides equally. Take it for a ride around the block to let the suspension settle and see if you wanna go more or less.

As far as alignment goes. If you raise the truck much you should get the camber adjusted. But you will need to call a shop you trust and make an appointment so that they have the shims needed to do the job. Nobody has them in stock for these trucks.

gimp1045

2003 MS 3.5
-2" OME heavy duty suspension
-2" Body lift
-285/75/16 Yokohama Geolander AT-S
-16" KMC XD Series Enduro wheels
-Garvin Wilderness rack, with spare tire, hi-lift,
axe/shovel bracketry. Also have light brackets, not installed yet

--------------------------------------------------------

Adding in the near future:
-ARB bumper
-winch
-snorkel
-lighting for bumper and rack
-more recovery gear
-cb radio

Adding in the not so near future, but eventually:
-ARB air locker front and rear
-ARB air compressor

river1.jpg

river2.jpg

river3.jpg

scrubber3

Not really here
That's a good looking sport! I'd get at least a rear locker before you get a snorkel. That's just my humble opinion though.

shmabs

Explorer
My sport

Coming up hell's gate
20111017_287.jpg

A bit of a squeeze on kane creek
20111017_207.jpg

Heading out of hoodraiser at Tillamook State Forest, i call this shot "snow camo"
IMG_6509.jpg

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Hey guys I'm Monty98 from monterosportonline.com! Good to see some Monty's over here at expeditionportal! I'm looking into the overland and long/extensive camping myself so I came here for advice, here's some non-action shots of my rig.

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

What you see is a
-torsion bar crank in the front
-added and recurved leafs in the rear
-a spare tire carrier off a 1997 Montero Sport that I added to my 1998, still in progress
-just some el-cheapo "off-road" 100w halogen lights on the front
-31x10.5x15 BFG A/T's that have roughly 40,000 miles on them, so I get some new ones before the summer! (if the wife lets me haha)

Where has the money gone you ask? Well routine maintenance since I got it in 2009, all ball joints, right control arm, wheel bearings, engine gaskets, spark wires, tires, suspension work, exhaust.
I've been delaying the work for timing belt, water pump, and front and rear cam seals....eeek...long over due, but might wait until it warms up a bit! (to work on it)

Oh, and I am at 140,000 miles right now. Still going strong :wings:

J.McGowan

The Montero Sport is a great vehicle for towing.

Holy crap, you tow that much with your monty? I tow a 1000lb trailer and my 2002 struggles... maybe it's the elevation, I notice it most in the mountains.

I gotta look around for some current pics of mine, it's a 2WD 2002 sport, basically bone stock except for a roof basket. It gets the job done in the southwest, since we never have snow, and rarely see mud.

Here's a tech question, how do I know if mine has a limited slip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater