Scoutkid's van is HERE!!!

scoutkid

Van Builder
!!! Teaser pic for now!!

6064012974_9acaf773e1_z.jpg

Short story - 2003 E350, 180k miles, 7.3L PSD!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo happy!!!:wings::wings::wings:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Looks like a wonderful platform and a great starting point. I look forward to seeing the butterfly emerge.

scoutkid

Van Builder
Backstory:

So last year I was up camping in the Rocky Mountains, and had my first real jonesing for a Sportsmobile. I saw one at a lake, with a canoe on top. I fell in love with the idea, and began research.

I travel throughout the Western half of the US for my job, and I have the OPTION to drive and be reimbursed for milage if I want. I typically fly because it's quicker. But my mind began to wander and I did some calculations.

If I say, left on a Friday night and headed West to Los Angeles, I could camp all weekend in Moab or Arches natl Park, then work the week in LA (staying at hotels on the company dime, as usual) then come back on the next weekend camping/exploring along the way. If I did a trip like that every few months I found out I could make the payment on USED Sportsmobile ($50k range).

I searched around for the right Sportsmobile for several months and couldn't find anything that was an EB, Diesel, traveltop... etc. I realized I am sort of a resourceful fellow and found this place, and Ujoint's conversion!

I switched gears and began the search for the perfect project van. In MAY of this year, I found this beauty on Craigslist in Albequerque. Listed for $3000, I thought it may be a scam. I started emailing and texting the owner, who was actually thinking about pulling down the listing that day and keeping the van. After a few weeks of back and forth, I offered $2500 and he agreed.

My plan was to fly to Albequerque and drive it home to Golden. The airfare one way was only $50 so how could I lose?! Well, it turns out there was a problem with the title. The title company couldn't get their ducks in a row and I wasn't about to go get a van with no clean title. So I waited. And waited. And waited... I checked in every few weeks and the owner said he would call the title company, and they said 'should have it soon'. During this waiting period, I kept my eyes PEELED for deals on craigslist, see the next post for what I found along the way.

Well, about 2 weeks ago he got the title in the mail, and said he was actually headed to DENVER in a few weeks, and had a ride back to New Mexico if needed!!

So not only did I score this amazing van for $2500, it was driven TO me free of charge! (I threw in a 12 pack for him :) )

I figured him driving it 7 hours straight was a pretty good test drive, and I put the cash in his hand the moment he got out of the van!

An introduction to the van to follow, with pics! :sombrero:

scoutkid

Van Builder
Welcome to my Van:

Approaching the van from the passenger side, I am pleased to have the double side doors.

IMG02093-20110821-1123.jpg

The wooden step is nice - this will be gone fairly quickly...

IMG02092-20110821-1123.jpg

Around back is the most odd feature. Someone decided to cut the rear barn doors in half and install a solid upper glass section. I am not 100% sure what to do about this yet, but the good thing is the stock hinges are in place.

IMG02086-20110821-1117.jpg

This is a quick shot from the inside looking at the flange the upper half of the doors USUALLY meets with. You might not be able to see it, but it appears that this unique one piece window frame is just glued to the original flange!! My hopes are that they glued it in, then bond-0'd the outside. That way I should be able to pop it out, sand a bit and put in a full set of junkyard barn doors again. I HOPE.

IMG02107-20110821-1132.jpg

The side doors already have nice aluminum panels and they should clean up just fine (perhaps add an engine turned look to them?)

IMG02108-20110821-1134.jpg

One very unexpected and very welcome feature is the passenger seat already has a swivel base! The drivers side does not, but maybe some day...

IMG02109-20110821-1137.jpg

The floor in the rear, while dirty, looks robust and well built with a nice aluminum edge piece and the type of rubber flooring I was thinking of putting down anyhow. It is nice that the floor is already flat, and I should be able to just router in place some grooves for an in-floor track system.

IMG02094-20110821-1125.jpg

Looking to the rear, you will see that the travel top is already nicely trimmed in and has SEVERAL light sources. Also, the headliner is in PERFECT shape, which I didn't expect either. All of the standard 'dome' lights turn on and off with the doors opening and shutting which just blows my mind. The van is also already set up for rear heat and AC ducts with their own separate (working!) switch. This will be great for ski trips and keeping folks warm!

IMG02085-20110821-1116.jpg

IMG02099-20110821-1127.jpg

Both the front and rear bulkhead spaces already have nice built in cabinets with a lot of room in them. I like the utilitarian material choices. Having this much already built out makes decisions moving forward easy. Melamine and aluminum shall be the build materials going forward. Easy to clean, easy to work with. I had thoughts of building nice Cherry cabinets but this makes life much simpler :) There are lights in each bulkhead which will come in handy - none of the 120V stuff is operational, and I will show you why in a bit..

IMG02104-20110821-1130.jpg

IMG02105-20110821-1130.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, I've never seen a rear door mod like that, interesting. It's cool how they kept the stock headliner & moved it up. You definitely scored on this deal.

scoutkid

Van Builder
A few more interior shots.

These florescent lights are pretty ugly, but can be changed out simple enough. Someone already helped me out with the ones on the passenger side! lol

IMG02100-20110821-1127.jpg

IMG02101-20110821-1128.jpg

Looks like the switch panel for all the interior lights used to be here...

IMG02103-20110821-1129.jpg

but behind it now looks like this...

IMG02102-20110821-1129.jpg

No biggie! Nothing a little aluminum switch panel won't clean up nicely!

This is the current view inside the funky little back half doors....

IMG02088-20110821-1120.jpg

Where you will find this.

IMG02089-20110821-1122.jpg

And what are in those little j-boxes? MORE 110V outlets! I think there are a total of 10 outlets currently inside the van. I plan to keep them wired up, but move them to locations that make sense for me.

IMG02090-20110821-1122.jpg

It also looks like there was a hookup on the outside for water at one point. I'm not 100% sure, but sort of handy that it is already there.

IMG02079-20110821-1111.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
99% of whats shown so far: BITCHEN!!! Rear Barn Door Mods: ******!?!? But atleast it doesnt look permanently fugly.

scoutkid

Van Builder
Onto electrical/mechanical!

Standard engine bay shot. Everything seems in place and functional. The drivers side is nice and clean, but as you will see, I have a pretty major oil leak SOMEWHERE on the passenger side that will need to be addressed.

Owner did a hand calc and made 17 MPG from NM to Denver. Also lost 1 quart of oil from the leak. It isn't burning it, no smoke in the exhaust and TONS of (stock) power! (that will change!! :ylsmoke: )

2.jpg

Upon closer inspection the first thing I saw was OH MY GOD!!

4.jpg

Any ideas what this AmpTech would go to? I'm gonna be chasing wires for a while...

3.jpg

Now, I saw a few 'little' cables dangling from the front...

5.jpg

Yes, those are almost as thick as the stock swaybar... and they go alllll the way across the front of the van, down the drivers side frame rail and up through this hole:

IMG02083-20110821-1115.jpg

Which goes to this nicely built cabinet:

IMG02095-20110821-1125.jpg

Which doesn't look like it was not meant to be opened too frequently due to a distinct lack of hinges and tumblocks on both sides...

IMG02097-20110821-1126.jpg

And to right here OH MY GOD. They are massive, and LIVE and not connected to anything anymore, LOL. I ASSUME there used to be a large inverter living in here. I have a lot to learn about inverters, but at least I have some serious AMP capability built in already!!

IMG02096-20110821-1126.jpg

What is powering all this you ask? A simple alternator? NAY! I am basically driving around a 7.3L diesel generator! I don't know ANYTHING about it, but this thing is freaking massive.

HUGE%252520ALT.jpg

scoutkid

Van Builder
And now a few of oddities/questions.

There is a CAT5 connection under the drivers seat.

IMG02084-20110821-1116.jpg

I HATE when people do this, and I can't wait to find out where it goes...

IMG02077-20110821-1110.jpg

These 2 plugs are up by the ebrake pedal. I know sometimes factory harnesses have extra unused plugs. Are these for something like electric doors and windows, which I do not have? Anyone have any info?

IMG02078-20110821-1111.jpg

Another ******?! What goes over that MASSIVE HOLE in my intake?! This is AFTER the filter? Anything could get inside my motor. If someone A) can show me what goes there or B) can direct me to the best DIY or online free flowing intake I would appreciate it!!

6.jpg

I don't know why, but I did not expect this beast to have rear discs. Not that it matters (see next post :smiley_drive: ) I would think this would be a sweet swap for someone, hopefully I can get a few $$ out of it. Anyone sell one lately? What did you ask for it?

IMG02081-20110821-1113.jpg

This is some sort of adjustment cable that was lying on top of the engine - appears broken. I don't know what the other end is hooked to yet, but if you can tell me, it would save me some time! And I will buy you a beer at the next van-together.

IMG02110-20110821-1139.jpg

And finally, looking underneath the desk built into the rear of the van, there is this odd little passage. Some friends were guessing this was a blood drive van, and perhaps a small double sided fridge went there? I have just stopped guessing at this point.

IMG02098-20110821-1127.jpg

After I pull a bunch of things out, it looks like I will have quite a bit of aluminum to reuse, and I'm betting I can rip the rear desk into narrower strips and use it for a countertop on the sides!

scoutkid

Van Builder
Hedging my bets...

I like to give myself motivation for projects by collecting the parts I will need before I even get the project vehicle. That way, every time I trip over something in the shop it reminds me that I have $$ tied up that isn't doing me any good.

SO, like I said, I started looking for parts in May. I got my quote from Chris for all the 4x4 conversion parts (minus the axles).

Because for $700 I picked up this set of 1 tons from a 2004 F350. Brakes are great, BJ's are tight, and it has ALL the steering gear.

IMG02114-20110821-1430.jpg

The axles are loaded with 3.73's, and as I will be putting a lot of highway miles on this bad boy I think I will leave them at that for now with the 315's.

IMG02116-20110821-1432.jpg

For $600 I snagged a 4R100 and NP271 and front drive shaft out of a 7.3L F250, including the shifter and boot. I have already called the local tranny shop (ATS ;) ) to get a quote for swapping tailshafts for me. Unless someone here can convince me to do it myself! Lol. Apparently the tranny in the van was rebuilt recently and it SURE does shift like it! Super smooth.

IMG02115-20110821-1430.jpg

And lastly, just yesterday pre-van delivery, I picked up a set of stock F350 aluminum wheels for $200 with a set of roller 285's on them. They will be good enough to drive me to the tire shop to get the 315's :)

IMG02117-20110821-1438.jpg

So far, that puts me out $4,000 for everything I have, van and all. I have almost that to put towards the U-joint kit. I'm a craigslist WHORE, so I plan on scrapping/selling anything I take off this thing to recover costs. That will include selling things like the rear axle, wheels. Scrapping all the leftovers from the IFS. Selling the 2WD tranny, etc.

You will notice something funny in this last pic..

IMG02113-20110821-1429.jpg

My shop door is 9'10". My van is 9'7" already!!

Sooooo... while I was thinking about doing mostly interior work for a while, and 4x4 in the fall.. I now think I have to switch that up because I will be doing my 4x4 conversion outside!! :( That means Chris will be getting a call soon! Ohhhh Chris...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater