Roll cages, your views

gjackson

FRGS
I'm obviously a fan of the cage, though we did it mainly to support the roof rack. Defender upper roof structure just can't handle the abuse that roof racks can dish out. Safety was another concern, though if I roll my D it would not be pretty. With any luck the passengers would survive. The cage is tied into the frame, but no cross bracing inside the cage.

cheers

Chucaro

Adventurer
gjackson said:
I'm obviously a fan of the cage, though we did it mainly to support the roof rack. Defender upper roof structure just can't handle the abuse that roof racks can dish out. Safety was another concern, though if I roll my D it would not be pretty. With any luck the passengers would survive. The cage is tied into the frame, but no cross bracing inside the cage.

cheers
By looking at your rig I still believe that it is heaps more strong than from the factory. Perhaps to complement it (depends in the interior setup) would be a good idea to fit a roll bar.cargo barrier behind the rear seats. This bar with cross members will assist the external cage.
Just an example of cargo barrier/roll bar adding mesh

Andrew-b-merkin

A nice internal cage

Here is a nice internal cage note the use of plate steel down along the side of the dash which keeps access to all of the dash controls and keeps you from having to cut the dash for the down pipes:

gjackson

FRGS
I've considered putting in a hoop behind the seats. I keep going back and forth about it and I think I'll end up doing it eventually. My hang up is actually with the current cage. I was considering swapping it out for a SD cage, just because I like the way it fits the truck better. I'm not a big fan of my hoops coming down to the sliders; I'd prefer it if they went through the body to the frame a la SD. But it is what I've got, and an SD cage is $expensive$!!

A further benefit of an external cage is the feeling of invincibility when driving. And in places like Casablanca and Nouakchott feeling invincible in your car is like manna from heaven!

cheers

Chucaro

Adventurer
[QUOTE.........................................................................................
A further benefit of an external cage is the feeling of invincibility when driving. And in places like Casablanca and Nouakchott feeling invincible in your car is like manna from heaven!

cheers[/QUOTE]

I know about it I used to have the same feeling with my 109 :D :D specially in the round abouts here in Oz

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Also, roll cages are also often called safari cages, and if you do roll it, you can say "dude, I went on safari" :xxrotflma

Okay, yeah, you're right, it's late, I should go to bed.

revor

Explorer
Connie said:
Also, roll cages are also often called safari cages, and if you do roll it, you can say "dude, I went on safari" :xxrotflma

Okay, yeah, you're right, it's late, I should go to bed.

Bedtime for you!!! Good try though :)

This is what I have for my truck, Lots to work around in the interior but considering that within the truck there will be less gear and more warm blooded critters I'm not too worried.

gjackson

FRGS
Keith,

If you get the water tank I have, it will interfere with the cage. The fuel tank may as well. Those rear pillars are going to be hard to work around . . .

cheers

revor

Explorer
gjackson said:
Keith,

If you get the water tank I have, it will interfere with the cage. The fuel tank may as well. Those rear pillars are going to be hard to work around . . .

cheers

Thanks for the heads up Graham! While the cage I have is nearly complete several of the attachment brackets are missing. Not a big deal to fab them up and I seem to recall that the rear pillars where a bit different than what is shown in the print. After talking with the US SD distributor some years ago he told me indeed there where different options for mounting at the rear. I'm thinking it's going to be a fit the tanks, measure, pull out the tanks, make and install the brackets, cross my fingers and install the tanks sort of thing. I'll simply be driving a convertable 110 around for a while:)

gordo

First post. Heres a external cage Ive built on a 73 Series "hybrid" Im building. The cage is a shortened D90 external cage (bettaweld) in the rear, the front was built from DOM 1 3/4 .120 wall tube. The feet are all 1 3/4 DOM welded to 1/4 plate that bolt onto the rocksliders. The sliders are welded onto the frame with 1/4 spreader plates and 1/4 angle is welded into the corners were the feet mount. I did it this way so I still remove the front foot to take the fender off. Its heavy as hell but I figure its pretty safe. Feel free to offer any advice. This is my first true 4x4 build and Im learning as I go. Gordon.

Attachments

• normal_DSCN2475.JPG
    normal_DSCN2475.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 110
  • normal_DSCN2431.JPG
    normal_DSCN2431.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 76
  • normal_DSCN2441.JPG
    normal_DSCN2441.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 66

Chucaro

Adventurer
Nice project how advanced it is now?
The cage looks very solid and the Landy can take the weight without problems.
Cheers

gordo

Thanks guys. The truck is going to be a trail truck but Im hoping it will also be pretty driveable on the street. Id say Im just past 2/3 of the way done. The frame is an 89 Range Rover so I had to do some fabbing to make everything off the series fit. Just a couple things left to tidy up and then I can rip it apart, weld the frame up for real and start assembling for good.

Tyler Wirken

Hey Gordon! Looking good! Glad to see my old cage is getting a good home. Keep us updated! Cool project. One of these days I will have an update on my project for you!

Tyler

gordo

Thanks Tyler! It really worked out well for my project. Just pulled it off this past weekend and did some more gusseting. I got paint on it today. Thanks again. Gordo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwralliance