Post your tents

tbar

Observer
here's mine

truck-1.jpg

2006 Rubi

I was wondering if anyone has comments about the difference between the REI Kingdom 6 and the REI Base Camp 6. I'm trying to decide which one to purchase. Thank you in advance!

net4n6

Adventurer
I don't have Base Camp 6 but I have Kingdom 6. I love the Kingdom 6. REI came out the new "Garage" attachment for the Kindom 6. It worth the $ to get it. You can store your "stuff" in the garage and have lots of room inside.

I was in the same situation couple years ago but decided on the Kindom 6. I think I made a right choice. I called REI support and they told me the differences. I forgot...
You can call REI support they will explain to you.

barlowrs

Explorer
I have a base camp 6 as my backup to my kodiak (it was my main tent prior to the kodiak)...it is a GREAT tent....highly reccomend it!

matt41482

Observer
I to have the kingdom 6 only few trips with it so fair but at the current price that REi is offering it was hard to pass up. Easy setup with penty of room for the famliy i highly recommend it.. here is a picture from a test run in the back yard.

eb7cb0be.jpg

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
The Kingdom 6 is perfect for our family of 4. If you compare it to the Base Camp 6 on there website the difference in the dimensions are a matter of inches. The Kingdom 6 has the divider wall feature to separate the tent into two rooms. The Base Camp 6 has the mountaineering-style geodesic pole design which would hold up better in some weather the Kingdom 6 probably wouldn't. The best thing about purchasing either is the 100% satisfaction guarantee. :)

GFA

Adventurer
I Just picked up a kingdom 6 myself a few weeks ago. At a sale price of 279 plus an extra 30% off of that for members currently, it seems like a great deal. I also picked up the garage to go along with it though I don't imagine I'll use it every time I'm out.

I am having a hard time on deciding whether or not I want to keep it though. With the tent, garage and ground tarp, I'm more than halfway to a Kodiak. I bought mine before the 30% off offer so with everything plus tax, I'm probably at about $400 into it. I guess I'll at least try it out first since I can return it at anytime...

SB

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I've just noticed the 30% off for REI. That along with the comments will close the deal for me. Thank you!

I refuse to buy from REI because they support land closure organizations like The Sierra Club. :mad: Instead, I buy from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops or The Sportsman's Guide or any of a number of other companies that support keeping public lands open for all of the public.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I refuse to buy from REI because they support land closure organizations like The Sierra Club. :mad: Instead, I buy from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops or The Sportsman's Guide or any of a number of other companies that support keeping public lands open for all of the public.

Absolutely agree. REI is not 4 wheel friendly. Don't support them closing access to your favorite adventure spots.

I will never buy from them.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The Kingdom 6 is perfect for our family of 4. If you compare it to the Base Camp 6 on there website the difference in the dimensions are a matter of inches. The Kingdom 6 has the divider wall feature to separate the tent into two rooms. The Base Camp 6 has the mountaineering-style geodesic pole design which would hold up better in some weather the Kingdom 6 probably wouldn't. The best thing about purchasing either is the 100% satisfaction guarantee. :)

This is very true, but I think it doesn't really define the gap between the tents. The Kingdom tent is much taller, allowing you to stand in it, but its really more like the tent you'd set up in the backyard during the summer, or maybe at the beach. It's not an all weather tent by any means. The Base Camp will hold up to snow, torrential rain, hail, and 75mph winds. I know from personal experience!

1196012066_nyN34-XL.jpg

Mel.Specs

Adventurer
This is very true, but I think it doesn't really define the gap between the tents. The Kingdom tent is much taller, allowing you to stand in it, but its really more like the tent you'd set up in the backyard during the summer, or maybe at the beach. It's not an all weather tent by any means. The Base Camp will hold up to snow, torrential rain, hail, and 75mph winds. I know from personal experience!

You're right, It does not define the gap between the two. The REI website has a feature which allows the consumer to try to narrow the gap by comparing up to four items side by side and answer questions like; Best use, Seasons, Design type, Weight, Floor dimensions, Peak height and so on. They also advertise the peak height of both tents at 6' 2". I am sure the Base Camp would hold up to snow, torrential rain, hail, and 75mph winds because of the "the mountaineering-style geodesic pole design" and from your personal experience. Again, the best thing about purchasing either is the 100% satisfaction guarantee. If it does not hold up after the 3 OR 4 seasons I put it through at the beach, I'll take it back and replace it for the Base Camp. Then run it through its paces. (Even if it is from REI)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal