Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Can't quite get ya head around it...

Votes: 42 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Nothing Physical sadly.
There is not a day goes by when I dont think about it, or research something for it.
In many ways I have been working on it tho...
Another interior design is under way with Sketchit...
Not a whole lot of change, just detail and more accurate plans. The Kitchen detailing is pretty close, but the bathroom and shower is still in flux, as I have been taking measurements from Class B Van conversions and realized that I was wasting too much space. The roof issue has yielded headroom benefits that i did not have before.
I have selected the flooring, and all of the interior treatments.
My minds eye has a very clear view, the only issue is money and time for now.
I spent a day with a friend of mine who came to be my sounding board for my plans. He is a Designer and an Engineer. He was really jazzed, and aside from a few suggestions, he commented that I had my vision and it was both clear and workable for the interior and overall theme.
The work I am doing on the Airstream is yielding benefits with what the plan is for Solar power, batteries, heating, and hot water for BigB.

If I did not have the genset already, I would not have one and run a set of batteries running an inverter, using a solar array.
Looked at lifting the genset up to make the rear underfloor departure angle better, and making a bench seat to cover the hump. I took measurements, but after seeing what the drawbacks were, I did a full circle back to my original plan. I want the rear doors to be fully accessable, and the fllor to be flat. If I want to load Motorcycles, jetski, or kayak or surfboards in the back, I can. I need that flat floor. I added fold flat D ring tie downs to the design for that purpose.

A search for a NP200 for the twin output NP 205 with NP200 double outputs at the rear.
I have been working on the that since Wanderer posted the link over on the Pirate 4x4 forum by Charles Aarons in 2002.
I have tried but had not been able to contact the guy, so I was not sure it worked.
He wrote this:
You have to replace the front output shaft and that big flat 8 bolt cover with the NP200's two front and rear output shafts and the NP200's rear bearing retainer. Same bolt pattern. And the NP200's 2WD/4WD shift fork/rod. The 205's high/low shift rod/fork stays.
The key ingredient is the NP200's two-piece output shaft. I couldn't use the 200's E-brake on the centered output becuase the shift dog teeth are male on the 200 and female on the 205, so the input shaft/center output had to stay all 205.
The other key thing is that the idler shaft and all the gears in fact are totally interchangeable, and the 200's outout shaft and bearing retainer fit perfectly in the 205 case.
It'll have two separate shift levers, one for high/low, one for 2WD/4WD.

Recently, I have been watching the build thread of a very interesting beast by a guy called Mikel over at Pirate 4x4.
This guy has lots of good stuff going on that might give me some clues on both the T-Case and rear suspension!
Here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348576&highlight=

I have decided, when the underside mods come, that I will be swapping in a stronger front axle, and am also doing research on making the rear axle counter steer to stop the tire scrub.

I will need to get a tube bender and notcher for the roof mods, and every month I buy tools or equipment I need for the whole project.
Its not dead... its awaiting the end of the planning stage!

Last edited:

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Mmmm...
Np203 front part, grafted with a Doubler, to a NP205 .. with a twin rear output!
Triple stick!
Anyone got a NP200 or 201 they dont want?

That One Guy

Adventurer
As in it wouldn't work for MY van because I don't have two rear axles. I'm just having a hell of a time trying to find a 203 to fit my 727.

Vobile

Observer
Wow !!!

I love It .... I want another set of wheels on my voblie. I need to go through and read the whole tread now...:coffeedrink:

Vobile

Observer
I know, I think were gonna keep it. i will just give it to my son when he can drive, and fix things....... :Mechanic: the thing I am worried about is how affordable it will be in the future to drive the beast.... it might look cool sittin on the side of my house, at $ 4,5,? bucks a gallon thats where it will sit.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I just read this entire thread. Your van-rig is outrageously cool! I think if I had a workshop/garage, big play-money budget, and your van (and no responsabilities) I could easily spend the rest of my days with a big stupid grin on my face.

Keep going. This machine NEEDS to be saved.

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Vobile,
I will post some thoughts over on your thread!

BChauler, Thanks and I agree.
I have gone back thru the thread several times looking for a reminder or detail, and I am still proud to have found and bought her, and sit back grinning.
I have dreams about her several times a week!
You should see her in the flesh!
Budget is tight at the moment and I have some shorter term priorities, but she is not dead and will be saved.
I actually am spending time on her every day.
I was over there at the weekend took measurements and photo's and tarped the roof over the other one with a bigger thicker one to keep the rain from getting in.
Last week I was scouting Junkyards for the roof/topper. I had no luck, but I am looking.
Anyone know if the later Ram Van roof is the same?

Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
My limited understanding of the fullsize mopar vans is that they all used the same basic body 1970's through 2000+.

Vobile

Observer
100 dollar paint job.

If you get a chance, check out the vobile thread. I found some old pics of the rustolium attempt.... I think they are amusing......

Keyblazer

Adventurer
LOL, yes, Cool!

Not much progress in real terms, but Chasing parts, and collecting tools....
I narrowly missed a NP202 Divorced dual output T-case this week...:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat