Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
They sell for between €2700 and €3,800. They are almost all the same format as mine (pictures on first post on this thread). A small number are single cab with a cherry picker on the back - these sell for more. All are 3.7m wheelbase. None are panel vans.

Last edited:

Nigel Evans

Observer
Paul in Germany fit covers:

image.jpg

image.jpg

My truck has drums on the back so I haven't done anything with them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 49

Nigel Evans

Observer
Docka,

If I was going to do this again I'd go for a box on the back! Too many compromises converting a van and in the end it probably costs more.

docka

Adventurer
Nigel, well yes, especially if the 4x4 chassis cabs etc are available at the prices Ianc mentioned at the auctions... Hmmm...

Anton2k3

Adventurer
If you have already converted the panel van and are happy with it, why not just use the 4x4 da chassis, mount your body, and put the cab on your old chasses and sell it? I'm sure there cant be too many differences between the two chassis types can there? I'm considering doing this in the future if I can find one at a reasonable price (probably from Ireland!).

Last edited:

LukeH

Adventurer
Paul in Germany fit covers:

View attachment 129173

You know looking at those protective drums makes me realise you actually own six of them already.
Your lugs are long enought for twin wheels so just recycle two of those; grind off the rim edges and bolt it on as the inner wheel with the tyre off.
It will cover the brake and you can be sure and certain that it's strong enough should it sit on a rock because that's what it is made for.
You could even drill some holes like the drums above.

docka

Adventurer
If you have already converted the panel van and are happy with it, why not just use the 4x4 da chassis, mount your body, and put the cab on your old chasses and sell it? I'm sure there cant be too many differences between the two chassis types can there? I'm considering doing this in the future if I can find one at a reasonable price (probably from Ireland!).

Good idea! Although I am far from finished converting the 4x2, but it does open up the options. How easy would it be to lift the panel van body off?

docka

Adventurer
You know looking at those protective drums makes me realise you actually own six of them already.
Your lugs are long enought for twin wheels so just recycle two of those; grind off the rim edges and bolt it on as the inner wheel with the tyre off.
It will cover the brake and you can be sure and certain that it's strong enough should it sit on a rock because that's what it is made for.
You could even drill some holes like the drums above.

Cracking idea!

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Good idea! Although I am far from finished converting the 4x2, but it does open up the options. How easy would it be to lift the panel van body off?

I haven't had a proper look at what would be involved, but the body is held on with a series of rubber mounts bolted to the chassis. These would be easy to remove. The tanks, air lines, cabling etc etc. is all chassis mounted, so the only wires going to body are dash/engine related, which all unplug. Would have to modify the body slightly to accept the 4x4 control unit, and change all the wiring over, but the dash etc is the same, so should be ok. This is of course, all based on the assumption that the chassis are identical in dimensions and wheel base. Can anyone confirm this?

docka

Adventurer
I haven't had a proper look at what would be involved, but the body is held on with a series of rubber mounts bolted to the chassis. These would be easy to remove. The tanks, air lines, cabling etc etc. is all chassis mounted, so the only wires going to body are dash/engine related, which all unplug. Would have to modify the body slightly to accept the 4x4 control unit, and change all the wiring over, but the dash etc is the same, so should be ok. This is of course, all based on the assumption that the chassis are identical in dimensions and wheel base. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I too think it could be done, all a question of time/effort/reward etc... However in my case the panel van is LWB so perhaps precludes the need to have a 4x4 drive train anyway, that's assuming i could even find a LWB 4x4 chassis!

docka

Adventurer
Hey ianc, how's the project coming along, done much lately? I see there's one like yours was on flea bay for a shade under £10k!!
I'm struggling with mine at the mo as it's located at my dad's house 100 miles away.
Cheers

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Docka that is definitely an ex ESB vehicle. In fact I'm 80% sure it's one of the ones I didn't bid on. The Kms on the clock are very similar and I recognise the dent on the driver door. I can't remember why I didn't choose this one. It sold for about 3,200 Euro.

I'm told that the panels have arrived and box construction starts this week. Detailed planning of electrics, plumbing internal layout etc is nearly finalised. Here's some evidence :)

wiring.jpg

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi ianc,

I remember doing one of those diagrams a couple of years ago!

You have probably already mentioned this, but from where did you aquire your vehicle? Can you confirm the wheel base? Is it the same as the MWB panel vans?

I'm considering buying one to put my body on, if its economical enough too. Ideally a non runner 4x4 with severe cabin rot but sound chassis would be perfect!

Ta,

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Anton
I bought it in an auction of ex Electricity Supply Board trucks here in Ireland. The websites for the two auction houses are given earlier in the thread. It cost just under €3k. They are all 3.7m wheelbase in chassis/cab configuration.

They seem to auction about 3-4 times a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy