*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

skywhitney

Squirrel
Quick question...what, if any, are the benefits to a SFK other than lift and some increased articulation?

Edit: did some more reading and answered my own question.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BanksyB31

Did u open up the fender and bumper more? how are you liking the off-road and on-road characteristics, anything you have a desire to change? I envy you being able to park it for the winter, ill be in Connecticut until march cringing and washing meticulously everytime it snows. Is there anything you would have done differently with this build if it was also your daily driver?

:beer:

rickashay

Explorer
Part III of Colossal 2016 is now live on the TMCO website HERE.

Next Friday we will release the final instalment as well as the video edit. Stay tuned and thank for following along!

rickashay

Explorer
Did u open up the fender and bumper more? how are you liking the off-road and on-road characteristics, anything you have a desire to change? I envy you being able to park it for the winter, ill be in Connecticut until march cringing and washing meticulously everytime it snows. Is there anything you would have done differently with this build if it was also your daily driver?

:beer:

The rear fender is untouched. The front has been tubbed and the fender has been opened about 1-1/4" if I recall (discussion and photos somewhere in this thread).

I would honestly say that this truck is definitely a compromise in offroad capability, but it easily makes up for that in its level of comfort and driveability. The ultimate goal for this build was to remain comfortable and driveable for long distance highway hauls and still be able to air down the tires and do some moderately difficult terrain. I think I have accomplished that in spades and despite the fact that I do not daily drive this truck today, I would do so at any point in time without regret. I said this recently in another thread, but it truly is the best vehicle I've ever built (for my uses) as it really does all things well. The ultimate all-rounder.

Winter salt sucks. Fluid Film the crap out of it!

BanksyB31

The rear fender is untouched. The front has been tubbed and the fender has been opened about 1-1/4" if I recall (discussion and photos somewhere in this thread).

Yea my bad, I should have been more specific. I was aware of the fender work you did initially when you tubbed it. The recent photos lead me to think you might have taken more off. Thx for the insight.

PaintRock

Adventurer
I have a quick question. I'm really needing to put some aux. lights on my Tundra. I want to build something similar to your light bar, but I was thinking rather than weld it to the bumber, I would re-use the metal tabs behind the grill that are used in conjunction with the plastic rivets to hold on the fascia. There are three holes and an 8mm bolt fits the holes just about perfectly. Did you happen to try that and decide it wasn't strong enough?

I'd also like to see how you wired your lights...

rickashay

Explorer
Great pics. Cant wait for the vid.

Thanks for the kind worse....Teaser below and final edit will drop Friday this week. Stoked!

Yea my bad, I should have been more specific. I was aware of the fender work you did initially when you tubbed it. The recent photos lead me to think you might have taken more off. Thx for the insight.

Not a problem. Good Luck!

I have a quick question. I'm really needing to put some aux. lights on my Tundra. I want to build something similar to your light bar, but I was thinking rather than weld it to the bumber, I would re-use the metal tabs behind the grill that are used in conjunction with the plastic rivets to hold on the fascia. There are three holes and an 8mm bolt fits the holes just about perfectly. Did you happen to try that and decide it wasn't strong enough?

I'd also like to see how you wired your lights...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean without seeing the bracket. All I know is that the front crossmember was hand down the most sturdy thing under there so I thought it was perfect for the bar mount. Front bumper with lights being the more permanent solution.

I just have the BD wiring harness and one of their splitters to fire the 3rd light. Let me know if you need anything specifically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven