Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Can't quite get ya head around it...

Votes: 42 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Thanks,
Its a weird kinda van... thats why I posted the ballot!
If you go right back to post #1, you will find my original Wilderness Camper project, so you get a sense of what I am into...
But, in the words of my GF... I clean up nice!
I have a lot of projects and stuff going on, on top of BigB, so I am not able to go full tilt at it yet...
One of the things I need to get done is fix a bad oil leak in the genset of my Airstream, so I can use the power from that to work on the rust!

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
You are thinking what I had in mind...
Its never gonna be a thing of Delicate beauty, so satin green was on the list!

I'm picturing something like the rig in stripes

stripes664ayk8.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
They are right you know. It's really just not hard core enough. It NEEDS this:

http://www.moryinc.com/t-dodge-en.html

Well actually...I guess it needs two of them...

My old beater van has one like it. It's 6'2" inside and I'm 6'4". Still, it's a LOT better than walking around bent over all the time. Heres mine.

Love the Van Charger BTW. Too bad it's just not tall enough. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 47

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Based on this guys perspective I think you have the perfect vehicle.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjO2Z2f2_8&feature=related"]YouTube - Living In A Van (Off The Grid)[/ame]

If you decide you can't deal with the large genset then consider making it a backup power system for the house and installing one of the small lighter and quieter Hondas or Yamaha Portable Generators.

I built and wired a 5300 KW generator into my house with a blockout transfer switch to prevent backfeed onto the Power Grid. It's not big enough to run the entire house on, but will run the essentials. TV, Tivo, Fridge, computers, Microwave and lights. Cooking is a combo of gas and electric. With the block out transfer switch I can only run the house on the generator by disconnecting from the metered feed, and visa versa. We live in the Country and power outages have become a nuisance. So I built a generator for the house. I could have used the 8 KW one from my Motorhome, but my MH is parked too far from the house to be of much good for outages of only an hour or less. Having a generator only a few steps out the door is a lot more convient.

I like the stretched van and see a lot of potential.
Let me throw out some idea I have about it.

Why not replace all the roof with a fiberglass cap and reinforce it with a internal cage. This way you can stand to get dressed and the shower can be more permanent.
Keep of the added weight down low to keep the cornering more reasonable.
I don't see a lot of serious off roading with that wheelbase, but dirt roads to out of the way hideaways in the high desert would be a common place to camp with it. So 44's and major lifts would be a waste of funds.
Maybe consider putting the kitchen stove and oven on the back doors so you can cook outside under an awning when weather permits. Have the sink and fridge mounted in the tail cabinets and the cookstove and MW on the doors. Some slide out drawers for food storage and utensiles under the countertops. Make the drawers so they will slide both outside the rear of the van and inside for food preperation on rainy days.

The transfer case idea to pick up the rear drive axle would be cool. But, if you wanted to utilize that drive and still be able to steer the van, think about getting a front axle for back there, have the pumpking rotated 180 degrees, (this will give you an offset for the drive shaft) and keep the tie rod for a self stearable drive axle. You wouldn't even have to worry about a steering box. Just let it trail naturally like a tag axle. This way your van will pivot off the front drive axle and allow the rear to track smoothly behind and put power down as you go. The only down side I see is you would have to allow for swing. My Motorhome has a lot of overhang and it took me some time to get used to. Lucky me my Toad is my Off Road Rig and has a substantial front bumper. Those poor mailboxes didn't have a chance before I learned to drive the MH with it behind me. It's an aquired skill!!!!:victory:

Anyway, cool project! And with the economy going south, it might be a nice place for off the grid living in the next couple of years.

Oh, and the Air Stream Motorhome is a Classic. I'm jealous.
I understand that any camper or Motorhome in California is now worth their weight in gold as the housing forcloser rate goes through the roof. Wal Mart Camping is becoming the trend. Glad I left So Cal in the 70's!
I guess that's all I have to add!

Consider me Subscribed.:coffeedrink:

Curtis in Texas

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Well, Mr Curtis!
Great input, and you are clearly on the same page as I am.

Thankyou for posting that video...
Interesting take on stuff from that guy, and I agree with his attitude and game plan!
My Van is way to big and conspicuous to pull that off tho!

I have lived "Off the grid" for 3 years in Erope and learned a lot from it... here are some pics when I was in Tuscany, Italy, living on an Olive Grove!
CaravanPics1.jpg

I agree with you on the economy... this and previous goverments has no clue what they are doing beyond lining their own pockets... dont get me wrong, I am all for the free market economy, but come on... we need to be playing on a level field... And bigger goverment is NOT the answer... I am gonna get off my soapbox right now and get back to the plan.

I lost my job earlier this year, and without an understanding and supportive GF, I would probably living off the grid too. The Airstream was bought when I needed to feel like I would always have somewhere to lay my head, and its there if I ever need it, or I want to travel in the short term.
I agree its a classic... both by name and by nature... I always wanted an Airstream trailer, but having traveled and learned I want access to the bathrooms and freedom that the trailer does not allow, so the Van and the Airstream fitted my needs perfectly!

Trust me, we have an Earthquake/emergency plan that involves both Van and Airstream. It a comfort to have everyone knows where they should head to, and that we are prepped for them with food and water. So, we have a 7000w in the Airstream, a 5000w in the Van and I also have a 3500w portable here at the house. We are also packing enough heat between us to protect our situation against "undesirable situations".

So, to the van specifically...
Full Fiberglass top=headroom and lighter weight... Agreed!
Perimeter and roll bar for strength and safety... Agreed!

It would be nice to think I would be able to go anywhere, but you view of the limitations are realistic, as mine are.... Fire road, and beach capable to find that perfect idealic spot away from the crowds.

35"s or maybe 37"s would be about right, and give me that sweet spot between on road and offroad. I would love to get the tag driven, but its not on my high priority list for now, as is the great idea about the steering tag... but I will put them in the possibility list!

Being out of work precludes a new genset for now, even tho it makes sense!
Again, thanks for the awesome and thoughtful input!
Please keep it coming!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Maybe consider putting the kitchen stove and oven on the back doors so you can cook outside under an awning when weather permits. Have the sink and fridge mounted in the tail cabinets and the cookstove and MW on the doors. Some slide out drawers for food storage and utensiles under the countertops. Make the drawers so they will slide both outside the rear of the van and inside for food preperation on rainy days.

Mine has the head in the rear, which I both love and hate. Sitting on the john is a very tight squeeze for a 6'4" brute like me...but having the shower back there rocks. I normally open the doors up and string a tarp between them for privacy and put down a wooden slat board to stand on and stand outside to shower. That's more or less the only way I can use the shower, since the shower itself is way too small for me (both in width and height).

If I were building one from scratch, I would probably make the entire tail end into a "wet room" and use a cassette toilet. Mine has a macerator on the black tank, so I can pump it out through a garden hose - but it's still a pain. People give you very strange looks when you run a garden hose from your RV into a pit toilet...

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Full Fiberglass top=headroom and lighter weight... Agreed!

Headroom yea, but lighter weight...um...don't think so. When I pulled the trim on my roof vent to clean the screen, I could see into the guts of the top on mine and it's beefier than I expected. Looks like two layers of glass with 1"x1" laid front to rear and insulation between the runners.

Just a wild guess, but I'd say that this bubble top weighs probably at least twice what the original tin can roof weighed.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I really have no words. Seriously. I'm completely speechless. As you will be when you look at this pic.

Attachments

• wot-the-the-the-helliz-that.jpg
    wot-the-the-the-helliz-that.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 244

Keyblazer

Adventurer
LOL, yes indeedy!
No updates on BigB....
I am working on the 7kw genset in my Airstream, and some other stuff. I need that running before I start cutting and welding, as I need the power...
I have put BigB on the backburner until I find a roof and have a couple of other things lined up.
She is not a dead project, just I have to prioritize some other stuff, that will allow me to have all the tools and pieces I need in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat