Questions about Defender 110

Ray,
I have shipped three 110's in the past 8 months out of Jebel Ali, UAE. They have all been rust free V8 trucks since fuel is stupid cheap there. Sun damage on dash seats and rubber around windows is about all you have to worry about. No such thing as rust there. Import through Baltimore hasn't been a problem with them. If this is a pcs for you we should get a thing going once your feet are on the ground there. We could let Tony sell them since he seems to have an affinity for that skill set.

Ray_G

Explorer
Lets talk at Wintergreen, don't want to hijack Nick's thread but if this all comes to fruition I'll be throughout the region-not just UAE-and am totally amenable to spotting/assessing/facilitating/etc!

overlander

Expedition Leader
The Doug the Great has spoken. He IS the final word in N. America on this topic.

great_powerful_oz.gif

Hello Nick,

I have a great 110 for sale with a sleeping roof, 300TDI automatic gearbox, disc brakes on rear axle, extra fuel tank, 220V, spilt battery system, and many more. It is in exellent technical condition and equipped with many extra's. Year of build 1983. Its a very special 110 because its in very good and original condition still. Its from Zwitserland originally and they don't use salt on the roads there. The 110 is in the Netherlands so that's not to far from Sicily. If you're interested please let me know yhen I can send you some more information. Best regards, Paul vd Beek: PSP Expeditioncampers Holland

Last edited:
300TDI automatic gearbox, disc brakes on rear axle. Year of build 1983. Its a very special 110 because its in very good and original condition still.

In order for Nick to be able to bring the truck back to the US which is his stated objective, the truck cannot have; brake upgrades, nor an engine or transmission swap. US Customs will decode the VIN number and the decoded vin must be what is in front of the inspecting officer.

o2batsea

Maybe start shipping parts home as soon as you get there, so by the time you return the entire truck will be here waiting for you (to reassemble it)

NickH

Observer
I am still around, been doing a lot of research. I think the 110 would be out of the question because they just arn't there for 25+ years but 90s all day long. I have some hunting needs that need to be met in terms of hunting and camping. I am not sure the defenders drivetrain (at 25+ years) would be able to handle larger tires (possibly up to 35s), and after talking to a rover company I get the idea that these are very very very expensive to have major maint done on.

Howski

I am not sure the defenders drivetrain (at 25+ years) would be able to handle larger tires (possibly up to 35s), and after talking to a rover company I get the idea that these are very very very expensive to have major maint done on.

They can handle up to 33's without issue. If you bump up to 35's you would really need to regear and throw in some stronger axles. After owning my 90 for 2 years I've got to say it's been cheap to maintain. Parts are very reasonable if you use the proper vendors and they're very easy to work on if you're willing to turn a wrench. That said, they're not for everyone

NickH

Observer
Well, I'm an aviation structural mech by trade and now qualified welder. Before leave OKC, my toy rig was an 01 XJ on 6.5 lift, 33s, 4.56 gears, and I swapped the LP dana 30 for a HP. I know my way around lifted rigs and wrenches but no idea about defenders. I am only authorized to own 3 vehicles during my entire 3 years. We already have my wifes Jetta going and I might pick up a mini or something for my DD (need something small for a DD, so I have been told). I am considering holding out for a correct age 110 to import back.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Another good option for a 110 is Australia if you dont mind RHD , they had the option of a Izuzu 3.9 diesel as standard , and due dryness , of climate esp in WA pretty corrosion free.

NickH

Observer
Well, I am going to be living in Italy for 3 years and that's why I'd like to pick one up while I am there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven