Project Serenity: an 08 Tacoma DC overland build-up

wilson

Observer
But after the third coat it looks great! Here it is all re-assembled with some road dust too..
serenitybuild10_42.jpg
[/QUOTE]

what type of liner did you use? has it held up well? what did the prep consist of?

Last edited:

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
installed a 40 liter footwell water tank from Frontrunner.
serenitybuild11_14.jpg

serenitybuild11_15.jpg

How do you like the water tank? I've been debating on this for some time now. I'd love to get my water out of the bed, just hard to justify when my water jugs still hold water...

jds0912

Adventurer
Molle Panels

Great truck, photos and build thread! I am hoping to do something similar to what you did with your back seat, but was wondering where you got those molle panels? I have searched online, but am unable to track down any large ones. Are you happy so far with that storage system? Thanks!

frozenground

Adventurer
hello came across your build from your recent trip. Afew questions you added breather tubes in the begginning but no snorkel? where did you locate the front tubes? also any opionions on the air compressor you installed is it working good and comments?
I figured the rear diff would get submerged long before the intake, so that was the priority. Haven't gotten the truck deep enough to really need a snorkel, but I'm going to install one anyway, mostly to move the intake up out of the dust. The breathers for the front are in the engine bay, they were set up like that from the factory.

Air compressor is still working fine, although I think the 33s are pushing its limits. It takes a lot longer to go from 18 to 30-35psi than it did when I was on the 275s.

frozenground

Adventurer
But after the third coat it looks great! Here it is all re-assembled with some road dust too..
serenitybuild10_42.jpg

what type of liner did you use? has it held up well? what did the prep consist of?[/QUOTE]

I forget exactly, something that came from walmart in a can, rustoleum maybe? It's held up ok for the most part, except the front corners where it takes gravel hits. A little touch up once in awhile and it's good though. Prep was a lot of sanding/roughing the chrome and wipe down with acetone.

frozenground

Adventurer
How do you like the water tank? I've been debating on this for some time now. I'd love to get my water out of the bed, just hard to justify when my water jugs still hold water...

Awesome water tank solution, as long as you don't need the footwell room for anything else. Keeps all the weight nice and low and centered, and frees up room in the bed. One down side is you have to manually transfer the water over the transmission hump by lifting one end of the tank. With an electric pump added however, it may be the perfect removable water tank...

frozenground

Adventurer
Great truck, photos and build thread! I am hoping to do something similar to what you did with your back seat, but was wondering where you got those molle panels? I have searched online, but am unable to track down any large ones. Are you happy so far with that storage system? Thanks!
thanks! the fold down platform/storage system has been great and really one of the best mods we did in terms of organizing and storing the gear we don't use that often but want quick access to when it is needed, ie FAK/trauma gear, emergency/survival stuff, as well as extra TP/paper towels, PC gear, blankets, jet boil fuel etc etc etc :costumed-smiley-007

the molle panels I used were contract over-runs. they used to be sold by tactical tailor and other surplus type stores I think, kinda surprising they are not easy to find still..

CalgaryRider

WOW, now that is a build on a Tacoma!

Lots of great ideas, love how you were able to fit a bed rack and a cover. Have you had any issues with the cold and winter with the fridge mounted in the bed?

frozenground

Adventurer
WOW, now that is a build on a Tacoma!

Lots of great ideas, love how you were able to fit a bed rack and a cover. Have you had any issues with the cold and winter with the fridge mounted in the bed?

Thanks! No problems with the fridge at all in 3 years of hard use in everything from 110+ degrees in Death Valley running continuously, to single digit temps here in the winter (knock on wood real quick ;) ) I don't leave the fridge in the truck all the time though, it comes out and gets stored in the garage when we are not using it.

and here's a cool pic from a recent trip :D
opanza_16.jpg

Last edited:

NetDep

Adventurer
That is certainly one amazing truck!! Great work and lots of love you have in her -- I have "borrowed" a few of your ideas -- thanks for being generous enough to share. I was wondering - pretty sure I read the whole build - you mention a rifle rack. I am keenly interested in a way to carry a long gun - the racks you mention mount to the roof? Have you done it - do you have pics? For me - it seems the roof is a bit low and with an AR-15 or Rem 870 I might slice my head open if I hit a bump!! Wondering if your reaseach has any floor mounted options - maybe in the back seat or a barrel down option for the front? Sorry if you covered this elsewhere....amazing stuff!!

soonenough

Explorer
...you mention a rifle rack. I am keenly interested in a way to carry a long gun - the racks you mention mount to the roof? Have you done it - do you have pics? For me - it seems the roof is a bit low and with an AR-15 or Rem 870 I might slice my head open if I hit a bump!!
I think the long gun mounts you're referring to are the Pelican cases he mounted to the roof rack on top of the truck, not inside the cab (see post #69 of this thread). I've always thought an interior overhead storage system was a cool idea though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77