Project Serenity: an 08 Tacoma DC overland build-up

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Great build! Giving me a lot of inspiration for bed build-outs on my rig as I waffle between a canopy shell or not. Leaning more towards not now that the wife is thinking about trading in her Prius for a 4-Runner Trail Edition.

Love the stickers on the tool box lid (except for the AAC ones... I work for Gemtech :D ).

We should meet up some time and get the rigs out to kill some prairie rats.

- DH

frozenground

Adventurer
Great build! Giving me a lot of inspiration for bed build-outs on my rig as I waffle between a canopy shell or not. Leaning more towards not now that the wife is thinking about trading in her Prius for a 4-Runner Trail Edition.

Love the stickers on the tool box lid (except for the AAC ones... I work for Gemtech :D ).

We should meet up some time and get the rigs out to kill some prairie rats.

- DH
Thanks!

LOL I was wondering if anyone would recognize those. You guys make some great kit as well. My next .22 cal can will most likely be Gemtech :ylsmoke:

Sounds like fun. Next June maybe, you know some good spots in central or eastern ID?

frozenground

Adventurer
ARB bullbar

Well I had spent months trying to decide on a front bumper solution. I really didn't like the idea of adding that much weight up front, but knew I was going to need a winch and some front end protection eventually. At first I had the lame idea of trying to mod the stock valance to run a winch in there, then decided that I wanted something with better approach angles and more protection for the front end so I started looking at steel bumpers.

Originally I really wanted the Allpro Hybrid bumper they made for the 05+ taco. Anybody remember those? Damn they were cool, and super light. Still not sure why they discontinued that model.. Then I wanted the Allpro plate bumper pretty bad mostly because it seemed like the lightest option (without going to aluminum and associated costs), almost ordered one, waffled some more. Contemplated the Shrockworks for awhile, which was my favorite in terms of looks but heavy, pricey and long lead time.

Ultimately I chose the ARB. Not because it was the best looking, or the lightest or had the best angles but simply because of the amount of testing and pedigree that ARB has when it comes to animal strikes. In my AO an animal strike is a very common cause of a disabled vehicle. I can't even count the number of times that myself or friends or family have smacked a deer or had close calls with bigger critters around here.

enough rambling, on with the install!

big boxes are fun
serenitybuild10_108.jpg

everything unpacked and sorted. looked like a straightforward operation at this point. little did i know..
serenitybuild10_109.jpg

old valance removed, time to remove old bumper and crush cans..
serenitybuild10_110.jpg

ARB support frame mounted to truck frame..
serenitybuild10_112.jpg

ran into the first issue when we went to mount the tension brackets for the bumper frame. the bolt locations were blocked by the reservoir can brackets. frack. had to drop the sway bar and the rez cans to get these out so they could be drilled...
serenitybuild10_113.jpg

maybe a drillbit will make you behave, stupid metal thing
serenitybuild10_114.jpg

all drilled and re-installed with tension brackets in place..
serenitybuild10_115.jpg

this is about where i went to sleep..
serenitybuild10_116.jpg

next morning: winch wired, solenoid and stuff mounted to bumper
serenitybuild10_117.jpg

bumper on truck!
serenitybuild10_118.jpg

soldering up the light harnesses, yay. thought it was supposed to be plug and play with the fog light kit if you already had the factory fogs.. but no of course not.
serenitybuild10_119.jpg

later on we finally got the lights all installed and buttoned up
serenitybuild10_120.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
hawse fairlead and viking winchline

the next issue was that I wanted to use my Viking 350 series fairlead in this bumper, but the ARBs are not designed to work with a Hawse-style fairlead.. so some modifications and fab work are necessary.

here's waht I started with, a couple pieces of thick wall box tube:
serenitybuild10_121.jpg

Once I got them cut to length and laid out, i cut one wall off:
serenitybuild10_122.jpg

then equalized the cut edges on the surface grinder, making everything square.
serenitybuild10_123.jpg

here is the test fit after drilling the first set of holes:
serenitybuild10_124.jpg

then I laid out the hole pattern from the fairlead and drilled that in:
serenitybuild10_125.jpg

next I cut some extra material off the ends..
serenitybuild10_126.jpg

next they got blasted and painted. While I was waiting for the paint, I wired the winch to the battery, made some grommets for the pass through and loomed all the cables:
serenitybuild10_127.jpg

and here are the fairlead brackets painted and mounted to the bumper:
serenitybuild10_128.jpg

winchline swapped to Viking 3/8 with safety thimble, and fairlead installed
serenitybuild10_129.jpg

almost done!
serenitybuild10_130.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
enlarging the winchline port, stripping the vinyl

Time for the last factory badges to go... Kind of a sad pic.. they had a good run, but it was time.
serenitybuild10_131.jpg

then I noticed a very slight amount of contact between the bottom edge of the winchline opening, and the line itself once it got to the final wrap. I have been advised that Contact between steel edges and the synthetic winchlines is bad juju, however slight..

So, with a heavy heart I took the fairlead off, removed the winchline, and marked out a half inch to cut out of the bottom of the winchline opening :(
serenitybuild10_132.jpg

I was grumpy at that point so didn't get any other pics but here it is after paint, about 5/8" larger opening
serenitybuild10_133.jpg

finally time to tension the line and test it all out!
serenitybuild10_134.jpg

old FJ makes a good anchor
serenitybuild10_135.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
cargo platform

ok I'm back and getting close to being caught up on the build. I am supposed to be going through waypoints and updating some playlists for our trip, but instead I'm on a mission to get this up to date :D

time for our cargo platform mod:

we had been fighting with some serious gear-splosion issues in the back seat area, so we needed a way to tame situations like this:
serenitybuild10_143.jpg

serenitybuild10_144.jpg

started by removing the 60 side rear seat completely (previously we had been running with just the top portion folded down and seat portion removed)
serenitybuild10_145.jpg

cut up some 3/4" board
serenitybuild10_146.jpg

transferred the hole pattern and the radius on the corners from the seat back to the board. test fit:
serenitybuild10_147.jpg

next I measured out the mounting holes for the bottom portion of the original seat and laid out this bracket from 1" angle and flat stock, both 3/16" thick.
serenitybuild10_148.jpg

radius-ified the corners all nice
serenitybuild10_149.jpg

since the cab wall that the seat bottoms attach to is angled a little, I had to bend the legs of my bracket to match
serenitybuild10_150.jpg

paint (for now, got quite the list going to be powdercoated this winter lol)
serenitybuild10_151.jpg

starting on the carpet lamination, actually wifey did most of this while I was working on other stuff :coffeedrink:
serenitybuild10_152.jpg

initial carpeting done, seam sealer in place drying
serenitybuild10_153.jpg

molle panels attached and board mounted to seat pivots, velcro applied across the top edge. you can also see the hold down strap in this pic
serenitybuild10_154.jpg

here is the bracket installed into the lower seat mounting locations. The top is laminated with rubber weatherstripping, and you can see the other end of the hold down strap with fastex buckle
serenitybuild10_155.jpg

the panels loaded up
serenitybuild10_156.jpg

platform folded down, showing the clearance for the cargo
serenitybuild10_157.jpg

various setups:
serenitybuild10_158.jpg

serenitybuild10_159.jpg

serenitybuild10_160.jpg

One of our best mods so far! :costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

oxi

Adventurer
started by selecting some steel, 3x3 angle and box tube:
serenitybuild10_13.jpg

removing the bedside caps:
serenitybuild10_14.jpg

measured and cut the bedside caps, removing the overhang over the rail. once I had the fit I sanded down the edges and cleaned them up.
serenitybuild10_15.jpg

first cuts completed in the steel: fitting up nicely!
serenitybuild10_16.jpg

long cuts completed in the steel, hole patterns transferred and drilled, test fitting:
serenitybuild10_17.jpg

trimmed to length and shaped, starting to look good
serenitybuild10_18.jpg

front:
serenitybuild10_19.jpg

next i fabbed up the rack mounts from the box tube:
serenitybuild10_20.jpg

rack mounts all welded on:
serenitybuild10_21.jpg

Then it was time to put everything together in the bed and make sure the tonneau was gonna fit with the new system and the Frontrunner rack etc. I also needed to get the final measurements for the weatherstripping that I later used to seal between the bed rails and the tonneau rails.

pics from the mockup:
serenitybuild10_22.jpg

tonneau rolled up:
serenitybuild10_23.jpg

tonneau rolled down:
serenitybuild10_24.jpg

Everything fit together pretty well at that point, it is a little tight getting the header installed with the extra thickness of the steel, but it works. Much stronger and more stable than the original mounts I had made.

During the mock up and test fit, I decided to make some tie downs and weld them onto the new bedrail caps as well. Turned out sweet, and have proven to be very useful.
serenitybuild10_25.jpg

At that point I wanted to get them powdercoated, called around and both local shops had a 3 week wait. Well, we had a trip planned so as usual I needed it done and took them in to get Line-X'd instead.. big mistake, came out looking like melted poo and coated so thick with giant runs they wouldn't fit back into the bed. Got my money back from that fiasco, stripped the Line-X off, and rattlecanned them with Krylon. I have plans to take them out again later this winter to make some modifications and will get them powdercoated then.

Like the setup but I am going to try and place side cattle guards, 2 bar system for the sidewalls and design a roof for a custom canvass cover system.

id_cucv2_full1.gif

Kind of like this but not as tall and I will have a roof basket leading into the front of it...

id_lssv_02_7001.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
Like the setup but I am going to try and place side cattle guards, 2 bar system for the sidewalls and design a roof for a custom canvass cover system.

id_cucv2_full1.gif

Kind of like this but not as tall and I will have a roof basket leading into the front of it...

id_lssv_02_7001.jpg

very cool! looking forward to seeing a setup like that on a taco. I really like the idea of a convertible canvas topper, but wanted to keep my tent tucked behind the roof line. Did Can-Back ever start making toppers for the 05+ taco?

frozenground

Adventurer
cargo box install

selected the Hardigg 3100 Stormcases for cargo boxes to mount in the basket. These are excellent rifle cases, and it just so happens they are also the perfect size to fit side by side in the BajaRack basket

serenitybuild10_161.jpg

started by removing all the unnecessary hardware from the cases:
serenitybuild10_162.jpg

next was laying out the hole pattern
serenitybuild10_163.jpg

I used little u-bolts that fit around the basket bars to attach, plus some silicone to seal
serenitybuild10_164.jpg

these pics show how perfect they fit, they even hold each others lids up :cool:
serenitybuild10_165.jpg

serenitybuild10_166.jpg

while I was messing around on the rack, I made this little bracket to bolt to the inside of the fairing to hold the GPS puck. Here it is with some fresh paint
serenitybuild10_167.jpg

In order to get the USB extension through the firewall, I had to cut it and re-solder after it was routed. yay.
serenitybuild10_168.jpg

GlobalSat unit in place, tucked behind the fairing
serenitybuild10_169.jpg

serenitybuild10_170.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
Golight install

Next up I wanted to mount a Golight to the rack, so I purchased a 50W HID Stryker model.

I needed to raise the base of the Golight about 1 inch so it would clear the fairing. In order to do this I had to come up with some sort of bracket.. really wished I had a TIG torch at this point because I would have done this out of aluminum in a heartbeat...
serenitybuild10_171.jpg

anyway after some cutting welding drilling grinding and paint, this is what I came up with :chef:
serenitybuild10_172.jpg

looming the wires on the rack, ran them down in the windshield channel to the aux fuse block
serenitybuild10_173.jpg

here it is in 'park'
serenitybuild10_174.jpg

used some super velcro to attach the remote here for now. it's kind of obnoxious there, but very easy to use.. still trying to think of a more permanent place for it.
serenitybuild10_175.jpg

Golight installed!
serenitybuild10_176.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
Vision X tantrum lights

I showed my wife a vid of these in action on youtube and she loved em, so I got a set to make her happy :sombrero:

first I laid them out to see where they should go in terms of light spill, and started trying to figure out how to attach them
serenitybuild10_177.jpg

ended up making brackets for every damn one of em lol.. made these out of 1/8" alum plate
serenitybuild10_178.jpg

closer pic of the lil buggers
serenitybuild10_179.jpg

routed all the cables up into the engine bay and made some brackets to hold the distribution block on those nuts you see loose there
serenitybuild10_180.jpg

here is the distribution block in place and everything plugged in. There was a bunch of slack in some of the cables, so I had to coil it up in loom for now. Later when I have time I will cut out the excess and solder everything to the correct lengths, but this works for now..
serenitybuild10_181.jpg

here's a couple shots of the lights mounted. I used copious amounts of silicone to seal around them just in case
serenitybuild10_182.jpg

serenitybuild10_183.jpg

and a decent pic of them on :cool:
serenitybuild10_184.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
up to date?

Welp I guess that brings me pretty close to caught up with this build documentation. I know I skipped over a couple smaller things, but all the major stuff has been covered I think.

This last week has been a busy one getting Serenity ready for a wander through Death Valley and west/central NV. We will be out for a few weeks, but will be checking in here as access permits.

- cleaned up a ton of wiring (takes so much time to do it correctly: solder, heat shrink, split loom, repeat, repeat blah blah)
- re-arranged all the gear storage in the cargo platform
- installed Vision X tantrum rock lights
- attempted to seal up some of the places in the bed where dust comes in, used black RTV sealant in all the drain holes and in the cubbies, then used bulb gasket weatherstripping to go around all the tailgate area where it meets the bed. We shall see...
- installed Scrublades wiper blades
- replaced the in-cab air filter with a better washable version
- mounted 2 super Quik Fist clamps in the side of the bed to hold the Hi-Lift
- full service and pre-trip, checked and topped off all fluids, changed oil, etc.
- put on the custom vinyl :D

frozenground

Adventurer
nice build. you sure did do EVERYTHING!

Where did you pick up the GOLight? How do you like it?

thanks man! ordered the Golight from Larson Electronics out of TX
http://www.magnalight.com

Been pretty impressed with it so far. The rock cover thing they ship with it is kinda junky though (mine wouldn't even really stay on, first pothole and it would've went flying) but it didn't matter to me since I was planning on facing it backwards when not in use anyway.

Did I mention I like it :D

Deploy zombie face melter beam!!
serenitybuild10_140.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow. A reader steps away from his PC for 24 hours and look what happens...

You do excellent work. Very creative, elegantly simple solutions and with a high level of craftsmanship.

Your build says, "I know. We're going for a ride." Must be some relation to the Tam family. ;)

Thanks for chronicling your build and spending all this time posting it. Now go have a good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77