Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

ttengineer

Adventurer
The synergy springs are made with the same profile as the stock / factory springs. If you take a factory / synergy spring and set it on a flat surface it will basically stand straight up. The Thuren and Carli springs will fall over. They will fall over because the end of the spring that is made to sit in the bottom / axle side perch is actually not flat / parallel to the axle tube (attached pics). When I spoke with both Thuren and Carli they both told me using their respective springs with the AEV brackets that correct the lower mounting surface would exaggerate / compound the arch in the spring. At first I thought, well, how could it be any worse than the arch in the stock spring? As I was told by both companies independently, their springs are considerably longer than the stock springs, they do this because their spring rates are much softer and then require a longer spring to accommodate a lift height. Their springs are in the range of 4-7 inches longer than a stock coil spring (depending on lift height). Because of this soft rate, more windings and longer spring along with the lower coil design to compensate for the factories crazy design, if you were to put them on the AEV lower bracket you would cause the coil spring to bow / deflect considerably.

I myself considered doing the same thing you are talking about (Thuren springs) and by the way, I found Thuren to have better customer service as far as answering questions without a financial commitment on my part to buy their stuff. Of Course, this could be because Carli is very busy, I don't know. Anyways...

I also considered running a Thuren suspension with the Lewis Built Arms to move the front axle forward but in the end after several Emails and a lengthy conversation with Thuren who educated me on coil design, alignment and why its important for a coil spring to be positioned a certain way I decided it was not in my best interest to force it to work.

I also considered just running a full coilover and Bypass shock setup in the front, but Im not going fast and my experience with coilover's on jeeps actually sucked. I absolutely prefer a coil spring and quality shock assembly for stability and maintenance compared to coilover's, so that was out also.

When did you speak with Don? When I last spoke to him he said his springs would work with the AEV kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
The synergy springs are made with the same profile as the stock / factory springs. If you take a factory / synergy spring and set it on a flat surface it will basically stand straight up. The Thuren and Carli springs will fall over. They will fall over because the end of the spring that is made to sit in the bottom / axle side perch is actually not flat / parallel to the axle tube (attached pics). When I spoke with both Thuren and Carli they both told me using their respective springs with the AEV brackets that correct the lower mounting surface would exaggerate / compound the arch in the spring. At first I thought, well, how could it be any worse than the arch in the stock spring? As I was told by both companies independently, their springs are considerably longer than the stock springs, they do this because their spring rates are much softer and then require a longer spring to accommodate a lift height. Their springs are in the range of 4-7 inches longer than a stock coil spring (depending on lift height). Because of this soft rate, more windings and longer spring along with the lower coil design to compensate for the factories crazy design, if you were to put them on the AEV lower bracket you would cause the coil spring to bow / deflect considerably.

I myself considered doing the same thing you are talking about (Thuren springs) and by the way, I found Thuren to have better customer service as far as answering questions without a financial commitment on my part to buy their stuff. Of Course, this could be because Carli is very busy, I don't know. Anyways...

I also considered running a Thuren suspension with the Lewis Built Arms to move the front axle forward but in the end after several Emails and a lengthy conversation with Thuren who educated me on coil design, alignment and why its important for a coil spring to be positioned a certain way I decided it was not in my best interest to force it to work.

I also considered just running a full coilover and Bypass shock setup in the front, but Im not going fast and my experience with coilover's on jeeps actually sucked. I absolutely prefer a coil spring and quality shock assembly for stability and maintenance compared to coilover's, so that was out also.

When did you speak with Don? When I last spoke to him he said his springs would work with the AEV kit.

And I mis spoke earlier. Diesel Power Products used pure performance 2" coils.

Ravenmad

Observer
This was the Email I received... In the end, its your money and your rig, I will look forward to seeing it in use. I only add the text of the Email because I don't like people thinking Im full of hot air or making stuff up just to prove a point or justify my own choices. No big deal either way, if it works for you I am absolutely going to swap springs out to soften the ride...

" Morning!

The OEM coils are flat on each end, and will "stand up" on either end on the ground.... The OEM ram coil seats are angled... Totally DUMB design, as it makes the OEM coils "bow" and look like they want to shoot out of the seats....

My coils are angle seat "corrected"... Basically the end tips are alternating and clocked to mechanically straighten them, in the weird seats. AEV angle corrects their spacers to use OEM coils, so my coils don't work with the AEV stuff.

Put my coils in the AEV(or any spacer for that matter) and they will force themselves to "bow."

You can see the open ends of my coils here....

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/m...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/a/rafc25_500_1.jpg

So from there, if you run the AEV cut outs you could get 39x13.5's on there with my suspension. I have 38x15.5 on my personal truck and it fits fine with the standard trimming. You would just need to be sure to get 0.00mm offset wheels to clear the radius arm and swaybar.

Questions?

Thanks!

:)

Don Thuren - ThurenFabrication.com - (541) 508-9104 "

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
2 tires mounted and balanced. Should get the other 3 mounted and balanced tomorrow. 1 tire only took 8 ounces to balance and the other took 10 ounces. These tires were "very" round, actually, they are rounder than the 40 inch MTR-Ks on my Jeep.

Attachments

• 20180416_162412.jpg
    20180416_162412.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180416_162425.jpg
    20180416_162425.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182

Explorerinil

Observer
2 tires mounted and balanced. Should get the other 3 mounted and balanced tomorrow. 1 tire only took 8 ounces to balance and the other took 10 ounces. These tires were "very" round, actually, they are rounder than the 40 inch MTR-Ks on my Jeep.
Very nice! Love the rims.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have been really impressed with the Thuren coils so far, very good ride and like the man himself said, they don't bow forward like the factory designed coils.

Ravenmad

Observer
I have been really impressed with the Thuren coils so far, very good ride and like the man himself said, they don't bow forward like the factory designed coils.

No exaggeration, I was very impressed with the time Don gave me and his willingness to talk through some of my thoughts. I absolutely believe Carli is very good quality, but I can't dismiss the customer service at Thuren. When I upgrade a few of the AEV parts (rear springs, rear track bar and bracket, etc.) it will be with Thuren parts for sure.

Ravenmad

Observer
Well, today was the first of what Im sure will be a 2 day and probably 20 hour endeavor to install AEV Highmark fender flares on the truck. I left the house this morning at 0700 and headed for the shop were I could work on it out of the weather and in a nice warm environment.

It snowed yesterday and a little through the night, no worries, to the shop I go...

Attachments

• 20180421_070224.jpg
    20180421_070224.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84

Ravenmad

Observer
Here is a before and after on the rear flares, factory vs. AEV.

Pic. quality is not so good, sorry...

Attachments

• 20180421_085004.jpg
    20180421_085004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
  • 2187_1524357819801.jpeg
    2187_1524357819801.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
Some misc. pics of the process. No question, these flares are very strong, not some simple little overlay that is held on with some sheetmetal screws and 3M tape... If you are not ready and willing to spend a lot of time installing these things, stick with 37s. I think I told my friend today, no less than 4 times, that if I had read the install instructions before I bought the flares, I probably would have just run 37s... lolol.... NNNAAAAAAAAA

Attachments

• 20180421_094531.jpg
    20180421_094531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • 20180421_160448.jpg
    20180421_160448.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 162
  • 2175_1524357934199.jpeg
    2175_1524357934199.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 20180421_174302.jpg
    20180421_174302.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 165

Ravenmad

Observer
Yup. I am. I'll have the factory flares and a set of the factory bilstien shocks that come with the Offload package as well as the AEV Bilstien 5100s to sell as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy