Welcome to Nevadafornia
Wow great truck man, well done!

I also like the stickers in your tool box and laptop. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Rigged

Observer
lol, deer whistlers? do they work?

I've always wondered if those things work :D

Good question. I have always wondered the same thing. Good thing for Mythbusters.

frozenground -> I was thinking of picking up the ARB bumper for my '11 Taco how do you like the front fogs/turn signals? I have heard mixed reviews about them.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Amazing TACO!
So well done. Do you have a trip report to your DV trip? Would like to know where some of those pics were taken.

eli

Observer
08 Taco Overland Build

Thank You and Your Mrs. for sharing this thread . . . Well planned and executed Sir . . .:beer::beer

Tim A

Adventurer
Awesome build...did you feel that the RTT wasn't secure without adding the steel bedside caps? I really like the craftsmanship you put in to them, and would buy a set if they became available, hint hint. :smiley_drive:

frozenground

Adventurer
thanks for the comments fellas! :elkgrin:

lol, deer whistlers? do they work?

I've always wondered if those things work :D

Probably not, but my Father-In-Law swears by them and would give me a ration of ******** if I didn't put em on my fancy new pickup haha.. I can say that I've never hit a deer in a vehicle that had them on, but OTOH I have seen deer dodge toward the truck as it gets close, so it's a wash in my mind. Did Mythbusters bust them? I'll need to look up that episode..

frozenground

Adventurer
frozenground -> I was thinking of picking up the ARB bumper for my '11 Taco how do you like the front fogs/turn signals? I have heard mixed reviews about them.

Honestly they seem a little cheap. I also have read some mixed reviews, that in general the ARB indicators don't last very long anyway, so I don't have high expectations for the fogs either... but so far so good. They've shrugged off some pretty hard rock dings, no cracks or anything so far.

I've kicked around the idea of ditching the whole insert deal and fabricating something to hold an aftermarket 4" fog in there instead.

frozenground

Adventurer
Awesome build...did you feel that the RTT wasn't secure without adding the steel bedside caps? I really like the craftsmanship you put in to them, and would buy a set if they became available, hint hint. :smiley_drive:

Thanks!

It was secure enough just being bolted to the bed rails. Although it did have more flex in the mounts and put more stress on the bed rails that way, it was still plenty solid.

The biggest reason for the steel bedside caps was that I needed to move the rack mounts outside the bed altogether to make it work with the tonneau cover. The extra mounting strength and spreading the load out over the bedsides were just bonuses :chef:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Honestly they seem a little cheap. I also have read some mixed reviews, that in general the ARB indicators don't last very long anyway, so I don't have high expectations for the fogs either... but so far so good. They've shrugged off some pretty hard rock dings, no cracks or anything so far.

I've kicked around the idea of ditching the whole insert deal and fabricating something to hold an aftermarket 4" fog in there instead.

I just installed a new ARB with the fogs (previous gen 1 ARB got dinged up). The fogs seem good, the marker/turn lights work great when they work but are notorious for bulb socket corrosion... in AUS they have to use OEM lights to be legal so back in the day ARB sourced VW lights for this application (not sure which VW... Bug?).

SO, they are an archaic design that needs TLC. I used silicone to seal my lenses on (except the drain holes) and used copious dielectric grease in the bulb socket to fight corrosion. Good connections are key obviously.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77