• Hate it?

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Can't quite get ya head around it...

Votes: 42 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keyblazer

Adventurer
The RV guys have a product called Eternabond that's a sealing tape that (so they say) sticks to anything and is near impossible to remove. It may not do what you want but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for that Kelster, I did in fact find reference to that stuff and it may be useful!

Thanks Camit, yep, I get ya!
Not sure if I posted this before but a Buddy of mine who I sent pics to when I got it, never really liked it in reality... and he said as much. But a few months ago he swang by when I was working on it, and after looking it over, going inside etc, he suddenly changed his mind, and proclaimed that he totally gets it and what I am aiming for!

So, I am trying to figure out what the deal is with these roof caps.
When i was at the Junk yard the otrher week I saw a Dodge van with the "High Roof" version, and I was thinking about that van...
I am thinking that I could pull the roof off the rear, and move it to the front, and find a high roof to put on the rear. As the rear roof would be taller, I could cut the profile of it to sit over where it meets the front section(the drop section of the front roof would be removed).
I need to go to the JY and take some measurements..
Until then I am trying to figure out how the roof attaches to the steelwork, and after the rusty section is removed, what will be left to attach to!

Keyblazer

Adventurer
I have been looking at how to fix the rust issue...
It seems that this is a weakspot on all Dodge vans..
On BigB its made worse by the fact that the Cap does not follow the roof shape, and they "fixed" this issue by putting sealant in the gaps... which held more water, and made it worse!
Here is the extent of the issue... its pretty bad, but the repair and solution is a big improvement!
Roof rust..
IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

From inside you can really see how bad it is!
IMG_4633.jpg

Drivers side gutter..
IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

Now, here is the basic plan...
The current roof cap will be coming off to repair the rust.
I plan to cut out the front roof section, where I need to, make repair sections for the rusted areas. Then I will make a tube that runs around the whole inside of the roof gutter to replace the lost strength, and this will have 6 legs that extend to the floor with foot plates, forming a chassis stiffener/roll cage. I think 3 cross beams as well.
The current roof cap will be remounted at the front, adding headroom, and I am gonna find a suitable "Taller" cap for the rear.
I have already been searching junkyards for the new roof cap.
The two caps will be modded to fit together and I think I will cut and glass them into one.
This plan will give me increased headroom, better chassis stiffness and solve the rust issue!

Keyblazer

Adventurer
I really hate this thing. It is depressing to look at. Please paint it soon!

You hate the whole van... or just the rust?

A buddy of mine says I should make a trailer to tow behind...
In a silly moment, I wondered how it would look....

ROFL!:wings:
Trailer.jpg

dsw4x4

Adventurer
As long as you connected it to the van using one of those slinky boots you see on the articulating mass transit busses it would be cool. The trailer could be the master suite!!!

Explorer
You hate the whole van... or just the rust?

A buddy of mine says I should make a trailer to tow behind...
In a silly moment, I wondered how it would look..

I don't hate the whole van, just the part that extends past its normal footprint. I think the color is making it really hard to look at. I wonder how it would look with olive green on flat black, like a military truck?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Abomination of nature. I'm glad you like it; looks like you'll have your work cut out for you. Sorry -- you asked...

Patman

Explorer
The Van Rocks and your solution for your cancer issue a great idea.

Having said that, I feel kinda dirty.....like admitting I like to watch certain reality shows, or slowing down to eyeball an accident scene on the freeway.:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat