Project Serenity: an 08 Tacoma DC overland build-up

wcj

Do you have any more information on the switch for the daylight running lights? I have not found any instructions to help and would like to be able to cut them off at times.

If you ever get to Dillon, look me up

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Freakin' Awesome Build!! I love how well thought out everything is and how smooth it looks when ready to roll

The Back seat M.O.L.E. attachment/fold down mod is probably the best Mod I've seen on this entire forum.

That and the rifle cases/cargo cases are ingenious. Hold tons of gear, yet probably stay completely hidden up on the roof and tucked right in the Bajarack

Thanks for taking the time to show so much detail in sharing with us

frozenground

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words, Pat! Really enjoy your photos :)

I just installed a new ARB with the fogs (previous gen 1 ARB got dinged up). The fogs seem good, the marker/turn lights work great when they work but are notorious for bulb socket corrosion... in AUS they have to use OEM lights to be legal so back in the day ARB sourced VW lights for this application (not sure which VW... Bug?).

SO, they are an archaic design that needs TLC. I used silicone to seal my lenses on (except the drain holes) and used copious dielectric grease in the bulb socket to fight corrosion. Good connections are key obviously.

Good info and advice, thanks Doc. I'll have to get in there and apply some of that TLC..

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
Any updates on the project? I saw some updated pics of the truck in the "Death Valley Wander 2011" thread; looks like you've added some black vinyl to the hood, made a custom wind fairing for the roof basket, added some lights to the fairing...anything else? I'd love to see a few closer pics of the custom fairing, it looks pretty slick in the pics from that trip report.

Love this build, probably my favorite on ExPo. :sombrero:

frozenground

Adventurer
yeah I have been seriously slacking on keeping this thread updated, sorry bout that! Wifey has been buggin me about it for awhile too haha.. I got pretty busy with work and the play fund was going into some other stuff for awhile but I did get some mods done over this last year. I will get some pics together to get this updated here soon, thanks for the reminder bump :D

frozenground

Adventurer
So, with the tonneau cover in place does the fridge still fit under the cover or does it stick up too much?

yes the MT35 on a slide lock fits under the tonneau, but just barely. it's the only fridge I could find that would fit the dimensions.. sorry for the late reply!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
yeah I have been seriously slacking on keeping this thread updated, sorry bout that! Wifey has been buggin me about it for awhile too haha.. I got pretty busy with work and the play fund was going into some other stuff for awhile but I did get some mods done over this last year. I will get some pics together to get this updated here soon, thanks for the reminder bump :D

Alright, we forgive you.

Now get busy...

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Love this build! I really like how you put your RTT low so it's protected behind the cab.

You stated in the OP that you were planning on going to 33's soon. Why? I am trying to figure out what size tire to run (265-75 or 255-85). Is there a problem with the smaller tires, something you found that they didn't work for? Just looking for some real world input to help me make up my mind.

frozenground

Adventurer
thanks! the OP is in need of an update, I actually put 285/75s on her earlier this year. There was no problem with the 265/75s, they handled most of the trips we did on them just fine other than some rock scrapes on the undercarriage from a few places where they just weren't quite tall enough to get over.. no biggie, but having a larger footprint aired down in the soft stuff and a little more clearance is nice.

stay tuned, I'm getting some updates in here ricky tick!

frozenground

Adventurer
winch solenoid relocation and wireless remote

ok time to get this thread updated finally! Most of this stuff is from earlier this year :ylsmoke:

I moved the winch solenoid off of the front bumper and under the hood:

serenitybuild11_1.jpg

serenitybuild11_2.jpg

added the Warn wireless winch controller, bolted right into the factory hole pattern a little crooked but dang solid there, and no need to make a bracket
serenitybuild11_3.jpg

I still keep the wired controller in the toolbox for backup, but the wireless remote sure is handy!

frozenground

Adventurer
Inverter remote switch & POR 15

I wired a remote on/off switch for the 1000w inverter in the toolbox. I was tired of having to roll up the bed cover and open the toolbox every time I needed to switch it on or off.. Now I can do it from the tailgate.
serenitybuild11_4.jpg

Coated a bunch of the underbody, and the sliders with POR-15. Cool stuff!
serenitybuild11_5.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
New Shoes!!

upped the tire size to 285/75s..
Pic from the day they were mounted
serenitybuild11_6.jpg

Was getting some heavy rub on the upper arms at lock (wheels have too much backspacing) so I added some Spidertrax, which fixed the interference with the arms but caused more rub on the outer well so I trimmed a bunch of plastic out of there.. Still getting a little rub near full stuff and steering lock, so I'm thinking about ditching the spidertrax, getting some 4" backspaced wheels instead, and possibly trimming the cab mounts some..

Love these tires though! Tough enough for Bat Country!!
projectserenity11_1.jpg

(no I didn't run him over, he was just checking out the truck ) :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77