Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Panels for construction arrived at the fabricators yesterday. I did a quick check this morning before they started assembly. After 3 months waiting, the sides are the wrong size. :-(

I have to wait until Monday to talk with the guys about it.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Things are moving again. I visited the fabricators this morning (Saturday) and there were 3 guys working on it.

DSC00405 (800x600).jpg DSC00406 (800x600).jpg

DSC00409 (800x600).jpg DSC00411 (800x600).jpg

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Making progress.
WP_000196.jpgWP_000197.jpg
WP_000198.jpgWP_000199.jpg

However the nose is not right and they have to do it again :-(
I wish they had done what we had a greed and spoke to me first. The angle at the front is way too vertical. You can just about see it in the photo below.

WP_000201.jpg

It should be like this
RHS image 08-01-13.jpg

Skirts, edge trim and painting are the only big things left for the company to do.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Interesting. I looked at the photos before I read what you had posted. When I was looking at the photos I thought the front cab-over looked a little too square. What was the reason for them doing it that way?

docka

Adventurer
Suitably impressed, looks great so far, despite the niggle with the angle.
I presume you're intending to get it reclassified as a motorhome when finished? Hoping to do so with mine later this year but the DVLA are tending to be picky with >3.5t reclassification though i imagine yours will be fine. One chap on another forum (SBMCC) had his Atego come back from them as "specially fitted van"....

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Interesting. I looked at the photos before I read what you had posted. When I was looking at the photos I thought the front cab-over looked a little too square. What was the reason for them doing it that way?

They just didn't pay enough attention to the drawings.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Suitably impressed, looks great so far, despite the niggle with the angle.
I presume you're intending to get it reclassified as a motorhome when finished? Hoping to do so with mine later this year but the DVLA are tending to be picky with >3.5t reclassification though i imagine yours will be fine. One chap on another forum (SBMCC) had his Atego come back from them as "specially fitted van"....

I believe it should be ok. I'll be processing it via the Irish Department of Environment and will pay an engineer to do up the submission.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey Doka,

I just reclassified ours. I sent lots of pics of the inside and outside, drawing attention to details on the outside which make it obvious it's a camper such as the windows, roof vents, tv aerial, lights etc. Apparently they won't give full reclassification (but instead send it back as 'panel van with windows') if it does not look like a campervan from the outside. Similarly, all internal requirements must be met.

ianc, pretty sure you won't have any problems! Looks great by the way. What are you doing about chassis flexing?

Ta,

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Doka - The box is integrated to the cab and its subframe is mounted as rigidly to the chassis as the cab at the front and then via spring tensioned fittings further back.

Currently the springs have only about 50mm of give in them but there is space to increase this significantly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy